ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Oct 25, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #11,821 of 16,328
OK, now that the DP-X1 has arrived, my first question is - Did you install a Screen Protector, and if so, was it plastic or tempered glass?  I see both types available on Amazon & eBay, ranging from ~$10 on up to ~$60.

My DP-X1 will be installed in either this Zzozz case ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/172215375616?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=471045314984&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT ), or in a custom made case which will be very similar to the Zzozz model, but it will have a second section to hold the Aukey 20,000mAH USB Battery Bank.

Thanks,
David Baldock

Oct 26, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #11,822 of 16,328
  OK, now that the DP-X1 has arrived, my first question is - Did you install a Screen Protector, and if so, was it plastic or tempered glass?  I see both types available on Amazon & eBay, ranging from ~$10 on up to ~$60.

My DP-X1 will be installed in either this Zzozz case ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/172215375616?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=471045314984&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT ), or in a custom made case which will be very similar to the Zzozz model, but it will have a second section to hold the Aukey 20,000mAH USB Battery Bank.

Thanks,
David Baldock

I purchased a glass protector through ebay ... did cost approx $60 AUS but well worth it and also purchased red Dignis leather case through ebay about $90 :)

Oct 26, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #11,825 of 16,328
I just updated the music app.
Cover art is no longer displayed if you choose the song from folder view but it comes up fine through selection by Artist, Album?

Oct 26, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #11,826 of 16,328
I wouldn't bother with screen protection. Just get the Dignis case, it will take care of the screen edges. The case comes with two film screen protector anyway.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I've already purchased, and received, the Zzozz case that I linked to in my post.  It has a flap/cover that closes (with magnets) over the front of the DP-X1, so the screen protector would mainly be for "anti-glare" purposes.

Oct 26, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #11,828 of 16,328
  Thanks.

It seems a very strange programming decision to allow you to turn on the Equaliser without at least warning you that you need to enable "DSP Function"

Agreed ... but you can test it by turning on the equaliser and changing some range - you will notice no difference, however once you turn on 'DSP' the equaliser will kick in.

Oct 26, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #11,829 of 16,328
  Agreed ... but you can test it by turning on the equaliser and changing some range - you will notice no difference, however once you turn on 'DSP' the equaliser will kick in.

I'm sure the thinking is that "purists", even with the EQ off, would want to circumvent the DSP section. Straight from DAC to amp. 

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #11,830 of 16,328
First experiments listening to music, with my new DP-X1.

Using one of the Step by Step Instructions, from somewhere early in this thread - I used adb/fastroot to install TWRP, rooted with SuperSU, and then installed Busybox Pro from Google Play.

Then I installed USB Audio Player Pro, and ES File Explorer Pro.  With the File Explorer, I was able to browse across my network to my PC, and select one of the tracks from the CDs I've been ripping.  I had a choice of using Google Music or UAPP, so I selected UAPP, and the track played just fine (no cover art was shown with it being streamed via SMB) - but I haven't tried using anything other than the Volume knob...  
normal_smile .gif

I also installed "myssms mirror" which will allow me to hear notifications for incoming texts & calls (and also read & reply to the texts) when I'm at work.  This was a concern I had with not having my earphones plugged into my phone, when I have to be able to respond to texts & calls for my job.

The one thing I haven't tried installing yet, is the Xposed Framework, which would allow me to use the YouTube AdBlock Module.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Oct 27, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #11,831 of 16,328
Oh? Onkyo didn't bother securing the device to prevent any unlocking or rooting attempt? That's great to hear, however will the warranty be voided by doing so?

Also, do we have a flashable zip or flashboot images of the stock firmware/ROM? I want to flash Open Gapps pico to get rid of all the unnecessary Google services and clear some space.

Oct 27, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #11,832 of 16,328
Oh? Onkyo didn't bother securing the device to prevent any unlocking or rooting attempt? That's great to hear, however will the warranty be voided by doing so?

Also, do we have a flashable zip or flashboot images of the stock firmware/ROM? I want to flash Open Gapps pico to get rid of all the unnecessary Google services and clear some space.

If you do a search, within this thread, for "fastboot", you'll find posts with links to the TWRP and SuperSU downloads, as well as the steps for how to unlock the Bootloader if it's locked (mine wasn't), and how to install the TWRP and SuperSU.

As an aside, the fastboot command, when running within a Cygwin64 Terminal on Win7, didn't see the DP-X1, but it did when running within a regular Win7 Terminal.  The various adb and fastboot command I've used in the past on my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7, were run from the Cygwin Terminal.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #11,833 of 16,328
Hi Everyone

I bought the DP-X1 and it is on its way now. reading this thread, i understand that the balanced output is the way to go. i have a Sennheiser IE800 (which has a 3.5mm jack output, but also has a 2.5mm connector very close to the the earphone end).

Since the balanced output on the onkyo dp-x1 is 2.5mm, how do you suggest i can use it with my IE800s?

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #11,834 of 16,328
Hi to you all! Just wanted to leave some feedback here too.. Here is my perfect combo for the dp-x1 :
A Mojo and a Meze 99:) amazing clean sound(using an otg Lavricable), especially for Jazz and classical! When using the dp-x1 solo then balanced is the best way to go to have a wonderful listening experience. I use my Shure se535 with a custom impactaudio cable.
This combo just does it (for me at least:)!

Oct 27, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #11,835 of 16,328
Hi all, new to this forum and wanted to let you know that I have the DP-X1a in pre-order. Hope it becomes available soon here in Europe. The DP-X1A are actually my baby steps in the mobile audio business. I am a long-time hifi enthusiast where it comes to home hifi and after my recent purchase of a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 I was very annoyed by it's awful audio output. There's so much background noise (crackling, mainly) and the sound quality of the device is lacking. So annoyed that I decided to look for a better solution. The Surface pro 4 is an awesome device for everything but audio, it seems. Real happy with it, with the exception of sound quality.

First looked at USB dacs (Fiio K1 for example), but along the road of finding the device that would suit my needs best I ended up with the Onkyo DP-X1. I won't be using it as a usb dac since that functonality sadly still does not seem to be supported by the Onkyo. Would really love that feature, by the way! Should not be too hard enabling it, since many other DAP makers have aleady integrated that functionality in their devices.

Anyway, as soon as the DP-X1A gets delivered I'll be on the lookout for a good headset. I have some IEMs that I will be using when on the move or working at a customer's location (I'm an IT consultant), but what I don't have yet is a decent set of cans for use at home. Reading through the forum I found many enthusiastic comments on several sets, but as a strong believer in synergy I am looking for the one that would have a good match with the DP-X1a. Also, I believe that headsets must match the type of music that it will be used with most. Classical music requires a different approach than techno or house music, for example. My personal music preference is electronic music (Jon Hopkins, James Blake, Solomon Grey, but also older stuff such as Jean Michel Jarre and Vangelis), rock music (Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Supertramp) and pop music.

I'm looking at using the balanced output, since that seems to give best results in terms of sound quality.

My queston now is: looking at the device (DP-X1A) and my musical taste, what set of cans would suit my needs best? Budget is somewhere around 400 euros, excluding cable. Plan for now is to purchase the headset and then purchase the balanced cable later. Also I think that comfort of the headset is very important. If wearing the headset is uncomfortable (painful for the ears, uncomfortably hot, etc) I won't be getting all the fun out of it that I would like.

In other words: which set of cans are comfortable to wear, have a good match with the DP-X1 and pack a good punch for my musical preferences? Any recommendation or advice is highly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back