ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 11, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #12,541 of 16,326

What is strange is I am using different 3rd party players (Neutron, HibyMusic, FB2K, NEPlayer, UAPP) and even Onkyo's HF Player all of them play glitch free either from local storage or from a network source.

I only hear skips from the stock Music player but only if I set the "Lock Adjust Range" to farthest right (Narrow) and usually only after the DP-X1A has just rebooted. But then when I see this option a step or 2 below the "narrowest" option, there is totally no more skips or glitches.

All those players above have their own merits but in the end the stock music play for me is the best player for DP-X1 in terms of usabililty and design 
tongue_smile.gif

Afterall it was designed to match the DP-X1's aesthetics.

Is the stock music player fairly simple to use?  I have my music tagged doe my Fiio X5.  Should I use folder browser or the stock music player on the DPX1 when I do buy it?

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #12,543 of 16,326

Is the stock music player fairly simple to use?  I have my music tagged doe my Fiio X5.  Should I use folder browser or the stock music player on the DPX1 when I do buy it?

Yes, it's very easy to use and fairly intuitive. Folder browsing is supported and normally this is all I need and don't care about building the music library database on other players due to some problems.

But in DP-X1, I find myself using the library more than folder browsing because DP-X1 presents the music library beautifully without the weird problems I get from other players (e.g. weird sorting order). It is especially useful in DP-X1 since you can drop files in any storage medium and the library will still sort things out in a uniform way.

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #12,544 of 16,326
  Stock Onkyo player very easy to use and it can navigate through then micro SD cards.

Cool.  Thank you very much.  Sounds like I have my mind finally made up on getting a DPX1 or DPX1A when I get more money next year.  I am pretty broke right now.  I will stop pestering this thread until I buy one and encounter an issue or I need help.  Thank you all for your help.

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #12,545 of 16,326

Yes, it's very easy to use and fairly intuitive. Folder browsing is supported and normally this is all I need and don't care about building the music library database on other players due to some problems.

But in DP-X1, I find myself using the library more than folder browsing because DP-X1 presents the music library beautifully without the weird problems I get from other players (e.g. weird sorting order). It is especially useful in DP-X1 since you can drop files in any storage medium and the library will still sort things out in a uniform way.

Awesome.  Sounds like the dap for me.  Thank you very much

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #12,546 of 16,326

Cool.  Thank you very much.  Sounds like I have my mind finally made up on getting a DPX1 or DPX1A when I get more money next year.  I am pretty broke right now.  I will stop pestering this thread until I buy one and encounter an issue or I need help.  Thank you all for your help.

DP-X1/A is the best DAP I have overall to date. SQ, features, versatility, battery life and price IMHO it sweeps the floor over any DAPs available. It is not prefect but it can only become better. 

I'm still waiting for Fiio to finish their Android 5.xx based software of their X7 before I decide if I will let it go. It has many potential but sadly dragged down by software. Still, if we make software similar on both DP-X1 and X7 I think DP-X1 is still slightly better. (e.g., storage, hardware button controls and overall handling)

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #12,547 of 16,326

DP-X1/A is the best DAP I have overall to date. SQ, features, versatility, battery life and price IMHO it sweeps the floor over any DAPs available. It is not prefect but it can only become better. 

I'm still waiting for Fiio to finish their Android 5.xx based software of their X7 before I decide if I will let it go. It has many potential but sadly dragged down by software. Still, if we make software similar on both DP-X1 and X7 I think DP-X1 is still slightly better. (e.g., storage, hardware button controls and overall handling)

The X7 is a no for me due to the single micro sd slot.  Thanks again for all of your help.  I will surely be buying a DPX1 sometime next year when I have the funds. 

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #12,549 of 16,326

What is strange is I am using different 3rd party players (Neutron, HibyMusic, FB2K, NEPlayer, UAPP) and even Onkyo's HF Player all of them play glitch free either from local storage or from a network source.

I only hear skips from the stock Music player but only if I set the "Lock Adjust Range" to farthest right (Narrow) and usually only after the DP-X1A has just rebooted. But then when I see this option a step or 2 below the "narrowest" option, there is totally no more skips or glitches.

All those players above have their own merits but in the end the stock music play for me is the best player for DP-X1 in terms of usabililty and design 
tongue_smile.gif

Afterall it was designed to match the DP-X1's aesthetics.

The 'glitch' problem is, as far as I am aware, only relevant to playback of Tidal Hi-Fi files stored on the SD card. Streamed or stored in internal memory is fine.

The low-level distortion problem can be identified when listening in a quiet environment. Start a third party app playing and turn the volume all the way down to zero. Then increase the volume just one or two clicks and the interference can be heard fairly clearly. It's dependent to some extent on the sensitivity of the headphones (and the listener's hearing) but it's present on a wide variety of 'phones that I've tried. 

Clearly these issue are not severe enough to prevent enjoyment of third-party apps on the player but they may go some way to explain why, for example, the SQ of stored Tidal files is noticeably worse than equivalent CD rips.

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #12,550 of 16,326

The 'glitch' problem is, as far as I am aware, only relevant to playback of Tidal Hi-Fi files stored on the SD card. Streamed or stored in internal memory is fine.

The low-level distortion problem can be identified when listening in a quiet environment. Start a third party app playing and turn the volume all the way down to zero. Then increase the volume just one or two clicks and the interference can be heard fairly clearly. It's dependent to some extent on the sensitivity of the headphones (and the listener's hearing) but it's present on a wide variety of 'phones that I've tried. 

Clearly these issue are not severe enough to prevent enjoyment of third-party apps on the player but they may go some way to explain why, for example, the SQ of stored Tidal files is noticeably worse than equivalent CD rips.

Hmm... I hope there's a fix for these 'glitch' soon. For me, I usually listen offline while on-the-go... so it's a concern... plus have to fork out money to invest on a decent size microSD card (with a decent speed)...

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #12,551 of 16,326
I only listened to offline music and my experience with 3rd party music players (Hiby, Poweramp, UAPP, ...) is bad, all produced glitch' sound. Maybe i haven't tried all the sound settings (i tested some). But for me, the stock app is more than enough.

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #12,552 of 16,326

I am feverishly waiting for the Fiio Q5 uniersal amp.

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #12,553 of 16,326
I have an Onkyo DP-X1A arriving from Japan (I'm in the US) next week; I'm assuming it's the Japanese version (duh...) even though I bought it through Amazon.US.

I've been reading a couple hundred pages of this thread and have search-functioned my issues, but I think I've missed a couple of key things and hoping for some clarification.

Am I right that Folder Browsing/management/navigation was NOT included in the original DP-X1 release, but now it has been added? To the stock player? (It never occurred to me that that would be an issue before I purchased this.)

I vaguely recall something about the WiFi on the Japan version doesn't work in the US without something switched on my router? "Asian Band" or something? That could be a big problem--I don't have any "switches" on my basic router. And what would that do to everything that's already running off my fairly new router? Yikes!

This is something I really miss that FiiO X7 has (and all FiiO products on this forum)--company reps checking in several times a day to answer these weird questions, like the WiFi router thing...

Ooo! Ooo! I just noticed that @OneL0ve right above this post has a DP-X1A for their avatar. Help! ...er, ah--COOL!

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #12,554 of 16,326
Folder browsing is good to go after the firmware upgrade.

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #12,555 of 16,326
I have an Onkyo DP-X1A arriving from Japan (I'm in the US) next week; I'm assuming it's the Japanese version (duh...) even though I bought it through Amazon.US.

I've been reading a couple hundred pages of this thread and have search-functioned my issues, but I think I've missed a couple of key things and hoping for some clarification.

Am I right that Folder Browsing/management/navigation was NOT included in the original DP-X1 release, but now it has been added? To the stock player? (It never occurred to me that that would be an issue before I purchased this.)

I vaguely recall something about the WiFi on the Japan version doesn't work in the US without something switched on my router? "Asian Band" or something? That could be a big problem--I don't have any "switches" on my basic router. And what would that do to everything that's already running off my fairly new router? Yikes!

This is something I really miss that FiiO X7 has (and all FiiO products on this forum)--company reps checking in several times a day to answer these weird questions, like the WiFi router thing...

Ooo! Ooo! I just noticed that @OneL0ve
 right above this post has a DP-X1A for their avatar. Help! ...er, ah--COOL!

Everything works fine on my japan DPX1 and DPX1A, including wifi. Asian Band?

The only issues i have with my DPX1 or A is that my music app doesn't start from the last played song after turning off the unit for a long time. The music app seems to reset to an empty playlist and i have to select a new start song for random shuffle all over again.

Not sure if this is because of the number of songs on my 200gb sandisk card, or because i customized the scan folders in settings.

My only other issue is not being able to export my custom EQ presets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back