ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 11, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #2,941 of 16,326
^ Agreed, I posted way back in the FiiO thread that my best guess was that it was rushed to market as the marketing people put the pressure on the development team. I doubt the testing team couldn't have picked up on those faults before release given enough time. I think FiiO erred by even announcing the X7 so long in advance. They could have recruited a few solid audiophiles to give them suggestions and only announced the X7 when it was a solid beta. It seems they wanted to do right by the community and get everybody's input right away, but I do feel that was an error they are paying for now. Shame, I'm a big fan of their gear and love how responsive they are to this community.

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #2,942 of 16,326
BOOM

Gizmag has released information about the Onkyo DP-X1 being released internationally, well the US, around April.

Cost? $899.99.
(Remember, I called and predicted it first, multiple times, in these last few pages of this thread! Where are my gold stars folks?).

Here's the official US Onkyo DP-X1 link too.

So there you have it. Even then I think the Onkyo DP-X1 US price is pretty good.

However, to those who have imported the DP-X1 have done so at MASSIVE SAVINGS!

Anyone seriously thinking of getting this unit, and are not perturbed with warranty, DO SO ASAP before prices go up (importing or when it arrives internationally)!

Just to add, even with PriceJapan.com's extra fees, and my extra costs for the official DPA-GL033 glass screen protector and official DPA-PUX1 leather case (the latter is being released later this month) it is STILL cheaper than the proposed $899.99 US price!
Some users got all three and spent extra on expedited shipping, and that is again cheaper still than $900!

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #2,943 of 16,326
Cost? $899.99.
So there you have it. Even then I think the Onkyo DP-X1 US price is pretty good.

However, to those who have imported the DP-X1 have done so at MASSIVE SAVINGS!

Anyone seriously thinking of getting this unit, and are not perturbed with warranty, DO SO ASAP before prices go up (importing or when it arrives internationally)!

Not surprised, which means possibly 899€ in Europe which would make it just 100€ above the XDP-100 unless Pioneer lowers its price which would make sense. Still a good deal considering the competition. You save even more if you're in Europe (as usual, but that's the problem of leveling by the top among european countries).

The US website marketing tagline is interresting, they really want to hit the market price hard with the "Portable, Powerful, Pricey"  tagline.

And they take pride on the ACG implementation :

Two Types of Balanced Drive

Balanced output via the 2.5mm 4 pole supports the more standard Balanced (BTL) drive as well as the more esoteric ACG (Active Control GND) drive.

ACG drive gives greater stability: increased S/N ratio; greater spatial dimensionality, and clean sound; greater deliniation for lower frequencies in Hi-Res audio, and overall robust and taut sound. BTL drive supplies increased power.

Power gains and increased sound separation associated with balanced output are repurposed to create increased stability for a clean signal and greater sound clarity, especially compared to unbalanced drive.

BTW, has any brand implemented this kind of thing in DAPs or Amp/DACs already?

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #2,945 of 16,326
Guys, any news on other cases or leather cases? from Dignis ?

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #2,946 of 16,326
So what's the consensus re the best shipping method to UK, FedEx or EMS?

EMS

PriceJapan.com has been shipping the Onkyo DP-X1 via EMS faster based on previous users who got their units in the last week or so.

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #2,948 of 16,326
Not surprised, which means possibly 899€ in Europe which would make it just 100€ above the XDP-100 unless Pioneer lowers its price which would make sense. Still a good deal considering the competition. You save even more if you're in Europe (as usual, but that's the problem of leveling by the top among european countries).

The US website marketing tagline is interresting, they really want to hit the market price hard with the "Portable, Powerful, Pricey"  tagline.

And they take pride on the ACG implementation :

BTW, has any brand implemented this kind of thing in DAPs or Amp/DACs already?

Yes, and UK prices could be worse!

Plus that's the price of the Onkyo DP-X1 sans accessories.

Onkyo, and Pioneer, went all in in making truly spectacular DAP's at better prices than the competition by a MILE!

AGC is only unique to Onkyo DP-X1. ^^

Jan 11, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #2,949 of 16,326
OH MY GOD!

Remember my friend from the audio industry, well known on here?

He asked me the most powerful game to play on Android.

I've loved The Room series, one and two, but The Room Three was recently released on Android (I had an early beta version).

So, he's playing it on his DP-X1, with a MOTHER OF GOD HIFIMAN HE1000 BALANCED!

ENVIOUS!

Jan 11, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #2,951 of 16,326
  On the fence about purchasing from PriceJapan or waiting a little later until the EU release date, I'm curious if Pricejapan would increase their asking price when it releases beyond Japan. Also, I'm not too sure if the Onyko would be limited by any EU noise regulations. 
tongue.gif

I'm glad I went with a the unbridled Japanese Sony ZX-2 (was cheaper too! 830eur) than waiting for Sony Belgium to get one for 1200euros with volume cap...
DP-X1 cost me 600eur via PriceJapan. Cheaper and no volume cap :wink: 

So what's the consensus re the best shipping method to UK, FedEx or EMS?

I picked EMS, was shipped on the 5th and left Japan on the 6th. EMS relies on the national postal service once it arrives in our respective countries.

And my DP-X1 is at french custom just 15km out of here, we'll see!

Mine arrived at the Belgian customs on the 7th. (12K Yen declared value). Only today was it released and moved over to Bpost with COD. I reckon I'll get it by Thursday.

Quote:
  Guys, any news on other cases or leather cases? from Dignis ?

Even if I've ordered the  DPA-PUX1, I'm also waiting on Dignis to make a more elegant and thicker one. Sent them an email inquiry for more info. The more the demands, the more our chances of seeing one being made :p

Yes, I did all I could to max out my ZX2. TRRS plugs, sound adjustment disabled; I even sent it to Mezzo Soprano for modification. I still prefer the DP-X1. Very much a taste thing though; for example, I find the Chord Hugo to sound like utter **** and completely unworthy of it's ludicrous price tag, and the Mojo, while more agreeable to my ears, still doesn't tickle my fancy (the DP-X1 has an insanely black background, if you're looking for that).

This! I'm impatiently waiting but also trepidating. Ever since Shigzeo's RMAA and the multiple reports of it being black quiet. I hope the DP-X1 won't hiss with the Empire Zeus XIV ciem.

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #2,952 of 16,326
Just an update...

My Onkyo DP-X1 is in the UK. Parcel Force have indicated that charges are raised, meaning they are calculating whether to charge me, are going to charge me, or send a letter with customs charge.

No idea what the cost will be.
Will ring Parcel Force tomorrow and enquiry (without mentioning charge).

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #2,953 of 16,326
Jan 11, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #2,954 of 16,326
Why stir a hornets nest as they say.

Very true, but I have two of three things I can do:

• Ask about package progress. If they advise a charge I'll mention to them that it is a gift and cost is marked on package low,
  • If they accept and withdraw charges, AWESOME (I can then ask for delivery time period),
  • If charges still apply, then rather than wait for letter, pay over the phone, then ask for when will parcel be delivered).

Yes it's a risk, but I'm not waiting on a customs letter and rather get such issues resolved asap.
Aim is to convince them to see item as it is marked; a gift.

We shall see...

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #2,955 of 16,326
Well I'm impressed by how fast I got a reply from Dignis :D (Jeongjae Lee, Dignis designer)
Prototype case sample in the making already. There's a blog about it:

Quoting the google translate of http://blog.naver.com/dignis/220594084256:

Many foreign user who will start the development of DP-X1 case of Onkyo request.
Before the domestic market, but it has not yet obtained difficult in Japan.
The case probably expected to be released in mid to late February.
So please look forward to a nice case
[Source] Onkyo DP-X1 case development | Author Dignis

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back