ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 20, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #6,527 of 16,326
Mar 20, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #6,528 of 16,326
As someone who has only just come back to the audiophile scene, after a few years away, I've picked up a Plenue 1 and would like another player to try out alongside it, after I've offloaded some gear, would the Onkyo be a good option to use with my Angie's and Rhapsodio Galaxy, is it any better than the P1?

Also, I've never tried using a player in balanced mode, is there a good difference in the sound quality and are there any recommended cables?

Mar 20, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #6,529 of 16,326
I currently have the x7. If purely from SQ standpoint, is it worth it? I'm planning on balanced out from XBA-Z5 and Westone ES60.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I would wait and see once FiiO releases the balanced amp module for the X7. I'm expecting FiiO to release a great-sounding balanced amp based on what I've heard so far from other amp modules.

Mar 20, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #6,530 of 16,326
My 2.5mm trrs connectors finally arrived. I made a balanced cable (with some high quality wire) for my HD650 and had my first experience with balanced ACG sound from the Onkyo. I couldnt believe how amazing it sounds. There is a night and day difference with the balanced out. I have found the sound I was searching for and it will be with me for a while. This one is going to be difficult to beat.

I am about to do the same with my HD600 with copper Impact Audio Cables 2.5mm TRRS balanced.

Mar 20, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #6,533 of 16,326
All this talk about running headphones from DP-X1 lol, I'm also quite surprised how it actually manages to drive Ether quite okay SE but when once I tried balance, it was actually quite good for a slim brick. I'm waiting for my balanced DUM cable to arrive.

Mar 20, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #6,534 of 16,326
Thank you Whitigir. I will be getting that PM3 and cable in place. I have plenty of headphones for myself but I have never used the balanced. I have been trudging along with an old iPod and changing headphones amp but its a desktop thinking it just did not sound great. So I am off to check into Ripping with something like Nero. Is Tidal a good service? I am getting older and have never even used Spotify. My wife children and even my mom use it. I am going to take the next step forward and try Tidal. Is there a better software to convert my CD's and albums to higher resolution? I have been out of this almost 6 years and I have missed quite a bit.

Mar 20, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #6,535 of 16,326
  Thank you Whitigir. I will be getting that PM3 and cable in place. I have plenty of headphones for myself but I have never used the balanced. I have been trudging along with an old iPod and changing headphones amp but its a desktop thinking it just did not sound great. So I am off to check into Ripping with something like Nero. Is Tidal a good service? I am getting older and have never even used Spotify. My wife children and even my mom use it. I am going to take the next step forward and try Tidal. Is there a better software to convert my CD's and albums to higher resolution? I have been out of this almost 6 years and I have missed quite a bit.

You can't convert CDs to a higher resolution, you are constrained to how they were mastered (onto the CD I mean as the master tapes may indeed allow for higher resolution versions to be created). Plus 16bit depth captures the entire range of hearing possible in any real sense for what a human can hear. Yes Tidal is an excellent service and well worth trying. Spotify is also quite good, but people seem to suggest that Tidal sounds better.

Mar 20, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #6,537 of 16,326
I talked to Onkyo rep yesterday, the US version will go on sale during the HiFi show Mid April in Chicago. The retailer at start will be Amazon and maybe Best Buy. $799 Is the price. He has retail package with him and is the same as in Japan

Mar 20, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #6,538 of 16,326
I talked to Onkyo rep yesterday, the US version will go on sale during the HiFi show Mid April in Chicago. The retailer at start will be Amazon and maybe Best Buy. $799 Is the price. He has retail package with him and is the same as in Japan

Lol you pay extra for international warranty :D. Thanks for the info

Mar 20, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #6,539 of 16,326
Lol you pay extra for international warranty :D. Thanks for the info

Well at least its not $899 as predicted/expected!!!

Figure it will drop $50-$100 over the next year and then will not be worth buying from Japan.

If I recall correctly several people here have spent @ $700+- buying from Japan.

Good news!!!

Mar 20, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #6,540 of 16,326
Well at least its not $899 as predicted/expected!!!

Figure it will drop $50-$100 over the next year and then will not be worth buying from Japan.

If I recall correctly several people here have spent @ $700+- buying from Japan.

Good news!!!

Actually, whenever the price dropped here, the prices in Japan will be even lower. The real question will be....would it comes with volume cap ? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back