ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 13, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #5,267 of 16,326

THIS!  I would highly recommend doing this.  And this is what I meant by a very stock Google Android UI - almost everything is untouched; even the stuff that maybe should have been. 

Long-press and drag the apps such as Gmail, Google Play Books, etc from the app tray up to "App Info" when it appears at the top then select "Disable".  Easy way to get rid of them and keep them from unnecessarily phoning home and draining battery.

I assume going into the Settings > Apps and disabling them this way achieves the same effect? I'm brand new to Android (shout out to Blackberry 10 as a great OS) so my knowledge is rather weak.

Feb 13, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #5,269 of 16,326

​Absolutely!  I too had high hopes for BB10 :).  Android is pretty great though, so long as it isn't destroyed by the manufacturer.

Do you disable "Google play service"? 

Feb 13, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #5,271 of 16,326
Maybe I can get some feedback on this dap from people that have a Mojo (or other dac I guess) . I am disappointed that there is no coax out on this, as I would like to connect it to my Mojo. I find usb so hard to work with, bad connects that disconnect with moves. Anyone have positive experiences using this with Mojo otg?

Feb 13, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #5,272 of 16,326

Onkyo DP-X1 Review

Thought I'd put in my two cents since receiving my unit two weeks ago. Being the newbie to the audiophile and Head-Fi scene, I'm going to give the most blunt review I can. Apologies for the non-initiated tone in this review.

Build: Honestly; even given the concern of the non-secured/loose jacks (mainly the balanced jack), this think is a rock. Beautifully utilitarian; it has a very "sharp", yet luxurious feel. It reminds me very much of a Lamborghini; angular and high-end finish with subtle smooth touches such as the volume-knob dip in the chassis. The buttons feel solid, look good, and press in with a nice muted 'click'. The volume knob, while not as high-end feeling after a week of use; is very precise and serves its function well. As for the aforementioned "loose jacks", while I do see people's concern, I do not consider it a major issue. I likely will try one of those "fixes" mentioned in the forum, but if you aren't being rough with it, it's no different than many other jacks I've worked with on other high-end electronics and will likely last for years if treated gently.

Usability: (this includes UI). The device is nearly a PURE Android experience. Coming from a Device IT and gadget technology background, this is a Godsend. Most companies opt to change the already VERY good Google Android UI (ala Samsung, HTC, and the modifications and pointless apps that Verizon et'all loves to cram on their phones). The Onkyo DP-X1 is a near perfect representation of Google's vision albeit with the necessary modifications to interact with the DACs and volume controls. It is a subtle mod. The only thing I wish they did is actually bring those mods a little more forward - i.e. for the DAC controls (SLOW, FAST, SHORT and timing mods) I wish they made them accessible from the drop-down notification tray instead of under the Audio and Notification section of the Settings. The Audio Player is actually phenomenal. With the exception of folder browsing (something that I understand is coming and which I don't find urgent) the UI is very intuitive. SO much so, that my brother-in-law who has never used a DAP in his life took to it and started song playback without any input from me within seconds. It's easy to adjust settings in the app, get to a song quickly, and jog to a point in the song easily. The playback UI is very pretty and futuristic without being annoying and still remaining functional.

Audio: So this is what you buy a Hi-Res DAP for anyway, so how does it sound coming from a Zune HD and an LG V10 (which uses a version of the DACs seen in this DAP)? In word; wonderful. I won't go so far as to say it is the best thing I've ever heard in my life (and when you hear what I'm listening to it with, you'll know why), but it does add a new spark to my music. My taste in music is as follows; anything but twangy country or reggae. I listen to a little of everything: Pop, Classic Rock, Folk, Indie Rock, Jazz, Classical, Hip-Hop, Experimental Electronic (usually involving strings of some sort ala Lindsey Sterling, Piano Guys, etc). Most of what I throw at it sounds just great. Sound signature (again, from the un-initiated newbie audiophile) is warm where it needs to be, crisp where it counts, and punchy without being harsh. The bass is smooth but not slushy, mids fairly pronounced, and highs are defined. While I normally like a slightly warmer overall sound, this is damn close and very satisfying especially on the "SLOW" DAC setting. I am listening to it with a pair of Polk 'Buckle' headphones which they themselves have always been a little too bass-y but seem to come alive properly with this DAP. I am looking forward to finding a good pair of IEMs or re-cabling a pair of headphones for TRRS output connection.

Misc: Probably the best thing about this device is all the OTHER things it does so well. Tidal, Pocket Casts, Audible, and more - all do so well on this. The screen is gorgeous for a DAP so video podcasts look great. Small Android games play very well and anything that I've thrown at it runs great (web browsing, etc).

For the money, (I paid $650) this is probably my favorite piece of electronics I've bought in a long time. SO much fun to just use and transports oneself to a soundscape that can't be beat for the price.
I give it a 4 out of 5.
Cheers!

Thanks...

Is TRRS respective to Right- Right+ Left+ Left-   I need to hook up a balanced cable.
Does this "line out" provide a digital out or an analog out.  All it shows is "line out mode".

Feb 13, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #5,273 of 16,326
  Is it just me only that I prefer my HD800 modded out of Onkyo on balanced ACG over Mojo + Onkyo? ...

..with a single connection, I found the HD700 and the DP-X1 to be cold/warm to my taste, but super vivid, and I love the resolution. So far, the DAP on with normal and slow seems to warm it up a bit for me.  I plan to use it without any external devices, so I hope the balanced connection will give it even more space, warmth, and ease.  At home, I can always just run it through my Sony PHA3.  ..but I plan to check-out the balanced sound before I judge.  

Did ACG sound that much better than Balanced.  Did you find it a little cold when directly connected to the HD800?

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #5,275 of 16,326
Post a picture of your favorite custom EQ preset and what headphone/IEM you use with it.
L3000.gif

Heir Audio 8.0 universal IEM, 3.5mm jack, ACG on. (still tweaking)

Feb 14, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #5,276 of 16,326
Maybe I can get some feedback on this dap from people that have a Mojo (or other dac I guess) . I am disappointed that there is no coax out on this, as I would like to connect it to my Mojo. I find usb so hard to work with, bad connects that disconnect with moves. Anyone have positive experiences using this with Mojo otg?

I use 10 sm. L-shaped OTG cable - it works without any issues, and 7 sm. cable to connect LG V10 + Mojo - same  just 5.99 at ebay

Feb 14, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #5,277 of 16,326

I have not experienced any issues when connecting to my Mojo. I have used the L-shaped USB OTG cables

I use 10 sm. L-shaped OTG cable - it works without any issues, and 7 sm. cable to connect LG V10 + Mojo - same  just 5.99 at ebay

Yep these are the ones I am referring too..  10cm and 7cm

Feb 14, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #5,278 of 16,326
Hi! Everyone,

I am new in DAPs and IEMs. I have just bought the DP-X1 and I am using 1964ears Qi custom IEM.

I have also changed my cable to Effect Audio Thor silver cable.

I am not familiar with balanced cable and would like to know more about this since there is a balanced output on the DP-X1.

Will a balanced 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female adapter work as a solution using the 2.5mm balanced output on the DP-X1?

Or will I need to change a new special balanced cable? I think the Thor silver cable is not a balanced cable.

I hope someone can help shed some light on this. Appreciate this!

Feb 14, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #5,279 of 16,326
Hi! Everyone,

I am new in DAPs and IEMs. I have just bought the DP-X1 and I am using 1964ears Qi custom IEM.

I have also changed my cable to Effect Audio Thor silver cable.

I am not familiar with balanced cable and would like to know more about this since there is a balanced output on the DP-X1.

Will a balanced 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female adapter work as a solution using the 2.5mm balanced output on the DP-X1?

Or will I need to change a new special balanced cable? I think the Thor silver cable is not a balanced cable.

I hope someone can help shed some light on this. Appreciate this!

Welcome @signoftimes

You will need a cable that ends in 2.5mm (TRRS, which is the most common balanced connector these days). I use balanced Effect Audio cables and they sound great. Your single-ended cable should be good with that cable / IEM combo, but you will enjoy the balanced a bit more, so it's worth the upgrade.

Will be interested to hear how those IEMs sound with the Onkyo.

Feb 14, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #5,280 of 16,326
Welcome @signoftimes

You will need a cable that ends in 2.5mm (TRRS, which is the most common balanced connector these days). I use balanced Effect Audio cables and they sound great. Your single-ended cable should be good with that cable / IEM combo, but you will enjoy the balanced a bit more, so it's worth the upgrade.

Will be interested to hear how those IEMs sound with the Onkyo.

Which Effect Audio cable do you use? How do you know which type to buy, copper, silver, pure copper, silver + copper, etc?
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back