ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 10, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #12,917 of 16,326
Ah, the elephant in the room!
This is like Alien vs Predator; the showdown everyone wanted to see :D
I'm following this thread (for DP-X1A specifically) and that thread..
Hoping to get more clarity on the key differences between them both, since they are technically very similar.
They both seem outstanding on paper at least, and I'm reasonably sure one of them will be my next DAP.
But who will be the lucky challenger? :tongue_smile:

With any luck, there'll be some contributions from someone who has tried both (since I imagine it's unlikely someone would buy both!)

I would say its more like Predators 2010 with Laurence Fishburne. There were two types of Predators in that movie. :)

I will galdly be at the front of the line to purchase a Fiio x5 3 gen and compare it to my beloved DP-X1A.

Jan 10, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #12,918 of 16,326
So far I am not really thrilled with the battery life of the DP-X1. If downloading HiRes files with Tidal over WiFi cuts the battery by approx. 50% after one hour of downloading... Fine for me if that is what it is. 

However even with everything deactivated (WiFi OFF, Bluetooth OFF, Screen set to lowest brightness but mainly OFF) and listening to Tidal in offline mode the battery is draining fast (3-5 hours max).

Battery life seems to be longer when using Onkyo's native app...

I tried the follwing cups:
Beyerdynamic T90 (250 ohm)
Beyerdynamic DT990 Edition (250 ohm)
as well as my Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 (reshelled)
*** all not balanced ***

After I exchanged the original batteries of the iBassos (both DX50 as well as DX90) I could listen for approx. 14 hours.
I already see myself running around with an iPhone 7, the Onkyo DP-X1 and  couple of power banks to avoid running out of juice...

Jan 10, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #12,919 of 16,326
So far I am not really thrilled with the battery life of the DP-X1. If downloading HiRes files with Tidal over WiFi cuts the battery by approx. 50% after one hour of downloading... Fine for me if that is what it is. 

However even with everything deactivated (WiFi OFF, Bluetooth OFF, Screen set to lowest brightness but mainly OFF) and listening to Tidal in offline mode the battery is draining fast (3-5 hours max).

Battery life seems to be longer when using Onkyo's native app...

I tried the follwing cups:
Beyerdynamic T90 (250 ohm)
Beyerdynamic DT990 Edition (250 ohm)
as well as my Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 (reshelled)
*** all not balanced ***

After I exchanged the original batteries of the iBassos (both DX50 as well as DX90) I could listen for approx. 14 hours.
I already see myself running around with an iPhone 7, the Onkyo DP-X1 and  couple of power banks to avoid running out of juice...

I think thats odd, i could easily get through a 12 hour shift on one charge using Tidal offline and sometimes some stored music on the player. I always leave the screen off in airplane mode also using SE jack with ACG on low gain.

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #12,920 of 16,326
Could anyone here compare DPX1A (on balance) to QP1R? Thanks. 

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #12,922 of 16,326
  Fiio x5iii looks amazing with its dual 4490 chips. But I doubt it'll be as fluid as the onkyo given that it has a dated rockchip processor and only 1GB Ram. 

Look at the X7 thread and the numerous complain. Though Fiio has come a long way to fix the bugs on their beta FW. It's far as smooth as Onkyo's. 

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #12,923 of 16,326
I have the X7 and its not nearly as fluid as the DP-x1
I find the X1 to be more resolving and to have a wider sound stage. X7 has a warmer, thicker bass and has software bugs.

X7 supports USB mass storage (looks like a disk to a mac) where x1 does not (big bummer for Mac users of Onkyo)

On all counts I expect the X5iii to be not as good as the DP-X1, aside from price and USB mass storage

Is the Onkyo app the only one capable of engaging both DAC chips/agc?

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #12,924 of 16,326
I have the X7 and its not nearly as fluid as the DP-x1
I find the X1 to be more resolving and to have a wider sound stage. X7 has a warmer, thicker bass and has software bugs.

X7 supports USB mass storage (looks like a disk to a mac) where x1 does not (big bummer for Mac users of Onkyo)

On all counts I expect the X5iii to be not as good as the DP-X1, aside from price and USB mass storage

Is the Onkyo app the only one capable of engaging both DAC chips/agc?

The Dual DAC/AGC is a global setting so it should be accessible by 3rd party apps. The bugs alone in X7 are annoying enough for me to keep it in my storage bin. I am hoping Fiio can finish their new FW soon so I can make a proper comparison with DP-X1. While DP-X1 is not perfect, it's a better DAP than X7 imo as far as UI is concern. Still not drawing conclusions with SQ yet since the FW on X7 is not final.

The usb mass storage should not be a problem for MAC as you can just plug the SD cards directly to MAC.

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #12,925 of 16,326
@Dennis79

I don't have the X1 yet, it is on the way, but I do have the 100R, which is pretty similar to the X1.  After my first charge of the Pioneer, my battery drained very quickly also.  I went through and literally disabled every single non-music playing app.  I killed every service I could (if you disable the apps, you can always re-enable them later if you need them), rebooted...while doing all of this I drained the battery to complete empty.  I recharged it back up to 100% (full drain and then full recharge was what the Cayin i5 forum people were suggesting, so I tried it here also), after that, I think I used the player for approximately 4 days at work...sure music wasn't playing the whole time and the screen was off almost the whole time, but I would say I easily got 10 hours of music time using poweramp....I play 24/96 flac files and flac files from ripped CDs.  

I think keeping the wifi and blutooth off will certainly help and I am sure doing large downloads will accelerate the drain of the battery also...but I think these services/apps are draining a lot of the battery too....plus, I think the pioneer app uses a lot of system services for different things...like location, I am guessing (I think you can only download music from the onkyo site in certain countries, so I think the app checks where you are).  From what I could tell poweramp uses very few system services, so you might want to give it a try.  

I could be completely wrong about this, but I know I watched the first charge drain in about 3-4 hours, and after I did all of the above, I got multiple days of worktime out of the next charge.  Give it a try it can't hurt.  

I should be getting my X1 soon, so I will play around with it, but I am guessing the above suggestions will help with that player also.  

Thanks and Good Luck

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #12,926 of 16,326
  Could anyone here compare DPX1A (on balance) to QP1R? Thanks. 

I tried QP1R, Fiio X7 standard, Fiio X5 iii,  operation wise I don't like QP1R and Fiio X7.  Their sound do not impress me (but a few minutes later the Sony wm1a sound impressed me).

All these on SE.

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #12,927 of 16,326
Actually if you update the firmware to latest (the one with 4 amp levels). It now has a new feature to disable all notifications from one place. There will be a (X) sign at the notification bar to indicated that it does not receive notification any more.

For wi-fi , I think you can leave it on. I never turn it off anyway.

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #12,928 of 16,326

Guess it's a moot point now though as, after writing my post, I turned from my desk to talk to someone behind me and my earphone cable pulled the DP-X1A off my desk and onto the floor. ... it couldn't handle the three foot drop and is dead as dead gets. 

Thought I should share that, when I got home, I tried recharging the unit but it was non-responsive and neither my Mac nor PC recognized it. I tried turning it on throughout the night but it was dead. I packed it up and was going to send it to an authorized repair center in California, but thought I'd try one more time when I got home tonight. And, to my surprise, the unit powered up as if it had been powered down and shut off, and appears to be functioning fine. Someone else may know, but I'm guessing it has an accelerometer built in and turned itself off for a set time after sensing the impact? Anyway, I wanted to let others know that. if you drop yours and it goes dead, give it a day. Very happy customer here (again :wink:

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #12,929 of 16,326

Thought I should share that, when I got home, I tried recharging the unit but it was non-responsive and neither my Mac nor PC recognized it. I tried turning it on throughout the night but it was dead. I packed it up and was going to send it to an authorized repair center in California, but thought I'd try one more time when I got home tonight. And, to my surprise, the unit powered up as if it had been powered down and shut off, and appears to be functioning fine. Someone else may know, but I'm guessing it has an accelerometer built in and turned itself off for a set time after sensing the impact? Anyway, I wanted to let others know that. if you drop yours and it goes dead, give it a day. Very happy customer here (again :wink:

Congret!

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #12,930 of 16,326
Thanks! Can't explain why I kept trying as I've never had something electronic break, stop working, and then resurrect itself a day later. I was honestly so surprised I wondered for a second if I was asleep and dreaming. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back