ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Oct 17, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #11,731 of 16,326
Hey guys,

I think just got my DP-X1 soft bricked. I was playing with Kingroot last night & tried to replace it with Superuser 2.4 once I got the root. I had a terminal open with root access to try to get the replacement done. After a couple of attempts without rebooting, the replacement failed even though I had uninstalled Kingroot.

So when I try to reboot now...the screen doesn't get any further than the default "powered by Android" screen.

I have tried the factory reset that's not helping. Is there anyway I can flash the stock OS?...are the files out there somewhere?

Hello,
Try this:
-Grab the firmware here (link from this post)
https://android.googleapis.com/packages/ota/onkyo_raizin32_raizin32/df30d6331a9d059b201363a70c664bed92470bf2.signed-Onkyo_32G-ota_update.zip
-Rename it into update.zip, copy to /sdcard
-from the recovery, select Update from SDCard

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #11,732 of 16,326
Hey guys,

I think just got my DP-X1 soft bricked. I was playing with Kingroot last night & tried to replace it with Superuser 2.4 once I got the root. I had a terminal open with root access to try to get the replacement done. After a couple of attempts without rebooting, the replacement failed even though I had uninstalled Kingroot.

So when I try to reboot now...the screen doesn't get any further than the default "powered by Android" screen.

I have tried the factory reset that's not helping. Is there anyway I can flash the stock OS?...are the files out there somewhere?

Hello

Try this : go to @pegasus21's post on page 234 (post #3499) , download one of the firmware on the links, rename it to update.zip, put it in /sdcard and select "Update from sdcard" from the recovery.
(can't post link yet)

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #11,733 of 16,326
Hello

Try this : go to @pegasus21
's post on page 234 (post #3499) , download one of the firmware on the links, rename it to update.zip, put it in /sdcard and select "Update from sdcard" from the recovery.
(can't post link yet)

Excellent advice. This should do it. Thanks (not my problem, but was very interested in the resolve).

irvine752 Please let us know if this works.

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #11,734 of 16,326
Quick update.....I just tried mounting each of those firmware packages onto the flash drive & updating, but it seems like I need a newer update. It won't update to an older firmware, the one I had before was dated March 2016, and the 1.29 firmware is dated Jan 2016. Where are the latest files located?

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #11,737 of 16,326
Check back in the thread for sq3rjick and XVortex posts. 

You should be able to install XVortex's custom recovery (TWRP) from recovery mode without being able to boot into your device. From TWRP you may be able to flash an old firmware or modify the update file and flash that unsigned update.

This saved me when I wiped an important file (Onkyo on the other hand were very unhelpful).

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #11,738 of 16,326
  Check back in the thread for sq3rjick and XVortex posts. 

You should be able to install XVortex's custom recovery (TWRP) from recovery mode without being able to boot into your device. From TWRP you may be able to flash an old firmware or modify the update file and flash that unsigned update.

This saved me when I wiped an important file (Onkyo on the other hand were very unhelpful).

The link is down. Does anyone have a copy saved somewhere?

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #11,739 of 16,326
Hey guys,

it CAN be done (I did it on my xdp100r using the onkyo TWRP posted a few pages back (THANK GOODNESS), but you will need either a complete Stock TWRP recovery backup from another device ( I bought a second device and basically backed it up and then sold it as a loss- maybe someone on headfi will post a stock backup of their device for you)....or use one of the posted update stock onkyo recovery files. Basically boot to TWRP and full wipe the device and then flash the stock onkyo files (the easiest fix)

king root digs into the system hard, and trying to manually replace it with SuperSu will cause issues. There is no way to recover from a soft brick (boot loop), without cleaning the device and reinstalling the rom. After going through it, I recommend to ONLY root using SuperSu (you have to have TWRP recovery though)..Only use the latest king root direct from xda, as a last resort

if you know how to use adb, I can write a full write up, and outline how to change the backup ROM to match the proper serial number., if you would like. just PM me, so I don't dirty up this thread anymore.

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #11,740 of 16,326
  Maybe u can check with the previous owner where he bought it, then bring back to the shop I suppose should still have warranty. Only few shop tat sell import set during last year when it launch in Singapore( I dun wan to  name it here). Singapore local agent are the later batch which have fix up the 3.5mm and 2.5mm socket. Alot ppl throw out jpn set as they knew it is a problematic set esp now newer model gooing to be launched soon. I lucky i hold back my purchase last year when it launched. Most of the set are RMA and when the set return owner faster post and it off at Caro......

Yea.. That's exactly where I got it from in the first place. It's supposed to be a Japanese set.
Does anyone have the contact details of the onkyo Japan?

Many thanks.

Oct 18, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #11,741 of 16,326
unlock your device and install twrp
http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/11130#post_12834357

recovery of system (backed up on system with volume cap/limit active - version from singapore fresh batch):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/11220#post_12846468

please stop reinventing a wheel and use search button on top.

Oct 18, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #11,742 of 16,326
Hi, I've just received a Moon Audio Silver Dragon balanced cable for my se846s,

Could some kind soul explain the relative benefits of Balanced and ACG mode. Also, I noticed that ACG works with the 3.5mm port, how does that function?

Many thanks for any and all help

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #11,743 of 16,326
Hi, I've just received a Moon Audio Silver Dragon balanced cable for my se846s,

Could some kind soul explain the relative benefits of Balanced and ACG mode. Also, I noticed that ACG works with the 3.5mm port, how does that function?

Many thanks for any and all help

Balanced uses both DACs, SE only uses one of them. Also, the balanced output can drive more powerhungry headphones afaik.

Oct 18, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #11,745 of 16,326

Yes, but ACG also uses both DACs I believe, but why does it also work through SE 3.5mm port? Also, what should the perceived differences be between SE, Balanced and ACG?

I cant answer your first question because I dont really know the technical background for it. As for the perceived difference, I'm not sure this will help you but my DP-X1 just arrived yesterday and I tested it with the unbalanced cable I have always used up to that point right away and it sounded fantastic. Today, my balanced cable which I specifically ordered for the DP-X1 arrived from the USA and it sounds even better than with the unbalanced cable.
The difference isn't night and day for me personally but I use Westone W40 IEMs, so there are headphones where the difference will probably be more obvious.. also, I'm definitively no audiophile in the sense of being able to hear very minor differences in sound quality, my hearing isnt perfect anymore because I might've damaged it a bit listening to music too loud when I was younger. And last but not least, I have read through this thread extensively before deciding on a DAP to buy and I might be biased / I might be having a placebo effect or whatever you wanna call it.. all I can say is that I dont regret getting the balanced cable and it does sound even better than SE to me, even when there's a chance I might be just imagining it.

What I have noticed with ACG is that the sound signature definitively changes, there were some genres where I actually liked it, with others I didnt. For instance, I listened to Jeremy Soules Dragonborn (Elder Scrolls Skyrim Series Soundtrack) and using ACG with it just took out all of the emotions in that song, I dont know why but it was particularly noticeable on that song, I havent experienced this with other musical genres that I have listened to so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back