ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 8, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #12,887 of 16,326
My new "plan" is Fiio X5iii to mojo streaming Tidal Hifi. I know the onkyo can do this but the Fiio is much smaller and i want to stuff it in my pocket. I have the opus 1 and i hear there is not a huge difference between the 1 and 2. I also want the JVC 01 like you. This hobby is to much.

Opus #2 really a step up from Opus #1, with a Audio Technica Ck100pro you can easily hear the difference.
Mine is not a JVC HA-FW01, but a slightly cheaper HA-FW02. Personally, I listening mostly to female vocals and HA-FW02 suited my gene of music more as it is more mid centric and focused and not all over the place like HA-FW01.

Jan 9, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #12,890 of 16,326
Anyone pair the DPX1 with a set of D5000s?

Impressions?

I've paired the DP-X1 with my D2000's and the DAP has no trouble at all with them. My desktop DAC/Amp is the relatively modest Audioengine D1 but for whatever it's worth the Onkyo DAP handles the phones as well as the desktop Amp. 

Just last week I upgraded to a higher tier but still relatively easy to drive phone (Beyerdynamic T5P Gen 2) and that is also really working well, plenty of volume and a very clear sound with plenty of bass. I would expect the DPX1 to work very well with the D5000's unless those phones are surprisingly much harder to drive than the 25 Ohm D2000's.

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #12,891 of 16,326
I had an iBasso DX50 and now the DX90. Received the Onkyo DP-X1 about 1.5 weeks ago and honestly: I love the sound! Lossless material just sounds absolute for me.
However battery life really sucks on this device. When downloading HiRes material with TIDAL over WiFi I can watch the battery drain. Downloaded a couple of albums last night. Battery went down from 98% to 46% in less then one hour...

Is it only my device or do you guys experience something similar?

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #12,892 of 16,326
Hi all,
Can someone give me advice on using this as a music player with an external dac? I am not that familiar with this but would also like to use it around the house also.  What limitations does it have and what is the best way of connectivity.
Thanks,
Russ 

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #12,893 of 16,326
I had an iBasso DX50 and now the DX90. Received the Onkyo DP-X1 about 1.5 weeks ago and honestly: I love the sound! Lossless material just sounds absolute for me.
However battery life really sucks on this device. When downloading HiRes material with TIDAL over WiFi I can watch the battery drain. Downloaded a couple of albums last night. Battery went down from 98% to 46% in less then one hour...

Using WiFi will drain it really fast. I always plug it in while its doing downloads. Hows your battery life otherwise.

Jan 9, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #12,894 of 16,326
I've been lurking on this thread for a while and recently picked up the DP-X1A from Amazon Japan during the Pioneer sale mentioned by a member earlier (thank you for the tip!)

Thing is, I initially loaded some music from my iTunes library on my Mac onto the internal memory using the supplied software, and the few albums I initially loaded are the only albums, songs, etc. that show up under the album/artist/song view. The software only worked on my Mac the first time I used it and I subsequently had to load my music directly onto the the SD cards. This works fine, but the album/artist/song view only appears to be available on the internal memory for the albums loaded using the supplied software and I was wondering if anyone knows how to get the bundled music player to recognize the albums/artist and other info on the external cards loaded with music directly from a computer?

And if anyone wants another opinion on the DAP...I had been using an iPod classic through a LOD into the top end amp by one of the boutique manufacturers popular here. Listening directly through ER4S IEMs the DP-X1A blows the other rig away. The amount of detail, air, layering....there's no comparison. Tried using line out on the DAP into my boutique amp and the amp muddied and compressed the signal and made the device sounds like the iPod. I've seen others ask but haven't seen an answer as to whether line out on the DP-X1 is really unamped, as the device sets the output volume to max, which seems to suggest line out is running through an amp. I'm very happy to stop carrying the stack and have much better sound quality. As an aside, this is the first device in which I really noticed a huge difference after burn in. The sibilance was beyond annoying and the highs very harsh for the first 10-20 hours of use or so.  

If anyone knows how to get the software to see the artists/albums on the SD cards I'd appreciate it! Thanks.

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #12,895 of 16,326

If anyone knows how to get the software to see the artists/albums on the SD cards I'd appreciate it! Thanks.

When the Onkyo Music Player app is running, and you see the 3 Horizontal Lines on the Left and the 3 Dots on the Right, at the top of the screen - Press the "Back" (Left-pointing Triangle) button at the bottom of the screen.  Then you can swipe left or right, until you get to the Folder tab.  The Folder tab should show "Internal storage", "SD card 1", SD card 2", and "USB storage".

Take Care,
David Baldock

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #12,896 of 16,326
Thanks, Dave, but I can see and access the music on the SD cards through folder view, but the album and artist view etc. only are available when I'm using the internal storage and not from the SD cards. I'm not sure if this is normal behavior or because I copied the music to the SD cards directly and not through through the Onkyo transfer app.

Guess it's moot point now though as, after writing my post, I turned from my desk to talk to someone behind me and my earphone cable pulled the DP-X1A off my desk and onto the floor. Have done the same with the iPod hundreds of times but, while there's not a mark on the DP-X1A, it couldn't handle the three foot drop and is dead as dead gets. Not exactly "portable" so back to Amazon it goes.....

Edit: To clarify, only the music stored on the internal drive shows up in album/artist view, while the albums on the SD cards do not appear under albums, artists, songs, etc.

Jan 9, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #12,897 of 16,326

Quote:
  Thanks, Dave, but I can see and access the music on the SD cards through folder view, but the album and artist view etc. only are available when I'm using the internal storage and not from the SD cards. I'm not sure if this is normal behavior or because I copied the music to the SD cards directly and not through through the Onkyo transfer app.

Guess it's moot point now though as, after writing my post, I turned from my desk to talk to someone behind me and my earphone cable pulled the DP-X1A off my desk and onto the floor. Have done the same with the iPod hundreds of times but, while there's not a mark on the DP-X1A, it couldn't handle the three foot drop and is dead as dead gets. Not exactly "portable" so back to Amazon it goes.....

Edit: To clarify, only the music stored on the internal drive shows up in album/artist view, while the albums on the SD cards do not appear under albums, artists, songs, etc.

Jan 9, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #12,898 of 16,326

Yup. that pic pretty much says it all :wink:

Looked all over it for dings and was relieved to see there wasn't any damage, only to get that sinking feeling when I realized I should try turning it on and nothing happened. That the case I purchased is supposed to be delivered from Japan today or tomorrow doesn't make things any better...

Returning the unit to Amazon Japan should be fun. Guess I have to decide whether to ask for a replacement or just return it, assuming I can find an English translation or figure out how to do so in Japanese. Considering how often I've dropped my iPhone, which has nearly identical dimensions, I'm really unsure about the robustness of this device and whether I should replace it or give the AK70 a try... 

Jan 9, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #12,899 of 16,326
Can Anyone Guide me as to the different variants of the DP-X1A? Why are some sellers on ebay selling it for $550 and others selling it for $800 or even more. Is that just a seller to seller difference of the same model? or are there more than one variants of the X1A (japan version). 

Jan 9, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #12,900 of 16,326

Sounds about right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back