ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 28, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #4,411 of 16,326
Whatever, I have 1.26 and my DP-X1 sounds fantastic, I'm not sure what else it is supposed to give me in terms of sound.

Jan 28, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #4,418 of 16,326
  Can someone recommend a different music player that supports CUE/ISO files?  I know the potential degradation in terms of audio quality but right now, the in-built app doesn't see those files.

Neutron Music Player supports CUE files.
For .iso files, I think only video players support this (can't find a music app that does this), you can try VLC player.

I would actually advise you to convert your files into FLAC, and split into individual tracks for use on your DAP.
You can use foobar to convert/split and mp3tag for tagging operations.
It might be tedious but will definitely pay off in the long run!

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #4,422 of 16,326
Jan 28, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #4,423 of 16,326
Returning again to these reports that firmware 1.26 sounds bad. I have no idea what these people are experiencing, but there is no way on earth it is a universal thing. I continue everyday to realise just how freaking good this DAP sounds, and I'm running 1.26. So for anybody out there worried, don't just jump to a conclusion that a few random reports are at all the final word and there is something wrong. I'm quite sure a firmware update might contain fixes that have nothing to do with sound quality at all, rather they might address OS stability issues. Anyway, I have no idea specifically what 1.26 fixed or added, but it sounds fantastic regardless.

Jan 28, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #4,424 of 16,326
  Returning again to these reports that firmware 1.26 sounds bad. I have no idea what these people are experiencing, but there is no way on earth it is a universal thing. I continue everyday to realise just how freaking good this DAP sounds, and I'm running 1.26. So for anybody out there worried, don't just jump to a conclusion that a few random reports are at all the final word and there is something wrong. I'm quite sure a firmware update might contain fixes that have nothing to do with sound quality at all, rather they might address OS stability issues. Anyway, I have no idea specifically what 1.26 fixed or added, but it sounds fantastic regardless.

Based on my experience with the Fiio X5, every update there will be people claiming the sound was affected one way or another. Not saying it is not true, but personally I was not able to perceive any difference other than in functionality. Also at every release Fiio had to send an official statement explaining  that sound was not affected in any way. I really hope I am not able to perceive any negative  sound difference when that time comes again.

Jan 28, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #4,425 of 16,326
  Based on my experience with the Fiio X5, every update there will be people claiming the sound was affected one way or another. Not saying it is not true, but personally I was not able to perceive any difference other than in functionality. Also at every release Fiio had to send an official statement explaining  that sound was not affected in any way. I really hope I am not able to perceive any negative  sound difference when that time comes again.

Yes, we see these reactions frequently. Rather knee-jerk if you ask me. It could be as simple as a firmware fix to correct some people not receiving OTA updates, or a screen freezing when application X runs in mode Y, who knows? Why people blindly assume every firmware update can and will affect sound quality is beyond me. I'm sure it is possible, but without proof I say people should cool their jets, e-mail Onkyo and ask what the fixes in a new firmware addressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back