ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Oct 10, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #11,656 of 16,326
  not hard to figure out, they just exclude the bit depth that is unused in the recording. Most 24 bit music only uses a small part of that bit depth (difference between quiet and loud sounds) as its mastered shallow and loud. Too bad because there is a lot of drama that can be had by playing with this bit depth.

No, that is not the theory. It actually translate the non-human hear part into another formula and represent it after decoded. From my ear, MQA is no difference from the original flac/wav .  That is why MQA is still calling itself lossless.

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #11,657 of 16,326
I don't know if you guys are interested in a simple battery saving feature.. If yes.. continue reading...
This won't help you with playing huge lossless files. I don't know how the DP-X1 performs with that since I exclusivley use streaming clients.

But anyway.. I found my battery drained almost every day even if I wasn't listening to music at all.. simply because the device was running all the day, streaming client opened, connected to the internet.

The DP-X1 is my first dedicated android music player and I was looking for a solution to turn it off automatically if it is not used for playing music. Different to any android phone this device has the only purpose of playing music so I was wondering why there is no power saving feature in times no music is played.

So I made one myself.
First I disabled all uneccesary system apps like google docs, and now my device starts up in around 30 seconds which is a totally satisfying waiting time for me.
And then I wrote an android application to observe the music player and if the there is no music playing for a configurable amount of time the system will poweroff.

If you are interested in this application you can download it on github.
Here is the link: https://github.com/mjonik/ShutDownOnMute

To use it your device needs to be rooted. If I can remember correctly the instructions for rooting it can be found somewhere between page 450 and 550 of this thread..

Oct 11, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #11,659 of 16,326
Oct 11, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #11,660 of 16,326
I don't know if you guys are interested in a simple battery saving feature.. If yes.. continue reading...
This won't help you with playing huge lossless files. I don't know how the DP-X1 performs with that since I exclusivley use streaming clients.

But anyway.. I found my battery drained almost every day even if I wasn't listening to music at all.. simply because the device was running all the day, streaming client opened, connected to the internet.

The DP-X1 is my first dedicated android music player and I was looking for a solution to turn it off automatically if it is not used for playing music. Different to any android phone this device has the only purpose of playing music so I was wondering why there is no power saving feature in times no music is played.

So I made one myself.
First I disabled all uneccesary system apps like google docs, and now my device starts up in around 30 seconds which is a totally satisfying waiting time for me.
And then I wrote an android application to observe the music player and if the there is no music playing for a configurable amount of time the system will poweroff.

To use it your device needs to be rooted. If I can remember correctly the instructions for rooting it can be found somewhere between page 450 and 550 of this thread..

How many days in standby are you getting?
Mine will last over 5 days in standby mode and this is unrooted.

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #11,661 of 16,326

So I made one myself.

Great work!

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #11,662 of 16,326
there are a few things that I am not sure of in this  - but I do appreciate you providing the link. I am wondering if I would be able to stop after the KingRoot section and leave it at that .... is there an issue with KingRoot

Oct 12, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #11,663 of 16,326
@howdy: I don't know exactly. I always try to turn it off when I don't use it. And every time I forget to turn it off, I find it empty or almost empty on the next day.

@sumnersn: Kingroot works perfectly. I did not replace it with SuperSU. It showed some advertisement on the lock screen but I managed to turn this off somehow.. I used the Purify-Feature which is good for saving battery since it kills unecessary processes but it caused a problem with the Spotify player so I stoped using it and disable all the system apps manually.
On the debug shell I saw KingRoot tries to connect some chinese servers once in while but maybe only to check for updates.
I would never use it on my phone where all my emails stored, but on this player I don't mind. I don't have any personal information stored there.

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #11,664 of 16,326
Does anyone know if approx. 4 year old JH Audio IEMs will work with this thing using the balanced output? I don't remember for sure the model but it was one of the higher end custom IEM models. Maybe the 11 series. I read in the manual that it is only recommended to use headphones of 32 ohms up to 600 ohms. I don't remember what the impedence of my IEMs are but most of the IEMs on the JH Audio website are 18 - 28 ohms. My guess is mine are closer to 18 ohms. Should I only use the single ended? I want to get the best sound quality out of the onkyo. 

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #11,665 of 16,326
Does anyone know if approx. 4 year old JH Audio IEMs will work with this thing using the balanced output? I don't remember for sure the model but it was one of the higher end custom IEM models. Maybe the 11 series. I read in the manual that it is only recommended to use headphones of 32 ohms up to 600 ohms. I don't remember what the impedence of my IEMs are but most of the IEMs on the JH Audio website are 18 - 28 ohms. My guess is mine are closer to 18 ohms. Should I only use the single ended? I want to get the best sound quality out of the onkyo. 

You will just have to get a balanced cable for your jh audio iems and will work perfectly through the balanced out. Right now you could use the single ended output.

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #11,666 of 16,326
Have to agree with you. Battery life not great. I've tried to turn off things that run in the background, and find its better to power off completely if I won't be using it for a few hours, rather that just a single press to turn off the screen. But last night I was listening to Tidal tracks over wifi while downloading a few Tidal albums for offline listening, and the battery dropped very quickly, even in airplane mode. Also agree on the sound though, especially balanced.
I'm thinking about switching to AK70 when they get Tidal done (apparently end of this month on the AK70 and AK3XX models).
there is a setting on second screen to run stand alone which turns off all un necessary programs and wifi. Helps battery life quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back