Onkyo Digital Media Transport ND-S1 alternative to Wadia 170 iTransport
Oct 4, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #32 of 272
Oct 5, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #33 of 272
Today read What Hi-Fi review mentioned about iphone is working with this unit althought not iphone certified.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #34 of 272
I got one. It did not work with my older iPod but it does with my new 160gig classic. It is slim and has a small footprint and looks decent enough but all plastic. The remote does not quite get around all of the iPod GUI too well but I have not spent too much time so far trying to figure it out.

The bottom line is that I am getting a digital output from my iPod going directly into my DAC. I like it.

I will post again when I have worked with it a bit more.

Oct 7, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #35 of 272
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gu Sensei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The remote does not quite get around all of the iPod GUI too well but I have not spent too much time so far trying to figure it out.

Does this mean that you can see the ipod's screen on your TV?

LQQK

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #36 of 272
Gu Sensei, is the output true digital?

Oct 9, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #37 of 272
Video out is composite, should at least be S-Video. But for the audiofan, this is a nice progression, about time. Now if Apple could make a static memory block to their lineup, maybe a 5 tb?

Oct 9, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #38 of 272
I really don't see the point of this, or the Wadia unit, especially if you have an iPod Touch. Clearly, you would already have your iTunes library stored on your computer, and a DAC connected to your system. Why wouldn't you just buy an Airport Express for less than $100 and use your Touch has a great remote?

Oct 10, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #39 of 272
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mogul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really don't see the point of this, or the Wadia unit, especially if you have an iPod Touch. Clearly, you would already have your iTunes library stored on your computer, and a DAC connected to your system. Why wouldn't you just buy an Airport Express for less than $100 and use your Touch has a great remote?

This one has the digital output for audio, but only digital. I settled on this one for coupling iPod to TV and stereo:

Griffin Technology: TuneCenter - Home Media Center for iPod

Got them on ebay for $11 each. (Extras for Christmas gifts).

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #40 of 272
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mogul /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Then you'd have to run your computer. With the DD converter you could run your system from your iPod without using your computer.

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #41 of 272
I am looking forward to some reviews, especially, someone can compare it with wadia.
Everyone love A/Bing in this forum.

Oct 13, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #42 of 272
Hi Mogul,

The point of this and the Wadia is that it enables your iTunes to be transported elsewhere where you may not have access to them. I suspect that most people use these docks as I do - at work hooked up to a good dac/amp/headphone setup. For security reasons, we can not download/upload any external data to our computers, this then is the only way to get reasonable sound in my office. These things do have a place, it just isn't for everyone.

regards,

Giles

Oct 13, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #43 of 272
Gilles, maybe I'm missing something, but I thought the point of buying the Onkyo or the Digital was so that I would be able to completely bypass the DAC in the iPod ?

Granted, for an 8MB Touch this would make little sense, as you may as well have your music on a USB stick, but for a 160GB Classic I find it very attractive. The promise of being able to distance oneself from whatever claims are being made about SQ on current or future iPods is a major selling point for me - am I missing something here ? The reviews I have read on both the Onkyo and Wadia transports have been guarded, saying that its a major improvement over any of the docks the reviewer has heard but still not as a good as a budget CD player in terms of SQ, By budget, I am assuming they mean entry-level kit from CA, Marantz etc, but its still something of a letdown : I guess I wont know until I can audition one for myself.

The other alternative - netbook hooked up to DAC/amp - isnt my preferred option, so I'm hoping that someone here can shed more light on the results we can expect from the Onkyo.

Oct 14, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #44 of 272
Vinnie of RWA hopefully will review the ND-S1. There is some concern that this may not be a true DD unit, but a DA and then AD convertor, which is not that brilliant. Wadia 170 iTransport is a true Digital signal processor but some cheaper units go through a double conversion. We have to wait and see what the Onkyo does. I like the unit and I hope it's a true digital signal extractor.

Oct 14, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #45 of 272
Yep, straight digital (see below in bold).

I just picked up my second unit. One for home and one for the office. I like this arrangement much better than PC to DAC. Plus, it also works as a USB to SPDIF converter (see below in bold).

A sweet little gizmo.
beerchug.gif

I need more time to play with it, but it performs its essential function quite nicely and without hassle.

This is from the Onkyo Website:

Press Release Digital Media Transport ND-S1
2009-08-17
Onkyo unveils its first Digital Media Transport for the iPod

Next generation Onkyo dock delivers Bit-Perfect Audio from iPod players and syncs with iTunes

Onkyo is proud to unveil the ND-S1, an advanced new breed of iPod dock that allows music lovers to tap directly into the digital audio content on their iPods before it is processed by the player's own DAC (digital to analogue converter) and output stage.

Why do that? Simple – it'll sound better. Send the audio digital signal you've extracted to a better DAC (digital to analogue converter) than is present in the iPod and you can enjoy a massive uplift in sound quality, readily apparent with full-resolution file formats such as Apple Lossless and .WAV.

KEY FEATURES

Digital Outputs (Optical/Coaxial)
High-precision Clock Reference to minimise jitter
iPod video playback
iTunes Sync/Unsync switch
Audio Selector (iPod/PC)
Resume Music and Video Playback Function
Shuffle/Repeat (one/all tracks)/Random Playback of Songs/Albums
iPod/iPhone charging function
USB Port
Compatible with iPod touch [1G and 2G], iPod classic, iPod [5G*], iPod nano [1G*, 2G, 3G, and 4G] and iPhone 3G/3Gs [Flight mode]
Works with Onkyo AV Systems equipped with a USB Port and Audio/Video terminals
Single handset control via Onkyo A/V System’s RI (Remote Interactive) protocol
Dedicated remote control also supplied
Compatible with Windows XP/Vista
*Extended mode only.

Designed to partner Onkyo's award-winning range of AV receivers, as well as the company's new DAC-equipped A-5VL amplifier, the dock can also be used as a standalone device walongside any AV receiver/amplifier (equipped with a digital input) or a suitable standalone DAC.

Adding an ND-S1 Digital Media Transport to an AV or (DAC-equipped) hi-fi system effectively turns an iPod into versatile audiophile-grade multimedia server that can be held in the palm of a hand.

For maximum connection flexibility both optical and coaxial digital outputs are provided on the Transport's rear panel. A mini USB output allows connection and synchronisation between an iPod mounted on it and iTunes on a PC (audio from your computer can also be output from the ND-S1's digital audio outputs).
To ensure maximum audio fidelity Onkyo has added a high-precision Clock Reference (accurate to +/- 10ppm) to the Transport. This ensures that sonically harmful jitter levels are kept to an absolute minimum, ensuring truly outstanding, high definition sound quality.

Naturally, the ND-S1 Transport charges all compatible iPods when docked and will also charge/play back from the iPhone 3G/3Gs (in Flight Mode). The video output is of composite quality, perfectly adequate for casual viewing or monitoring.

A comprehensive remote control is supplied which allows most of the usual command functions one would expect (shuffle, repeat, resume etc). The Transport can also be integrated into Onkyo AV and Hi-Fi systems via RI (Remote Interactive), our well known control protocol which allows simple, one-remote control of the entire system.

Measuring just 205 x 175mm square and 35mm deep the transport will prove easy to accommodate in any AV/hi-fi system. The enhancement it'll give to your listening pleasure will most likely mean it won't be removed again any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back