ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
May 17, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #8,371 of 16,326
At long last, I have received my DPA-GL033 screen protector! I have had my DP-X1 for almost a week now but I have been (im)patiently waiting for the screen protector so that I would not get any fingerprints on the screen. I'm really not sure how I found the willpower.
regular_smile .gif
I now have a new question for everyone, as trying to perform a search on this forum returns far too many unrelated posts. If someone has previously posted a reply to these questions, a link would be just as good as a reply here.

So, now that I have this wonderful screen protector, complete with Japanese instructions, how do I apply it properly to my DP-X1. Is it as tricky to get perfectly lined up, and bubble-free as the standard type of screen protector? Any hints and/or suggestions for how not to screw it up? Does it have adhesive on the back and you peel the film off and apply it? If I haven't touched the screen, should I still use the included alcohol wipe? What is the purpose of the smaller adhesive that is included in the plastic pouch with the alcohol wipe and dust cloth?

Thanks!

May 17, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #8,372 of 16,326

Not sure about the first question (although I have been charging it with whatever is lying around)

2) You'd need to download an app that supports DLNA from the Android Store, for eg. BubbleUPnP.

3) Android upsamples all USB audio out by default, however UAPP uses a separate framework which outputs USB audio at its original bitrate. So if you use UAPP you can avoid the Android resampling.

So any Kindle,Iphone charger will do ? No risk of damage to the DP-X1 ?

Am I correct that you would only need UAPP for other apps. Not the Onkyo player native to the DP-X1.

Thanks

May 17, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #8,374 of 16,326

Am I correct that you would only need UAPP for other apps. Not the Onkyo player native to the DP-X1.

Thanks

I can't guarantee anything but I'm not aware of anybody have problems with other chargers.

The native Onkyo player WILL resample as per android standards, sadly, which is why people are instead using UAPP.

May 17, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #8,375 of 16,326

Not sure about the first question (although I have been charging it with whatever is lying around)

2) You'd need to download an app that supports DLNA from the Android Store, for eg. BubbleUPnP.

3) Android upsamples all USB audio out by default, however UAPP uses a separate framework which outputs USB audio at its original bitrate. So if you use UAPP you can avoid the Android resampling.

In addition to @likearake post I have quoted above, UAPP also supports DNLA as well as providing USB audio out at it's original Bitrate.

May 17, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #8,376 of 16,326

Where did you order the Dignis case from. If directly from Dignis did you contact them by email as their website seems to suggest

I did order the case directly from Dignis, but this isn't an issue of a delay in shipping. It was shipped on 9 May and was in my country by 12 May. My country's postal system website is currently awol, but it would appear the case is still in Customs. My fingers are crossed that I will receive it tomorrow.

May 17, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #8,377 of 16,326

Thanks

Music App on the Onkyo should play at the correct Bitrate either via the headphones, line out or to an external DAC.

If you use an external Music app or service ie Google Music, Spotify or Tidal then these would suffer from the dreaded upsampling found in Android devices of which the DP-X1 is and as far as I know, no external app can correct this

The use of UAPP (or others apps such as V4A, Neutron, Onkyo HF Player etc.) are used primarily to connect the DP-X1 to an external DAC.

PS. some of these mentioned apps Neutron, V4A and UAPP, also have some added features which some users prefer, be that EQ or Tidal integration

May 17, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #8,379 of 16,326
  At long last, I have received my DPA-GL033 screen protector! I have had my DP-X1 for almost a week now but I have been (im)patiently waiting for the screen protector so that I would not get any fingerprints on the screen. I'm really not sure how I found the willpower.
regular_smile .gif
I now have a new question for everyone, as trying to perform a search on this forum returns far too many unrelated posts. If someone has previously posted a reply to these questions, a link would be just as good as a reply here.

So, now that I have this wonderful screen protector, complete with Japanese instructions, how do I apply it properly to my DP-X1. Is it as tricky to get perfectly lined up, and bubble-free as the standard type of screen protector? Any hints and/or suggestions for how not to screw it up? Does it have adhesive on the back and you peel the film off and apply it? If I haven't touched the screen, should I still use the included alcohol wipe? What is the purpose of the smaller adhesive that is included in the plastic pouch with the alcohol wipe and dust cloth?

Thanks!

I think this post might help you:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/7380#post_12517043

May 17, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #8,382 of 16,326
regular_smile .gif

Thanks!

I applied mine in the bathroom after the shower had been running. The moisture in the air keeps any dust down.

I didn’t use the alcohol wipe, just removed the factory fitted protection.

I removed the backing sheet from the GL033 completely and aligned it with the player by holding it very close but not touching. Once I was certain that it was perfectly aligned, I allowed one corner to touch and then ‘flowed’ it down diagonally across the player’s screen.

The rigidity of the GL033 appears to naturally drive out any air and prevent bubbles forming.

I was lucky to get it perfect on first attempt, however it has a fairly low-tack adhesive on it so I think it would be easy to pull back and reposition if necessary.

If you do get an errant piece of dust picked up, use a clean piece of scotch tape to remove it.

Good luck 
smile.gif

May 17, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #8,383 of 16,326

I applied mine in the bathroom after the shower had been running. The moisture in the air keeps any dust down.

I didn’t use the alcohol wipe, just removed the factory fitted protection.

I removed the backing sheet from the GL033 completely and aligned it with the player by holding it very close but not touching. Once I was certain that it was perfectly aligned, I allowed one corner to touch and then ‘flowed’ it down diagonally across the player’s screen.

The rigidity of the GL033 appears to naturally drive out any air and prevent bubbles forming.

I was lucky to get it perfect on first attempt, however it has a fairly low-tack adhesive on it so I think it would be easy to pull back and reposition if necessary.

If you do get an errant piece of dust picked up, use a clean piece of scotch tape to remove it.

Good luck 
smile.gif

Thank you very much for the tips, Peridot. It sounds as though the adhesive is a real dust magnet if you have to have that much humidity in the air. Does it make sense to have a credit card at the ready to push out any air bubbles?

May 17, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #8,384 of 16,326
Thank you very much for the tips, Peridot. It sounds as though the adhesive is a real dust magnet if you have to have that much humidity in the air. Does it make sense to have a credit card at the ready to push out any air bubbles?

Well I was being cautious, but any adhesive surface will tend to attract fine dust particles. No harm to have a credit card ready although it seems to expel them very well by itself.

Whether it was just luck, or partly the quality of the screen protector, I got the best result ever. You really wouldn't know there was a screen protector fitted.

May 17, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #8,385 of 16,326

Thanks

Any 1.5A phone charger will do. UAPP only needed if you want EQ for tidal. Actually I found myself not using it after awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back