ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 15, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #3,511 of 16,326
I like it, but does anybody else find the Onkyo to have very strong bass?

Which headphones are you using?

On my AKG K 712 the extra bass delivery from the Onkyo DP-X1 is a great asset. I wouldn't mind a little more meat but the fluidity of the overall music is near perfect for me :)

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #3,512 of 16,326
I'm just glad it's being released.
Just hope for a nice speedy delivery ^^

Thanks.
So am I, it's the not knowing that really bugged me I had to call 5 times to know what was happening and then they told me we can't give you any timeframe oO
And of course, there was the possibility of being delayed yet by them asking additional papers... which didn't happen (sigh).

We'll see, the french EMS carrier (Chronopost) is really buggy they have a history of failed delivery but I am going to bug customer service and make sure door code and my phone is registered. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #3,513 of 16,326
Rudi just confirmed that the lastest firmware is not as good as previous one. I do believe in firmware making changes to the sound as  I used to play around with Custom russian firmwares on my HDP R10, each of them improved UI significantly and changing sound signature to one's liking. It would be great if someone finally made a custom firmware out of this device.

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #3,514 of 16,326
I like it, but does anybody else find the Onkyo to have very strong bass?

Yes. After listening session for a few days I notice this as well. However, I think the bass has a good body, punchy, tight and fast. The kind of bass I like.

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #3,515 of 16,326
The thing is, I have used this firmware for more than 48 hours and I don't feel any differences, even if it is minute.

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #3,517 of 16,326
timg

timg

i am worried.

what happened?
confused_face_2.gif

how? 
confused_face.gif

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #3,518 of 16,326
@PoRidge, man does that suck. Really sorry to see that. What did happen, did you unplug a balanced headphone and it came loose?

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #3,519 of 16,326
Yes. After listening session for a few days I notice this as well. However, I think the bass has a good body, punchy, tight and fast. The kind of bass I like.

Normally I do too, and I do in this case with the caveat that the PM3 for my taste has already an emphasized bass response that while well controlled, at higher volumes, and with bass heavy music can start to bloom and boom a little. I think I will need a gentle EQ cut to tame the bass. This isn't something that is a fault with either item, just a case where tastes and synergy differ a little. That said the positive qualities of the PM3 far exceed this so I'm still happy with the headphone. I'll see what if anything changes when my balanced cable arrives. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #3,521 of 16,326
Normally I do too, and I do in this case with the caveat that the PM3 for my taste has already an emphasized bass response that while well controlled, at higher volumes, and with bass heavy music can start to bloom and boom a little. I think I will need a gentle EQ cut to tame the bass. This isn't something that is a fault with either item, just a case where tastes and synergy differ a little. That said the positive qualities of the PM3 far exceed this so I'm still happy with the headphone. I'll see what if anything changes when my balanced cable arrives. 

Yeah, it's all about synnegy. I wish your new cable get along well with both DP-X1 and PM3 :) Anyway is it silver cable?

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #3,523 of 16,326
Yeah, it's all about synnegy. I wish your new cable get along well with both DP-X1 and PM3
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyway is it silver cable?

I don't think it is silver, and I'm kind of a cable agnostic so I'm not sure if a cable will change much. I think it is just simply a case of gear synergy. I'm glad that the Onkyo has a good EQ as some cutting is in order for me. Not much, maybe going down a few decibels at most for a couple of frequencies. Is the EQ actually parametric? I only quickly looked at it, but I don't think it is a parametric EQ which is unfortunate as I like to control the EQ more.  

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #3,524 of 16,326
well, that is not mine, but i am worried. no warrenty, right?

There is warranty, the user just has to send it to Japan if the seller is willing to do the claim and I'm sure they will. Any explanation for what happened?

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #3,525 of 16,326
  Rudi just confirmed that the lastest firmware is not as good as previous one. I do believe in firmware making changes to the sound as  I used to play around with Custom russian firmwares on my HDP R10, each of them improved UI significantly and changing sound signature to one's liking. It would be great if someone finally made a custom firmware out of this device.

Basically right now, the recommandation is stay off firmware update for people who just got it then, good to know... Also back up each firmware archive. It's up on jp.onkyo.com? Can't seem to find it...

What in the world ?somebody forced 3.5 TRRS into it ?

That or a straight plug got bent hard... ugly picture :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back