ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Nov 11, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #12,001 of 16,326
I use the DP-X1 on the V-Moda M-100 (not wireless), B&W P7 (modified to run balanced) and the Sennheiser IE800.

I usually use the M-100 only when I'm travelling or commuting, mainly because it's built like a tank and I can't trust the modded P7's tiny 2.5mm connector to withstand daily abuse. Ít sounds pretty laid back compared to the P7 or even the IE800. But sound quality is IMHO, very good, well controlled (tight), bass is definitely there and it does sound like the DP-X1 drives it adequately. My mod itch has started again and I'm thinking of modding the M-100 to run balanced too. Balanced mode on the P7 has been so addictive that I find it hard to accept anything less. Maybe I'll tear apart the M-100 this weekend for fun to see the connections. For me, I think the hardest part is probably opening up without destroying it. LOL.

How did you mod your BW P7's for balanced? Here in the U.K. Customcans refused to do it saying the cable connection to the cans made the job too difficult. I'm a huge fan
of my P7's and would love to have the balanced option....

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #12,002 of 16,326
Honestly, you cannot expect a really good battery life from any Android devices. Ever. But well, as for me, my Onkyo is able to hold on for maybe at most 2 days listening to music WITHOUT the screen being turned on too much. I noticed that the screen often is the culprit for draining the battery.

Actually, the Sony NW-ZX2 has fantastic battery life. Don't remember what magic tricks it used, but it was fantastic.

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #12,004 of 16,326
any update regarding the DP-X1-Chord Hugo pairing? 0.5-1 second interruption while playing is getting annoying lately...it think it is getting more frequent lately  (i had this experience before with AK240SS, but it was eventually resolved by a firmware update)

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #12,005 of 16,326
What he (she?) said.

He. :)

Yes, screen drains a lot and in my opinion, even the lowest brightness setting is too bright when at home or inside a building.

Indeed, it is too bright for me. I wish in the next update they could make it go lower.

Actually, the Sony NW-ZX2 has fantastic battery life. Don't remember what magic tricks it used, but it was fantastic.

True, there are some Android devices that can have really amazing battery life. My smartphone used to be able to get 8-9 hours of screen on time, which is already Godlike during its KitKat days. As Android progresses, the battery life gets much worse.

any update regarding the DP-X1-Chord Hugo pairing? 0.5-1 second interruption while playing is getting annoying lately...it think it is getting more frequent lately  (i had this experience before with AK240SS, but it was eventually resolved by a firmware update)

I was able to pair it using Bluetooth without any problems. The only thing that annoys me is that it have a very short range. I am not sure if it's the DP-X1 or Hugo that really short Bluetooth range. I can't even put them in one pocket each on my pants.
I have not tried connecting through the USB port yet but I will try that soon.

By the way, my Onkyo "leather" casing arrived yesterday. Feels great to finally have some protection.

Nov 12, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #12,006 of 16,326
How did you mod your BW P7's for balanced? Here in the U.K. Customcans refused to do it saying the cable connection to the cans made the job too difficult. I'm a huge fan
of my P7's and would love to have the balanced option....

I followed this mod from a fellow forumer: http://www.head-fi.org/t/694795/b-w-p7-recable/30

I used the same cable as the link above, but included a sleeve and used an Eidolic connector.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3Q5O4x9cIejbWpMUURONWZOTUU

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3Q5O4x9cIejMV9hM1FCTTVkRGM

Nov 12, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #12,007 of 16,326
... I was able to pair it using Bluetooth without any problems. The only thing that annoys me is that it have a very short range. I am not sure if it's the DP-X1 or Hugo that really short Bluetooth range. I can't even put them in one pocket each on my pants.
I have not tried connecting through the USB port yet but I will try that soon.

By the way, my Onkyo "leather" casing arrived yesterday. Feels great to finally have some protection.

It's the DP-X1 that has the Bluetooth issue.

In a couple of tests I conducted, using a Trinity Audio Bluetooth Lanyard, it appears that the DP-X1 has very poor Bluetooth range (1 or 2 feet) - if the DAP is in my pocket.  
If it's sitting on my desk, the range is ~8-12 feet, depending on whether my body is between the DAP and the Lanyard.  
Using my Nexus 5 phone, the Lanyard works at a range of 30-50 feet. 

Take Care,
David Baldock

Nov 12, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #12,010 of 16,326
Can anyone recommend some good balanced headphones and parts needed to run the DP-X1 balanced.

I'm looking at the cheaper end of balanced headphones for now ..anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot

All headphones with removable cables can be balanced. Just change the cable.

Nov 12, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #12,012 of 16,326
You mean all IEMs with removable cables can, all headphones are not wired for balanced.

I don't know too many headphones (non iem) with removable cable that could not be wired balanced. Do you?

Nov 12, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #12,013 of 16,326
I don't know too many headphones (non iem) with removable cable that could not be wired balanced. Do you?

Most headphones with 2 wires coming down are generally balanced but the majority of headphones with 1 wire are typically never wired for balanced, in fact the only one that comes to mind is the Oppo PM3, Im sure there a few others. now if you want to take them apart and wire them to be balanced that's another story.

Nov 12, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #12,014 of 16,326
Yes about Balanced ACG on will kill the battery very quickly. If you have Wifi/Bluetooth and Balanced or ACG on expect about 3hrs max. I have had mine for 6months and have had batteries drain issues without shutting everything down and putting in it airplane mode while listening to the native music app. Airplane mode with Balanced ACG on should get you better life, I tend to need to plug mine in often because I listen to Balanced ACG all the time, oh and if you use OTG turn off Balanced ACG as it does nothing but drain your battery.

I have received my balanced cable for MDR-EX1000 lately so I did a test this evening. Playing balanced ACG on 115 volume with WiFi on and Bluetooth remote control. Stock player with 16 and 24 bit flacs mixed with Tidal Hifi stream. 3h of playing time and less than 30% of battery drained. Since my average mix playing time on single end is 10-11 h, I assume balanced ACG does get the same.

Just to let You know, I have killed and uninstalled any apps I don't use just after I get it 3-4 months ago. Also I always let it drain my battery to 0 before I plug it to power. Hope that helps, because 3-5 h of playtime is undoubtedly failure.

Nov 12, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #12,015 of 16,326
I have received my balanced cable for MDR-EX1000 lately so I did a test this evening. Playing balanced ACG on 115 volume with WiFi on and Bluetooth remote control. Stock player with 16 and 24 bit flacs mixed with Tidal Hifi stream. 3h of playing time and less than 30% of battery drained. Since my average mix playing time on single end is 10-11 h, I assume balanced ACG does get the same.

Just to let You know, I have killed and uninstalled any apps I don't use just after I get it 3-4 months ago. Also I always let it drain my battery to 0 before I plug it to power. Hope that helps, because 3-5 h of playtime is undoubtedly failure.

Are you rooted or not? If not rooted, how did you kill/uninstall all the bloat apps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back