ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 22, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #5,626 of 16,326

Never mind my order was placed on the 18th and its already been shipped.  I believe you might have missed it because it would be odd that they offered me the 3 day service on the 18th and didn't have it on the 15th.

That's entirely possible. 

As with most things that I can't really afford, I had indulged in a couple of glasses of wine before I placed my order 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 22, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #5,627 of 16,326

That's entirely possible. 

As with most things that I can't really afford, I had indulged in a couple of glasses of wine before I placed my order 
tongue_smile.gif

Alcohol has laid waste entire civilizations so you can be forgiven the odd ill thought purchase.

Feb 22, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #5,628 of 16,326
My order was 2/15/16 and I haven't heard anything yet.

I'm fairly certain that the 3-day option wasn't available when I placed my order and it said dispatch within 2 weeks.

When ordering I asked Kaneda that I can pay extra to receive the Onkyo DP-X1 as fast as I can. He responded that if USA shipment the EMS 3 weeks or less and FedEx 3 days are the same amount of time delivering at my door and I should not wast money. However, they have just responded that they are sorry for shipment delay after waiting for more than 3 weeks and sent them 2 emails for reminding and they will ship on 2/26/16. Do anybody have any kind of hassle like I do now?

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #5,629 of 16,326
  Alcohol has laid waste entire civilizations so you can be forgiven the odd ill thought purchase.

Excellent! I should only do penance for the even numbered indiscretions then? 
biggrin.gif

Do anybody have any kind of hassle like I do now?

Sorry to hear that you have had problems. I have read only good reports of pricejapan on here and on other forums, so I suspect that this is an unusual situation. I hope you are not waiting too much longer.

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #5,630 of 16,326
Sorry to hear that you have had problems. I have read only good reports of pricejapan on here and on other forums, so I suspect that this is an unusual situation. I hope you are not waiting too much longer.

It is typical for my shipments to get incorrectly delivered or some odd issue come up. This is my main (and only reason) for holding out for a State side release.

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #5,631 of 16,326
When ordering I asked Kaneda that I can pay extra to receive the Onkyo DP-X1 as fast as I can. He responded that if USA shipment the EMS 3 weeks or less and FedEx 3 days are the same amount of time delivering at my door and I should not wast money. However, they have just responded that they are sorry for shipment delay after waiting for more than 3 weeks and sent them 2 emails for reminding and they will ship on 2/26/16. Do anybody have any kind of hassle like I do now?

Imagine me ordering October 25, last year then receiving it January 2016. Most of their issues where getting the stocks from their supplier, what option did you chose the retail or the wholesale?

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #5,632 of 16,326
I guess getting mine delivered in less than 72 hours after payment (on a Sunday, too!) was very lucky indeed. Can't see myself waiting for weeks for pricejapan or even less so for an April official release :)

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #5,634 of 16,326
  The balanced port on then DP-X1 is indeed ginger... Since I applied the Dignis protection film on top of the DAP, there's no more of that teerrible noise happening. The Peterek cable is nicely made indeed and because it is so light and flexible there's virtually no strain on the balanced port. However, there are some serious software or hardware issues with this DAP. The Oppo PM-3 are not exactly hard to drive and can get really loud indeed past 120/160. However, I wanted to see how strong the base can get with the DP-X1 and cranked it up to 150 and briefly to 160 where the distorsion was just unbearable showing the DAP amp reached its limits. The worst thing was that after some 20 seconds, the right channel lost about 20% in volume. I thought something got damaged but after going down to 120 and switching from the Onkyo player to Tidal, everything got back to normal. Before you say that all that could have been due to the headphones, let me tell you that driving the same unit with Mojo was nowhere near bad. The bass was so strong on Rolling Paper and Beyonce's Partition that the cups started floating on my ears :)
So my conclusion is, don't expect DP-X1 to drive your HD800s or other hard to drive headphones, or that it makes your Mojo redundant. Not bad as a standalone solution in balanced mode and driving IEMs or other easy to drive HPs I guess, but don't kid yourself thinking it is a powerhouse.

Dang it!  I wanted this to be my last portable purchase and then I would "eventually" like in a year or so, save up for an Oppo HA-1 and a respective headphone (PM-1 or HD800 or similar). With what you're saying. I wanted to do the PM-3 Balanced and possibly something like the 400i for more home use. Now, I'm not sure; I don't have a home amp and this was going to be it for now.

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #5,635 of 16,326

Dang it!  I wanted this to be my last portable purchase and then I would "eventually" like in a year or so, save up for an Oppo HA-1 and a respective headphone (PM-1 or HD800 or similar). With what you're saying. I wanted to do the PM-3 Balanced and possibly something like the 400i for more home use. Now, I'm not sure; I don't have a home amp and this was going to be it for now.

Don't give up on it yet. Balanced it sounds great with PM-3 at "normal" (real pretty pretty pretty loud!) levels though and could be that Onkyo will iron out remaining glitches with future firmware releases.

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #5,636 of 16,326

Did you not read my reply in the thread? You can't listen to the PM3 at 150 on ACG let alone full balanced output, unless your nuts. Yes if you hammer the PM3 at those volumes with sick bass it will start to distort. I play music louder than anybody I've ever met and even now with the 400i it is at 145. The amp does not distort, the PM3 does not handle the rough going as well as the 400i. I was able to get the 400i at150 on the Onkyo with that Beyoncé song with no issues at all so why didn't I get distortion? You would never be able to play the PM3 with modern, loud music at 150 on the Onkyo, that is stupid loud.

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #5,637 of 16,326

Did you not read my reply in the thread? You can't listen to the PM3 at 150 on ACG let alone full balanced output, unless your nuts. Yes if you hammer the PM3 at those volumes with sick bass it will start to distort. I play music louder than anybody I've ever met and even now with the 400i it is at 145. The amp does not distort, the PM3 does not handle the rough going as well as the 400i. I was able to get the 400i at150 on the Onkyo with that Beyoncé song with no issues at all so why didn't I get distortion? You would never be able to play the PM3 with modern, loud music at 150 on the Onkyo, that is stupid loud.

I eventually got there, sorry. Ok. I'm still pretty much sold on the Onkyo. The other pits are in shipping. HA-2 heads back tomorrow. Now, to hold out till the US shops get them in. Do you think If I ordered a unit from Japan, that I could get it serviced here in the states if needed?

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #5,638 of 16,326

I eventually got there, sorry. Ok. I'm still pretty much sold on the Onkyo. The other pits are in shipping. HA-2 heads back tomorrow. Now, to hold out till the US shops get them in. Do you think If I ordered a unit from Japan, that I could get it serviced here in the states if needed?

Yes, the Onkyo has a decent amplifier section, of course it isn't perfect, but it is solid. You won't drive difficult loads with it, but that is almost becoming a non issue these days. It seems all the big players now are putting serious effort into designing easier to drive headphones. Even flagships can be driven by smartphones. Not ideally driven, but hell I am rocking the 400i right as I type with some European club nu jazz electronica at a solid loud volume and it sounds freaking good. So given the 400i is a moderate load I would say the Onkyo can satisfy a great deal of users needs. It should buy you time to get a solid amp and then you have an awesome transport for at home and on the go a single in your pocket device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back