ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 15, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #2,131 of 16,326
Confirmed! BSJ has shipped my DP-X1 and it's on its way to Murica.

Since I neglected to buy a screen protector and I haven't found a site that sells one, can anyone tell me the dimensions of the screen? Either mm or inches is fine.

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #2,132 of 16,326

Since I neglected to buy a screen protector and I haven't found a site that sells one, can anyone tell me the dimensions of the screen? Either mm or inches is fine.

Isn't everything out of stock now?

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #2,134 of 16,326

alternatively, you can PM Dopaminer 
wink_face.gif

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #2,136 of 16,326

Is that where you ordered from? BSJ? I assume just google that?

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #2,139 of 16,326
I need some feedback on following observations please, it seems very strange to me:

I tested the Pioneer XDP-100R this week, and, although the sound seemed to be better than my iPhone 6, it was clearly less loud. Low volume output was what put me off Sony ZX-2, and reading the specs of Onkyo DP-X1 / Pioneer XDP-100R (both have the same for SE output, will call them in this post Pion-kyo!) it seemed clear to me that these must be much louder than ZX-2 and iPhone 6:

from http://www.anandtech.com/show/8554/the-iphone-6-review/11
iPhone 6 output:

ZX-2 output: 15mW + 15mW at 16 Ohm
Pion-kyo: 75mW + 75mW at 32 Ohm

According to above specs, I would expect volume output ZX-2 << iPhone << Pionkyo

However, I experienced ZX-2 << Pionkyo < iPhone. To my surprise, I found today this post from a UK user:
http://www.whathifi.com/comment/940040#comment-940040
This user also complained that his Pioneer has a lower volume than his iPhone!

Another (UK-based) source is the review from avforums, they even say that XDP-100R has less volume than ZX-2...
https://www.avforums.com/review/pioneer-xdp-100r-portable-audio-player-review.12131

To round it all up, I also can report from an online chat with the guy from Ohm-Image, based in Singapore: He confirmed that Pioneer and Onkyo had same output volume (in SE), and that they were clearly louder than his iPhone! That is exactly what I would expect when looking at the specs of the devices.

So how to solve this riddle? I suspect the UK Pioneer devices have an EU imposed volume limit! It will be difficult to test as naturally no one in Asia will buy / test a European version of the Pioneer. I will get my DP-X1 in the next days from Japan, and then hope that really that one is louder. If someone in the meantime has any ideas to find out about volume limit it would be nice to know really..

PS: swap a letter on Pionkyo and you get the little wooden figure that gets a long nose when lying, really hope this double release will not be a Pinokyo story :) are the specs incorrect, i.e. don't reflect what is actually available in EU versions?

PS II: I did check the settings of the Pioneer while testing, there is a volume limit setting that was not on, and the gain was set to high already. And there was a warning message about high volume risk when I turned the volume higher. So it seems that EU regulations about warnings have been implemented in the unit I tested. Is it possible that in addition to the software changes (warnings) there was an impact on maximum output volume..?

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #2,140 of 16,326
I need some feedback on following observations please, it seems very strange to me:

I tested the Pioneer XDP-100R this week, and, although the sound seemed to be better than my iPhone 6, it was clearly less loud. Low volume output was what put me off Sony ZX-2, and reading the specs of Onkyo DP-X1 / Pioneer XDP-100R (both have the same for SE output, will call them in this post Pion-kyo!) it seemed clear to me that these must be much louder than ZX-2 and iPhone 6:

from http://www.anandtech.com/show/8554/the-iphone-6-review/11
iPhone 6 output:

ZX-2 output: 15mW + 15mW at 16 Ohm
Pion-kyo: 75mW + 75mW at 32 Ohm

According to above specs, I would expect volume output ZX-2 << iPhone << Pionkyo

However, I experienced ZX-2 << Pionkyo < iPhone. To my surprise, I found today this post from a UK user:
http://www.whathifi.com/comment/940040#comment-940040
This user also complained that his Pioneer has a lower volume than his iPhone!

Another (UK-based) source is the review from avforums, they even say that XDP-100R has less volume than ZX-2...
https://www.avforums.com/review/pioneer-xdp-100r-portable-audio-player-review.12131

To round it all up, I also can report from an online chat with the guy from Ohm-Image, based in Singapore: He confirmed that Pioneer and Onkyo had same output volume (in SE), and that they were clearly louder than his iPhone! That is exactly what I would expect when looking at the specs of the devices.

So how to solve this riddle? I suspect the UK Pioneer devices have an EU imposed volume limit! It will be difficult to test as naturally no one in Asia will buy / test a European version of the Pioneer. I will get my DP-X1 in the next days from Japan, and then hope that really that one is louder. If someone in the meantime has any ideas to find out about volume limit it would be nice to know really..

PS: swap a letter on Pionkyo and you get the little wooden figure that gets a long nose when lying, really hope this double release will not be a Pinokyo story :) are the specs incorrect, i.e. don't reflect what is actually available in EU versions?

PS II: I did check the settings of the Pioneer while testing, there is a volume limit setting that was not on, and the gain was set to high already. And there was a warning message about high volume risk when I turned the volume higher. So it seems that EU regulations about warnings have been implemented in the unit I tested. Is it possible that in addition to the software changes (warnings) there was an impact on maximum output volume..?

i would call them oneer:D

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #2,141 of 16,326
  I received my DP-X1 last Friday....

Since IMHO the stock Onkyo player UI feature is rather poor, no File Explorer, no automatic playlist (recent, most, etc.) I tried to get compatible 3rd party players for Android, but so far no luck. All exhibit a kind of distortion that noticeable on some soft passages of music. Especially noticeable using my test track to test bass response:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2Mi2rrmALKFaXB0cjBCc0FqVXc

This is the comparison, recorded output of that track, using UAPP and Onkyo stock player:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2Mi2rrmALKFdzAxVGpscHhWc1U&usp=sharing

I tried UAPP, PowerAmp, and Google Music, all exhibit similar distortion on that track. Only Onkyo stock player sounds clean for that track.

Any advice for good 3rd party player for DP-X1?  If possible those which can do variable sampling rate, and doesn't resample the audio files.

Thanks!

Please give GoneMad Music Player a try! See my post from a few pages back below:

Anyone able to give GoneMad Music Player a try? If it plays nicely with the dual Sabre dacs and Onkyo's volume levels, it may be an ideal alternative for users who aren't satisfied with the Onkyo player's media management capabilities. GoneMad has the best media management I can find on Android. It actually lets you browse by "Album Artist", has a nice UI and is very customizable.

Here are instructions I made to enable GMMP to use CyanogenMod's AudioFX (MaxxAudio) DSP (rather than GMMP's own DSP or the Android stock DSP). Possibly the settings (one way or the other) will have an effect on the DP-X1 as well.

1. Go to Settings > Audio > Equalizer.
2. Make sure that "Use GMMP EQ" and "Use External DSP" are both ticked. (Note that not ticking "Use GMMP EQ", will force GMMP to use the stock Android DSP instead of AudioFX. You must instead disable the GoneMad EQ separately as described below) 
3. Exit settings and go back to the main app front end.
4. Click the three horizontal lines icon in the left corner of the app
5. Go to "Effects" and disable "Equalizer".
6. Finally, open up AudioFX and make sure it's enabled. You should be ready to rock n roll now.

Dec 16, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #2,142 of 16,326
Just had a brief opportunity to A/B my DP-X1 with the FiiO X7. They both run Tidal, so I was able to listen to the same tracks on both DAPs, with my two main IEMs.
The FiiO sounds good. I'd say it's natural character is a shallow V EQ. So it would probably work better for some types of music than others. The bass was absolutely fantastic. Not dominant, but incredibly powerful and distinct. The Onkyo's bass is slightly less powerful and defined (but still very good).

Was it "better" than the Onkyo? Not to my ears. I wouldn't swap my DP-X1 for it. The soundstage was roughly the same but certainly no more impressive. And I'm enjoying the Onkyo SQ.

The UIs are presented differently but I didn't delve into the FiiO enough to know if it's materially better (I appreciate that a lot of people have strong needs in terms of how music files are managed, for example).

However, if I was in the market for a mid-priced DAP that runs the Tidal etc, then I would definitely want to spend more time with both before deciding. Of course, the FiiO only has single-ended output, so the balanced option on the Onkyo would probably swing it for me.

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #2,143 of 16,326
Just had a brief opportunity to A/B my DP-X1 with the FiiO X7. They both run Tidal, so I was able to listen to the same tracks on both DAPs, with my two main IEMs.
The FiiO sounds good. I'd say it's natural character is a shallow V EQ. So it would probably work better for some types of music than others. The bass was absolutely fantastic. Not dominant, but incredibly powerful and distinct. The Onkyo's bass is slightly less powerful and defined (but still very good).

Was it "better" than the Onkyo? Not to my ears. I wouldn't swap my DP-X1 for it. The soundstage was roughly the same but certainly no more impressive. And I'm enjoying the Onkyo SQ.

The UIs are presented differently but I didn't delve into the FiiO enough to know if it's materially better (I appreciate that a lot of people have strong needs in terms of how music files are managed, for example).

However, if I was in the market for a mid-priced DAP that runs the Tidal etc, then I would definitely want to spend more time with both before deciding. Of course, the FiiO only has single-ended output, so the balanced option on the Onkyo would probably swing it for me.

If SQ is not much different, Onkyo is a winner for cheaper price, specs, balanced output and 2 SD card slots. The only concern for Onkyo is third party app compatible with its DACs part, unlike the X7.

Dec 16, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #2,144 of 16,326

Is the Micro USB cable some sort of OTG cable where by we would not need an OTG adapter? If yes, how much and where can we get it from? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back