ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jul 19, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #14,731 of 16,326
Thanks for the tip.
But, to be honest, if I have to eject an SD card to get it to work, I might as well just mount that card on the PC ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm just trying avoid ejecting the cards too much, as the SD slots on the X1 seems a like they might wear out easily.

Yeah, that's why I installed, and use the ES File Explorer Pro app on the DP-X1, to transfer files via WiFi from the PC.

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #14,733 of 16,326

Hi guys I try to charging my unit and the screen is blinking like this, what does it mean for that
I still cannot turn it on, try to use recovery mode (power and the button next to it?) but still not working
What can I do with this ?
Hello
I also have the same problem I explain my player worked very well until one day turn it off and never again turned on only shows the image of charge of the battery.
The power + track prev button (falstboot mode) does not work.
I have really tried everything without positive results.
Sin título.jpg
Sin título 2.jpg

20170720_230629_2.jpg

20170720_230709_2.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #14,734 of 16,326
Need help

My DP X1 is Japanese20170722_191050.jpg model and is having the issue with 3.5mm connector. As such I have done this fix as per photo here where it would not further deteriorate situation and 3.5mm to 3.5mm L shape connector is always attached to the DAP and HP are connected to the end of L shape adapter only.

I got this unit slightly used and from the day one I can play music without HP attached and Music does not pause when I take the HP out of 3.5mm. I read in other places that the music would stop/pause when HP jack is removed. Is this a defect? Also "output select" is in balanced though I am using single ended 3.5mm. Is that normal?

So with the above observation I am wondering if the DAP detect that a 3.5mm HP is connected even if it is not? I am asking this because even when I remove the HP the DAP continue to play the song and it does not pause. If that is the case is there a danger in me connecting a HP via 2.5mm balanced port? As per manual one one of 3.5mm/ 2.5mm be connected simultaneously

Jul 23, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #14,737 of 16,326
anyone "upgraded" from the dp-x1 to dp-x1a?
I did but from Pioneer XDP-300R to DP-X1A.
To me X1A sounds a bit more neutral in comparison and has better bass delivery thanks to capacitors I believe. In general, they are very close. And both can not properly drive the ATH-E70, 150 mW in balanced mode is not enough for them. So I switched to a single driver BA due to that fact.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #14,738 of 16,326
I did but from Pioneer XDP-300R to DP-X1A.
To me X1A sounds a bit more neutral in comparison and has better bass delivery thanks to capacitors I believe. In general, they are very close. And both can not properly drive the ATH-E70, 150 mW in balanced mode is not enough for them. So I switched to a single driver BA due to that fact.
You must like it loud. 150mW "per channel" for your ath e70 seems like enough according to their ratings. Its 75mW x2 for SE and 150mW x2 for Balanced. In most cases this is enough especially for IEMs.

Jul 23, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #14,739 of 16,326
You must like it loud. 150mW "per channel" for your ath e70 seems like enough according to their ratings. Its 75mW x2 for SE and 150mW x2 for Balanced. In most cases this is enough especially for IEMs.
This is not about loudness.
Don't look at their rating/spec, just connect a portable amp to Onkyo, give the E70 400 mW, at least, and you will understand what I'm talking about.
Bass tightness, quality and speed and overall insane details level – this is what you get out of the e70 with proper amplification and this is what you miss connecting them directly to dp-x1a balanced output.
Here is a matter of choosing the right pair of IEM for this DAP. The E70s are not (in case you want to get maximum out of them)

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #14,740 of 16,326
This is not about loudness.
Don't look at their rating/spec, just connect a portable amp to Onkyo, give the E70 400 mW, at least, and you will understand what I'm talking about.
Bass tightness, quality and speed and overall insane details level – this is what you get out of the e70 with proper amplification and this is what you miss connecting them directly to dp-x1a balanced output.
Here is a matter of choosing the right pair of IEM for this DAP. The E70s are not (in case you want to get maximum out of them)
I see what you're saying. Thats one great quality of the iDSD, it has plenty of power and sounds great. I use my RSM quad BA with the Onkyo and it works great but my PM3 do benefit from added power.

Have you ever tried the iDSD? Works perfect with this and makes anything sound great, its one thing i wish i had not sold, I may buy another one.

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #14,741 of 16,326
I see what you're saying. Thats one great quality of the iDSD, it has plenty of power and sounds great. I use my RSM quad BA with the Onkyo and it works great but my PM3 do benefit from added power.

Have you ever tried the iDSD?
No, I have not heard. It does not feature a balanced output. Actually, just a few portable amps on the market have 2.5 mm output. I know two: iBasso PB3 ($200) and mass-kobo 404 ($2000).

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #14,742 of 16,326
I have a question for those of you who are using a portable amp with your DP-X1. Which output method are you using - the 3.5mm jack set at line level, or USB via a OTG cable?

Pros and cons of either method?
I'm assuming the line level output still uses the DP-X1's dual DACs, while the USB method will use whatever DAC the amp has.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #14,743 of 16,326
I have a question for those of you who are using a portable amp with your DP-X1. Which output method are you using - the 3.5mm jack set at line level, or USB via a OTG cable?

Pros and cons of either method?
I'm assuming the line level output still uses the DP-X1's dual DACs, while the USB method will use whatever DAC the amp has.

I use mine periodically with USB out with the UAPP app to my mojo. Most often I find myself using it by itself for portable use or causally around the house as I quite enjoy the sound of it with my 64 audio U12s. I've actually never tried the line out. Your question has got me thinking I may try it line out with my CDM.

Jul 23, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #14,744 of 16,326
Which output method are you using - the 3.5mm jack set at line level, or USB via a OTG cable?
when you connect onkyo to an external DAC/Amp via usb audio your DAP is just a digital transport- trasnfers data.
If it is line-out via 3.5 mm or even 2.5 mm then you have one/two DAP DACs in operation and you just amplify the sound of onkyo.
Basically these are two different ways of using the DAP and you can not compare them.
I don’t use my DAP as a transport anymore since it occupies a micro usb port of my Vantam which is also used for battery charging, I use ipod touch instead.

Jul 24, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #14,745 of 16,326
Personally I wish this was smaller in form factor to make it more pocketable and optical as the means to do dac out, I'm just not a big fan of USB audio out because of the power draw of some dac amps out there. I wouldn't be using it much that way, mainly just a device to use to test gear at meets if possible. Other than that, it checks off many of the boxes I want from the 240 which I was gonna upgrade my 100ii to.

This is definitely catching my attention.

So both DP-X1 and XDP-100R supporting external DACs such as Chord Mojo and Meridian Explorer 2 through USB output?

Edit: Sorry this was wrong question it seems they support but I am curious to learn if anyone used with Meridian Explorer 2 which does not have own battery.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back