ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 30, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #4,606 of 16,328

Really pleased with it, originally I had AKG K451s which I knew I needed to upgrade so was a bit underwhelmed when the Onkyo first arrived but through the KEFs wow! So I'm really interested to know what a balanced pair would add to the mix! But again that's the beauty of this device its superb as a baseline unit with SE but has so much more potential for later upgrades

Sadly you can't do the KEFs balanced, the cup connector and internal wiring isn't designed for it, hence why I went the PM3 route. The M500 is a gorgeous sounding headphone and I'm sure in SE it is amazing so don't torture yourself. If you are getting a sound you love then you're golden.

Jan 30, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #4,608 of 16,328
Could new owners chime in on whether the fix in the jack secureness is universal across all new units?
smily_headphones1.gif

I also am wondering about this...

Jan 30, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #4,609 of 16,328

There doesn't appear to be a noticeable gap on the sockets on mine, I was trying to find the photos of the problem units but the thread is so big now its hard to find anything. Just wondered if the problem units were on the pre yellow X1 logos?

Jan 30, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #4,611 of 16,328
There doesn't appear to be a noticeable gap on the sockets on mine, I was trying to find the photos of the problem units but the thread is so big now its hard to find anything. Just wondered if the problem units were on the pre yellow X1 logos?

I don't think it has any correlation to the yellow printing. Do the 2.5 and 3.5 jacks shake about when you jiggle them with your fingers?

Jan 30, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #4,612 of 16,328
Mine have the gaps, and I was wrong, I do have the yellow lettering. That said, as of this time I have had no issues with the jacks so at least for me and so far, the gaps are meaningless beyond aesthetics.

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #4,616 of 16,328

I used single ended for my Ether (open back) and it is not satisfactory, the sound is not full and really feels lacking. I'm sure balanced will solve all the problem though because when I added an amp on the single ended line, the sound really becomes fuller and textured.

You haven't tried balanced out of Onkyo by any chance? Thanks.

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #4,618 of 16,328
Could new owners chime in on whether the fix in the jack secureness is universal across all new units?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mine does have fairly noticeable gaps and yellow writing. After having thought about it I filled the gaps with supper glue because I wanted to minimise the possibility of this problem happening to my unit. I figured having bought it from pricejapan warranty claims would be awkward and my intentions were to keep dpx1 for couple of years until something better comes out, so didn't have much to loose. Anyway, I used the smallest needle I could find to fill the gaps with supper glue and wiped the residue with nail polish removal, here are the photographs of this process:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back