ONKYO DAC 1000 32/192 USB asynchronous
Mar 26, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #76 of 92
Dig up this old thread. Before I decided to invest on HP-A7, I compared these few interesting Japanese USB DACs on this page: http://alturl.com/oruht
Price wise they are all on par. DAC-1000's advantage is more input options, but lacks of amp section and phone jack. What prompt my decision was the fame of Fostex in pro audio and its amp section, though seldom use it. Also DAC1000 weigh more than 3KG, postage from JP would be more than doubled too. Looking forward to your opinion if anyone of you get it.
Another interesting find is the IZO brand, which seems to be Japanese exclusive. Looks very neat and according to a friend in Tokyo they are "damn good". But dare not bite bullet.

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #77 of 92
Another interesting find is the IZO brand, which seems to be Japanese exclusive. Looks very neat and according to a friend in Tokyo they are "damn good". But dare not bite bullet.

Thanks for the pointer to the Izo brand. I'm in Tokyo and will go search for a place that has it. It looks interesting.

Apr 7, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #78 of 92
Do anyone know how this DAC compare to the new Luxman DA-200?

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #79 of 92
Do anyone know how this DAC compare to the new Luxman DA-200?

That has been on my mind for a while actually. I was only after a DAC, so I wasn't sure how much I was paying for the Luxman's amp that comes with it. (since the amp-only version is already 2K).

I haven't read a review from anybody who's done a direct comparison between the two. From what I've heard, it seems the Luxman may be more "musical" compared to the Onkyo's neutrality.

Apr 8, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #80 of 92

Quote:
That has been on my mind for a while actually. I was only after a DAC, so I wasn't sure how much I was paying for the Luxman's amp that comes with it. (since the amp-only version is already 2K).
I haven't read a review from anybody who's done a direct comparison between the two. From what I've heard, it seems the Luxman may be more "musical" compared to the Onkyo's neutrality.

The amp section in the DA200 is good, however is never p1u or p200. The DAC..........I will goto try it out tomorrow in fujiya avic  lol

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #81 of 92
Quote:

Really hard not to judge by PCM1795.

Connectivity options are pretty impressive, too many audiophile DAC builders skip on this and hide behind "purity" concepts.

Hi, I am looking at the Onkyo P-3000R preamp, available online in the U.S., and which is said to include "the guts" of this DAC, so I wonder if anyone else has any impressions of this DAC or the preamp?  Also, from gevorg's post above, I can't tell if he is implying the PCM1795 is a good DAC chip or not?

The P-3000R sure adds some nice features as a full DAC/Preamp/Headphone amp.  The user manual is available online and shows a schematic indicating it has 3 separate amps: one for each of the two preamp outs, and one for the headphones.  Unfortunately, they only show the output specs for the preamp, not the headphones.

Rated RCA Output Level and Impedance    1 V/330 ohms (Pre out)
Maximum RCA Output Level and Impedance    5.0 V/330 ohms (Pre out)

Sep 30, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #84 of 92
  Bump.   I'm interested in the Onkyo p-3000r as well. Anybody using it?  If so, what do you think?

Hello to everyone!
beerchug.gif

I have the complete set from Onkyo P-3000R & M-5000R.
If you want to hear "music" this is your gear!

It's very refined, with a lot of punch and rhythm.
May be you don’t believe this, but this amplifier could “drive” without any problems my B&W 802 S3 Matrix speakers.
This is due to stabilized power supply and current, with 150 Amperes rating!

In a few words this set characterized from a clean smoothly detailed sound.
Each instrument is displayed in a balanced and harmonious manner – very delight to listen to.
Tonal balance and details are very impressive!

I am very satisfied from the audible results.
wink_face.gif

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #85 of 92

The set is already replaced now by two Marantz SM-11 S1 power amplifiers in a bridged mono mode, accompanying by Marantz SC-11 S1 preamplifier.
There are slight  differences between the two sets.

First of all the tremendous power of the two bridged amps is the biggest difference.
Quite logical…
biggrin.gif

Marantz SM-11 S1 & SC-11 S1 reference series, sounding more refined than the Onkyo set, but with slight differences.
In my opinion it’s not a worthy change, for someone who is looking for a perfect sounding system, unless he is interested initiated in absolute Hi-End...
L3000.gif

Jan 29, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #87 of 92

Hi Muppet, I'm willing to buy the DAC ONKYO DAC-1000 because it is very cheap this days (as of January 29, 2016) for about $us 400.- on EBay/Amazon from Japan. I really don't wan't DSD high resolution files from new DACS like Teac UD-301 or UD-501. But I would like to know if you had problems with installation of drivers. I need to work with Windows Computer and need to know if the drivers are in english or only in japanese. I know you downloaded drivers for your mac computer. Also, can you compare the sound with TEAC's UD-301 or even UD-501, since all of these are Dual Monoaural with BurrBrown 1795 dual dacs?. Also, Has it the 2x, 4x, none, upsampling feature? Thanks.

Jan 29, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #88 of 92
  I can't say for certain that the DA11 and the DAC-1000 sound alike, just that from the limited time I spent with the DA11 I feel the DAC-1000 performs at a similar level. The big qualifier is that I have a difficult time telling the difference between a lot of higher priced DACs. In my experience, you're going to see the most variance between say $500 DACs and $1000+ DACs. Once you start comparing a $1000 DAC to a $1300 or $1400 DAC though, I feel it's more a matter of personal taste rather than one such DAC being clearly better than another. Hopefully I'm making sense.

By colored, I mean that the Red Wine Audio Isabellina DAC has a slightly more warm and euphonic sound that one might expect from the presence of tubes (it's a tube hybrid). It's not as warm as the Havana DAC, but it still goes for a more "analog" type of sound. Some people may like that, but for me personally, I want my source to be as close to neutral as possible. If I want to add coloration into the chain, then I'll do it with an amp or headphones.

The DAC-1000 seems to strive for an accurate, neutral presentation in my experience so far. I'm still getting to know it at this point, but I feel like it's doing a good job so far of "getting out of the way" so to speak. Nothing sounds out-of-place or noticeably colored.

By the way, I've been using it with USB mainly at this point. I haven't noticed any jitter issues or similar problems, but my ears aren't trained to seek out jitter. I would like to audition the Audiophilleo1 at some point to see how much it would improve, if any.

The interface is also extremely easy to use and while the instructions are in Japanese only, the menu on the unit itself is all English.

I can't say for certain that the DA11 and the DAC-1000 sound alike, just that from the limited time I spent with the DA11 I feel the DAC-1000 performs at a similar level. The big qualifier is that I have a difficult time telling the difference between a lot of higher priced DACs. In my experience, you're going to see the most variance between say $500 DACs and $1000+ DACs. Once you start comparing a $1000 DAC to a $1300 or $1400 DAC though, I feel it's more a matter of personal taste rather than one such DAC being clearly better than another. Hopefully I'm making sense.

By colored, I mean that the Red Wine Audio Isabellina DAC has a slightly more warm and euphonic sound that one might expect from the presence of tubes (it's a tube hybrid). It's not as warm as the Havana DAC, but it still goes for a more "analog" type of sound. Some people may like that, but for me personally, I want my source to be as close to neutral as possible. If I want to add coloration into the chain, then I'll do it with an amp or headphones.

The DAC-1000 seems to strive for an accurate, neutral presentation in my experience so far. I'm still getting to know it at this point, but I feel like it's doing a good job so far of "getting out of the way" so to speak. Nothing sounds out-of-place or noticeably colored.

By the way, I've been using it with USB mainly at this point. I haven't noticed any jitter issues or similar problems, but my ears aren't trained to seek out jitter. I would like to audition the Audiophilleo1 at some point to see how much it would improve, if any.

The interface is also extremely easy to use and while the instructions are in Japanese only, the menu on the unit itself is all English.

Hi Muppet, I'm willing to buy the DAC ONKYO DAC-1000 because it is very cheap this days (as of January 29, 2016) for about $us 400.- on EBay/Amazon from Japan. I really don't wan't DSD high resolution files from new DACS like Teac UD-301 or UD-501. But I would like to know if you had problems with installation of drivers. I need to work with Windows Computer and need to know if the drivers are in english or only in japanese. I know you downloaded drivers for your mac computer. Also, can you compare the sound with TEAC's UD-301 or even UD-501, since all of these are Dual Monoaural with BurrBrown 1795 dual dacs?. Also, Has it the 2x, 4x, none, upsampling feature? Thanks.

Feb 18, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #89 of 92
I'm also interested in Onkyo DAC-1000. Looking at the Onkyo japan product page the driver isn't guaranteed to work with Mac OS X 10.10 or higher.
And comments on japan amazon confirm that it's not possible install the drivers on new Macs, but they were able to use the optical or usb up to 96 kHz without issues (that's what google translator told me, but I'm not 100% sure).

Are there owners of the DAC that use it on Mac? Do you have any issues?

Feb 28, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #90 of 92
I think the driver is the same as ONKYO P-3000R Preamplifier. You can check on the "British" or "Europe Other Countries" Onkyo Site at: http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/products/p-3000r-35301.html. You can download the driver from the japanese site and from one of these and compare the versions. If you check the back of both components I think the DAC stages are the same (Onkyo DAC-1000 and P-3000R) but I'm not completely sure. I you buy the DAC please inform me how it is and how it sounds, thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back