One year on, and trose49 still owes me close to $2k
Aug 22, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #91 of 108
What happened with the guitar he bought for you on Ebay, Josh?

Aug 22, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #92 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, I have a mint '85 Stratocastor that needs a good loving home.

Quote:

eek.gif

Aug 22, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #93 of 108
No, no. Two different stories. Don't get them confused.
The first one was a serious offer because he said he had to sell his Telecastor to raise funds after the transaction went bad.

The second one is because trose says in didn't involve a Zune and associated equipment at all. It was for a guitar that Todd bought for Josh on Ebay to send to Australia.

Aug 22, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #94 of 108
Quote:

No, no. Two different stories. Don't get them confused.
The first one was a serious offer because he said he had to sell his Telecastor to raise funds after the transaction went bad.

The second one is because trose says in didn't involve a Zune and associated equipment at all. It was for a guitar that Todd bought for Josh on Ebay to send to Australia.

I understand that, I just mean that I now understand the relevance of your asking:

Quote:

Are there other components to this transaction?

Well done!

And with that, I will appropriately relegate my behavior to that of the outside observer I am.
popcorn.gif

Aug 22, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #95 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by s_nyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And that "extremely poor guy" still has a 4.7l Grand Cherokee (granted, a 2000 one, but still...)

2000 Grand Cherokee Tranny Slip HELP! - Jeep Cherokee Forum

I wonder if he takes the risk to scam people on handguns' websites too. Maybe we should warn them...

This is a great idea - the guy is a member of several online communities, and why should this be the only one who knows he's a scumbag? Filth like him assume that they can retain their anonymity on the 'net by hiding behind a username, but when they use the same username in a bunch of different communities, we have more tools to make them suffer for their crimes.

Aug 22, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #96 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by ABathingApe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I quite like this idea. There should be some sort of negative status. Or like on D2JSP having a warning system, that tallies warn from mods eventually to a full ban.

I really feel for you OP. I just took the time to review the original thread, where he of course exposes himself as a piece of @#$*. And I can't believe someone like that has been kept around this long.

It sounds good on the surface, but think it through.

What would it take to prove to the admins/mods that a transaction went south? Could anyone send a PM and get someone put into this status? What if someone registered a sock puppet just to get back at someone over another disagreement? Would a mod have to research every claim made? How much time do you think that would take? What if it took a few weeks and others got ripped off during the investigation?

Also, do you know how much time it takes to administer the board? If you get a chance to talk to one of the mods or admins, ask how much time they spend cleaning up threads and other mostly unseen tasks. Further, many of them have jobs and lives - should they devote more hours to policing and administering the For Sale Forums and transactions? They're volunteers.

Another consideration is liability. If Head-Fi becomes responsible for policing the sales, that is an exposure to liability. If someone gets ripped off for a good amount of money and find out that the scammer was under an incomplete investigation, that would expose them to liability for negligence. The cost of the goods aside, litigation can eat a lot of money.

The only way I could see this work is if Head-Fi added a lot more mods and started charging fees for transactions. Insurance and/or bonding would also be a good idea, and those costs are not insignificant. Contributions and/or dues would probably become necessary to cover costs.

Is this what you want?

If you want to trade safely, always use PayPal with a credit card. That gives you a couple layers of protection if things go bad. Yes, there are costs, but they're justifiable. If you sell something, always send it tracked and insured. That's also protection. If all else fails, litigation is an option. Everyone chickens out over that (there are some notable instances where people won't step up to the plate - you know who you are) but it can be effective.

I don't want to see Head-Fi embroiled in petty disputes when there are other ways to protect yourself.

Aug 22, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #97 of 108
Quote:

Huh? The guitar was the first exchange i did with Todd. This was May '07
How I first transacted with him was by "selling" him a one-off Darth Beyer (snakewood i think), and for payment he helped me get a Larrivee acoustic from the US.
I got the Darths, didn't quite suit my tastes and offered to sell it to Todd instead of putting it on the FS forums because he wanted them desperately.. he was quite vocal about wanting them before they went on sale on the specials page
We were squared on that deal which was around $1k mark (less maybe, $800? it was a long time ago), but the money that he owes me is from a different time, at the end of '07

Here's the second half of that paypal transaction..
Sheesh Todd, your lies are way too easy to disprove, plus if you read through the old thread he admitted to owing me money.. Now why would he owe me money if he already bought me a guitar on ebay?
Picture1-1.png

And from there you can see why i gave him benefit of the doubt for so long, he actually cancelled the payment from the other paypal account.

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #99 of 108
Aug 27, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #100 of 108
OP, is it possible for you to post here a concise, bulleted timeline of events that comprise the transaction(s) that is(are) the subject of this thread? I am not entirely clear what happened here--even after reading the post you linked to in your OP in this thread. And I am now even more confused given the communication you posted above. Some clarification would be appreciated and would probably help your case.

Sep 6, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #101 of 108
I feel for you mate.
Such a pity that he lives in the USA instead of here.
Countries all over the world need to tighten up the laws,far to much trash inhabiting the planet now.

Sep 27, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #104 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm surprised that it's been a year and you still haven't taken any legal action against him, or have you?

I mean, $2K is a lot of money..

I'm sorry to hear about this man
frown.gif

One chinese actor said:" Only sorry is not enough!"
evil_smiley.gif
He should take legal weapons to fix these jerks.
devil_face.gif

Oct 18, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #105 of 108
If I may...getting jdimitri his money back seems, unfortunately, highly unlikely. And, I completely understand and agree with the point that moderators could not successfully mediate disputes such as this.

But, the answer seems (relatively) simple to me going forward. Besides just having a buyer/seller feedback forum, it would be best if the folks at head-fi instituted a ratings system like the one that eBay uses. At the end of a transaction, I can put in a favorable/unfavorable ranking, and the additional text information if I choose.

Obviously, this can lead to abuse, but the fact is that eBay has demonstrated that statistically, this system works. While I may try to be a jerk and give someone a bad ranking that they don't deserve, if they have a 99.999% favorable rating, with, say, 5,000 transactions, most people could pretty safely reason that they're better off avoiding making deals with me, and that I am a jerk, then avoiding making deals with the person to whom I'm being a jerk.

Now, I say that this seems easy, but I don't know how difficult such a system is to implement technologically, and it may be beyond the level of effort that the folks running this site can put into play. But it would help to make it harder for this kind of situation to arise. And, yes, I do realize that I can look at the buyer/seller feedback forum, but even that can be intimidating if someone has hundred or even thousands of feedback entries. A quick rating system would make it hard for people to do an unreasonable percentage of bad deals without everyone else seeing immediately that they're taking their own chances dealing with that person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back