ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 20, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #5,581 of 16,326

You may not, but as much as I love my digital technology, my favourite way of listening to music is with the needle in the groove 
darthsmile.gif

still use my vinil and walkmans, analog sound still preferred, now just make DSD files from LP, and put it to onkyo - sounds better than home system, tape walkmans - is another story, got huge collection of them, more nostalgic and more about mechanical parts, and feelings from the old times.

Feb 20, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #5,582 of 16,326
  We see things as popping out of nowhere, but science builds upon science, and the seeds of ideas have been planted long before we see the plant spring out of the earth.

So poetic
biggrin.gif
    Agree totally of course. Although of course, sometimes the best inventions are not always the ones that end up becoming mass adopted. Like a green shoot springing up out of the earth, full of beauty and intelligence, only to be stomped on by its big ugly weed of an older brother
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #5,585 of 16,326
How do the 64 Audio U12 pair with the Onkyo please? Are they worth the huge cost in comparison to say the Sony Z5's?

The U12 pair beautifully with DP-X1 in my opinion. In particular the DP-X1 helps express the amazing imaging and soundstage of the U12 (very holographic rendering, pretty eerie at times how good it is, and always natural never overdone).

It also helps balancing the warmth of the U12 lifting transparency and clarity to its potential which is surprising (and totally TOTL level) for a warm set of IEMs. This makes for quite a unusual experience as I have never heard this out of a warm IEM. Warm AND airy? Try it to believe it!

I have had the Z5 for a year, ran it balanced with PHA-3. I love the Z5 but I sold it precisely because of the lack of transparency and clarity, it's darker than the U12. Compared to the Z5, the U12 has much better instrument separation and "air", also it has much more depth and the sound is more layered. Mids are more forward and vocals are simply not on the same plane field. Bass much are better controlled and defined on the U12, you won't get the thundery bass of the Z5, not that the U12 is bass shy but it has lots of detail and textured while kicking pretty well (it's a bass head TOTL, lots of headfiers chose U10 for this reason). U8 is bassier than the U12 and would be a great upgrade path already from Z5.

Now is it worth it? I'd say yes definitely it's simply clear that Z5 and U12 are technically on different plane fields. But that's very personal... As I said from what I have read the U8 could be the more natural and less expensive upgrade from the Z5. Maybe check the Adel IEMs thread.

Hope it helps!

Feb 21, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #5,586 of 16,326
  How do the 64 Audio U12 pair with the Onkyo please? Are they worth the huge cost in comparison to say the Sony Z5's?

Can't add much to what davidmolliere said above, total agreement. Except to say that the U12 and the Onkyo hit a home run in my book. Simply amazing combination, that is with the U12 being fed balanced.
U8, which I also have, and listened to today, is good, but not near the same level.

Feb 21, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #5,587 of 16,326
I ended up with a t8ie, looks like I'll be going through quite a long ride until I can get the same sound as the worn down demo unit lol. Waiting for the Wagnus blue moon cable too.

Oh yea, the Singaporean canjam, DP-X1 has become the AK47 of DAP.

Feb 21, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #5,588 of 16,326
I have ordered a dignis case but realized there are no openings for the sd cards in order to use an sd adapter. May have to cut a hole into this beautiful case

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #5,589 of 16,326
I encountered a problem running balanced. Every now and then, there is a very strong noise that pierces my ears. It happens randomly and sounds like there is a short somewhere. Not a cable connection issue as the noise disappeared as soon as I toggle the balanced mode button. It also only happens with Tidal and never with the Onkyo player. I also noticed that it is more likely to trigger the noise when volume is above 120.

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #5,590 of 16,326
I returned my Onyko unit as I found it to be a quality nightmare. I also have a Pioneer DAP and the difference on the assembly, connection ports,etc is just noticeable.
From a sound perspective using the 3.5 mm connection could not find any difference between both units including sound.
The Only had a premium $155 over the Pioneer and just was not worth when you look at build quality
Also was experiencing some "skips" when playing offline Tidal tracks stored in the card .
However I have noticed this on the Pioneer and I think it may be the card. It happens mostly during the first 5-10 minutes of play on each DAP

Oh well

Feb 21, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #5,591 of 16,326
I ended up with a t8ie, looks like I'll be going through quite a long ride until I can get the same sound as the worn down demo unit lol.

Maybe I should have waited before returning if I had known the burn in was in hundreds of hours territory... I don't regret the U12 :p

Feb 21, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #5,592 of 16,326
Maybe I should have waited before returning if I had known the burn in was in hundreds of hours territory... I don't regret the U12
tongue.gif

Nah, as long you're happy with your equipment, there's nothing wrong with it lol. I almost ordered a U8 actually but for the asking price and the subjective performance/$ I picked this because it sounds kinda similar but with different approach imo. I'm really a single dynamic driver dude I guess lol.

Feb 21, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #5,593 of 16,326
I encountered a problem running balanced. Every now and then, there is a very strong noise that pierces my ears. It happens randomly and sounds like there is a short somewhere. Not a cable connection issue as the noise disappeared as soon as I toggle the balanced mode button. It also only happens with Tidal and never with the Onkyo player. I also noticed that it is more likely to trigger the noise when volume is above 120.

Try put a thin piece of plastic between the earphones jack and the dap metal body for isolation. It may be the cause.

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #5,595 of 16,326
Try put a thin piece of plastic between the earphones jack and the dap metal body for isolation. It may be the cause.

You're the man with inside information on the DP-X1. So is this considered a fault that is common, or is isolated?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back