ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 19, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #6,511 of 16,326
My 5 cent:

I have relied on Tidal to provide me with new Albums and search for songs that are 20 years old. Knowing I am supporting artists and music industry is good feeling.

Mar 19, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #6,512 of 16,326
My 2.5mm trrs connectors finally arrived. I made a balanced cable (with some high quality wire) for my HD650 and had my first experience with balanced ACG sound from the Onkyo. I couldnt believe how amazing it sounds. There is a night and day difference with the balanced out. I have found the sound I was searching for and it will be with me for a while. This one is going to be difficult to beat.

Mar 19, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #6,513 of 16,326
My 2.5mm trrs connectors finally arrived. I made a balanced cable (with some high quality wire) for my HD650 and had my first experience with balanced ACG sound from the Onkyo. I couldnt believe how amazing it sounds. There is a night and day difference with the balanced out. I have found the sound I was searching for and it will be with me for a while. This one is going to be difficult to beat.

I don't hear any difference :D what am i doing wrong? :rolleyes:

Mar 19, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #6,514 of 16,326

You were able to drive the 650s with ACG? You must prefer quiet playback volumes. I had the DP-X1 on full in balanced mode driving the 400i!

Mar 19, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #6,517 of 16,326
I run the 800S at 145 on acg, 130 on balanced it was loud enough for me

Well, I'm working on learning to enjoy quieter music with less impact, but that must be really quiet. Anyway, there is no right or wrong way to enjoy music, just our preferences. I'll never want to get down to that quiet, but I do think I need to learn to go even quieter than I currently enjoy. It will be hard as once you drop the decibels down the impact of bass disappears to my ears. Still, I need to get smarter. 

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #6,518 of 16,326
Just a question if someone could help. I just ordered the DP-X1. But are the balanced headphones something special? What are some models to look at? I will go back through this but did not find this thread until after buying the DAP.

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #6,519 of 16,326
Just a question if someone could help. I just ordered the DP-X1. But are the balanced headphones something special? What are some models to look at? I will go back through this but did not find this thread until after buying the DAP.

1/ buy headphones with detachable cables, then you can order the cables to be made Balanced
2/ buy headphones and ask vendors to modify it, replace the cables to go balanced, and upgrade it or so.

Option 1 is the easiest and cheapest btw.

Mar 19, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #6,520 of 16,326

Excellent!

I'm feeling much the same after getting a few hours listening in on mine.

An offer from Sonic Defender of the balanced cable he'd had made for his HE400i led to me modifying my Beyer T51p to fit 2.5mm sockets to the earcups, and the pairing with the Onkyo is a match made in heaven 
L3000.gif

I was putting some cash away to buy the new T5p when the price drops a bit, but I'm not in any hurry now.

Mar 19, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #6,521 of 16,326

The PM3 is an awesome headphone with the DP-X1 and very easy to get a balanced cable for, just PM PETEREK and tell him you need a PM3 to DP-X1 cable, he has made a few of those!

Mar 19, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #6,523 of 16,326
I have a question. I don't have any DAP but an iPod. As far as I know, you can not browse music by composers on AK and Sony DAPs . Is that true also on Onkyo?

Onkyo has an option to browse by composers.

Mar 20, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #6,525 of 16,326
Hey everyone,

Been subscribed and watching this thread for the past week and finally have my DP-X1 today. I can't tell how happy I am with the performance and those DSP options are sick coming from AK120, AK100II and many iBasso and Fiio players.

Anyway, I have seen many of you talking about AGC vs balanced and I'm not sure whether the AGC does affect the 3.5mm SE as well. Can someone confirm this?
I have tried to turned it on and off while listening to my music, and I know my mind is tricking me thinking the AGC does improve the SE output as well. 
blink.gif

TIA and happy listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back