ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 16, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #2,147 of 16,326
Well the dude acknowledges that he isn't so much verse in audio, but still TL;DR version of the video:
* he likes the interface and thinks it is cool overall, don't agree with the net's general comment that it is difficult to use
* interface is very smooth
* battery leaves a bit to desire
* wish there's an official case with the release of the DAP
* the EQ is very good and allows for many adjustments for different taste, praised the presents by famous artists
* As a heavy user of Sony's products, he thinks that in first impression people will like Sony's sound more due to it having more initial impact, whereas the Onkyo sound is more neutral/plain and may be of a developed taste 
* compares favourably in SQ to Sony's DAP like the ZX100 which is in the same price range, and has much better cost/performance ratio to AK.  While he would love to own an AK such as the 320/380, realistically he would buy the Onkyo due to the price
* the accompanying software is junk
* even though previously he tried an iPhone + amp combo, this DAP for him is better because it's simpler and no extra wires to mess with
* happy that there's another local (Japanese) maker besides Sony making DAPs so there are more choices

Actually his impression is pretty much very similar to mine.  

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #2,149 of 16,326
Neutral and plain are very common to these with operational DAC chip and amplification chip. Even ak240 did not have the tonal density as the Sony zx2 :D. It is good that Sony is back into the game.

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/-hnaWKdBDzA[/VIDEO]

Mean while you can see this short clip about Zx2. Sony stated that it is the only company in the world with sound technology of this caliber. Believe it or not is up to you. But I am very happy with my zx2, and none the less was very interested in these newer DAPS including X7 as well, and so far none is going to dethrone zx2 yet.

Also, listening to zx2 now, with TRRS (grant connection) and th900 upgraded detachable silver cables. Wonderful combo

zx2 used can be found for around $700 ? Good investment I think.

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #2,150 of 16,326
one nice option when choosing the X7 is that Fiio will be upgrading the firmware to make it a better player and they also have the advantage of updating the hardware of the amp module...   can't wait to see what they come up with for the balanced amp....

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #2,151 of 16,326
Neutral and plain are very common to these with operational DAC chip and amplification chip. Even ak240 did not have the tonal density as the Sony zx2
biggrin.gif
. It is good that Sony is back into the game.

Mean while you can see this short clip about Zx2. Sony stated that it is the only company in the world with sound technology of this caliber. Believe it or not is up to you. But I am very happy with my zx2, and none the less was very interested in these newer DAPS including X7 as well, and so far none is going to dethrone zx2 yet.

Also, listening to zx2 now, with TRRS (grant connection) and th900 upgraded detachable silver cables. Wonderful combo

zx2 used can be found for around $700 ? Good investment I think.

I don't know what the Onkyo sounds like, but I'm taking a chance with them because they have 2 microSD slots, a nice large screen, DAC/amp specs rivaling other DAPs and the not so crazy expensive price. I've demoed the Sony while it sounds good, everything else was underwhelming, and at $1000+ I expected more. Also, I don't want to buy used electronics, especially electronics that don't have a replaceable battery.

Dec 16, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #2,152 of 16,326

I don't know what the Onkyo sounds like, but I'm taking a chance with them because they have 2 microSD slots, a nice large screen, DAC/amp specs rivaling other DAPs and the not so crazy expensive price.

My thoughts too one reason for choosing Onkyo, that plus native USB OTG

Dec 16, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #2,153 of 16,326
Finally!!i have find the way to create a playlist!!!!!!!!! its so not user-friendly, but still better than no playlist..
1. Tap the icon on the right of the song u want to add into a playlist
2. For the first song of a new playlist u are creating,Tap "Replace up next"
3. Second song onward, tap" Add to up next"
4. When u are done choosing songs,tap the disc icon on the top, then tap the left top icon and u will see the songs u have chosen
5. Tap "save as playlist", come up with a title then it's done!

If you wanna create a second playlist, You need to choose "Replace up next" for the first song~

Dec 16, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #2,154 of 16,326
  Onkyo and Philips collaborated on creating 4 headphones designed to run balanced from the Onkyo DP-X1. Philips make some of my favorite headphones/iems, so I really look forward to these collaboration headphones shown below:

E900M Hybrid iem: 3 way crossover, 1 treble BA + 1 Mids BA + 6mm Dynamic Driver. Aluminium enclosure, MMCX detachable cable, balanced ready.

Open back A800, and Closed back H900M, both 50mm Dynamic Drivers with Aluminium enclosures. Also a portable closed back, H500M with 40mm drivers and aluminium enclosure.

Has there been any news on the release of these headphones, especially the IEM's?

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #2,156 of 16,326
I've cancelled my preorder, price is good, but too many good daps these days, Cowon S and ibasso dx200 to mention 2 id go for when released

DX200 is not coming out anytime soon, dont put your hope into it.

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #2,158 of 16,326
Dec 16, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #2,159 of 16,326
Sony Zx200 or ZX3 may be coming out in the year 2016 CES ? Hehehe

ZX3 will be priced way above that. Normally, there should be news around it as was with ZX2 but there are still none right now

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #2,160 of 16,326
  I need some feedback on following observations please, it seems very strange to me:

I tested the Pioneer XDP-100R this week, and, although the sound seemed to be better than my iPhone 6, it was clearly less loud. Low volume output was what put me off Sony ZX-2, and reading the specs of Onkyo DP-X1 / Pioneer XDP-100R (both have the same for SE output, will call them in this post Pion-kyo!) it seemed clear to me that these must be much louder than ZX-2 and iPhone 6:

from http://www.anandtech.com/show/8554/the-iphone-6-review/11
iPhone 6 output:

ZX-2 output: 15mW + 15mW at 16 Ohm
Pion-kyo: 75mW + 75mW at 32 Ohm

According to above specs, I would expect volume output ZX-2 << iPhone << Pionkyo

However, I experienced ZX-2 << Pionkyo < iPhone. To my surprise, I found today this post from a UK user:
http://www.whathifi.com/comment/940040#comment-940040
This user also complained that his Pioneer has a lower volume than his iPhone!

Another (UK-based) source is the review from avforums, they even say that XDP-100R has less volume than ZX-2...
https://www.avforums.com/review/pioneer-xdp-100r-portable-audio-player-review.12131

To round it all up, I also can report from an online chat with the guy from Ohm-Image, based in Singapore: He confirmed that Pioneer and Onkyo had same output volume (in SE), and that they were clearly louder than his iPhone! That is exactly what I would expect when looking at the specs of the devices.

So how to solve this riddle? I suspect the UK Pioneer devices have an EU imposed volume limit! It will be difficult to test as naturally no one in Asia will buy / test a European version of the Pioneer. I will get my DP-X1 in the next days from Japan, and then hope that really that one is louder. If someone in the meantime has any ideas to find out about volume limit it would be nice to know really..

PS: swap a letter on Pionkyo and you get the little wooden figure that gets a long nose when lying, really hope this double release will not be a Pinokyo story :) are the specs incorrect, i.e. don't reflect what is actually available in EU versions?

PS II: I did check the settings of the Pioneer while testing, there is a volume limit setting that was not on, and the gain was set to high already. And there was a warning message about high volume risk when I turned the volume higher. So it seems that EU regulations about warnings have been implemented in the unit I tested. Is it possible that in addition to the software changes (warnings) there was an impact on maximum output volume..?

Both the players have 3 gain settings; best to check which it is on before making any comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back