One way Sony EX700's beat Sennheiser IE8!
Feb 8, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #16 of 33
^ in other words.. EX700 are good for background listening..and IE8 are for active listening...asking rhetorically.

Feb 8, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry guys, spent the weekend beach-hopping. Left the IE8's burning with pinknoise wav since Thursday morning. Thanks for the tips and heads-ups regarding using the Sony ear buds on the Senns. I'll have to dig them out and give them a go if the comfy's don't work out.

As far as the above post goes I'll have to agree with you. There's something very soft and warm about the Sonys - a lack of harshness. Perhaps they're not as exciting as the Senns but I walked into Paddo (45mins) on Friday with the Sonys and they were just right for my mood.

If I had to use an analogy I'd say the Sony's are like being in a comfy café (not Starbucks) sitting on a well worn in chesterfield sipping a chocolate-tasting espresso. There's some f-off 1970's wooden speakers suspended from the roof playing new-age dub and you want to stay there for hours, or just curl up and go to sleep.

While the Senns... that's like being at your favorite live band, you're right up close to the stage and you feel like your chest is about to explode with excitement.

Sorry if this sounds corny - but it's the best I can describe it. I love them both. I'll use the Sonys to chill out to when I'm dong other stuff at the same time and for long periods and the Senns when I can give them my undivided.

Hope this helps.

ZT

I thought i would never have to spend that much money on the ex-700 again... guess i might be wrong! Anyone knows where is the best price to get them in Australia?
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by vedye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought i would never have to spend that much money on the ex-700 again... guess i might be wrong! Anyone knows where is the best price to get them in Australia?
biggrin.gif

I got mine from a dealer on ebay.com.au Came from Hong Kong. Pretty cheap if I remember.

Feb 8, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ in other words.. EX700 are good for background listening..and IE8 are for active listening...asking rhetorically.

Spot on! (If you're into cutting long stories short Nocturnal310 - wink)

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by vedye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Vedye, I found these for you to check out if you want to get the 700's in Oz...

$311 SONY MDREX700SL MDREX700SL SUPREME EX MONITOR HPH
$305 HB OUTLET - Online Store

I'm sure mine came in under $300 when I got them. Ordered from some guy in HK - ebay I think (did a search nothing up there now). Was worried they would be fakes (people pay a premium for these actually made in Japan rather than China). But they are the real deal. J cord really annoying and short though. Wonder if you can get them recabled in Australia? Anyone know?

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #22 of 33
"If you are like me and use your iPhone for podcasts or listen to the radio with your headphones I think you'll find the Sonys a lot less fatiguing."
If you're going to be listening to stuff like this, why would you spend so much money on high-end IEMs in the first place.

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"If you are like me and use your iPhone for podcasts or listen to the radio with your headphones I think you'll find the Sonys a lot less fatiguing."
If you're going to be listening to stuff like this, why would you spend so much money on high-end IEMs in the first place.

Because I don't always listen to podcasts. Most of the time I'm listening to high bit-reate AAC or even lossless. When I do I listen to them to catch up with news. I'm not going to swap to apple earbuds everytime. There's nothing wrong with using high-end IMSs with low end stuff. The Sonys are considered very high end and they are very forgiving with everything I throw at it.

That's what I meant.

Feb 9, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #24 of 33
this is the first time that i've heard the ex700 being described as being warm. to me they're very bright and if the recording is sibilant to begin with, these will really give it to you. on podcasts, they tend to be hard sounding but for music they're just right imo. ety like brightness and a low end that makes me smile.

Feb 9, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vedye, I found these for you to check out if you want to get the 700's in Oz...

$311 SONY MDREX700SL MDREX700SL SUPREME EX MONITOR HPH
$305 HB OUTLET - Online Store

I'm sure mine came in under $300 when I got them. Ordered from some guy in HK - ebay I think (did a search nothing up there now). Was worried they would be fakes (people pay a premium for these actually made in Japan rather than China). But they are the real deal. J cord really annoying and short though. Wonder if you can get them recabled in Australia? Anyone know?

Hi ZackT, thank you for these links! I checked them and they dont have any instock. and the strange thing is lots of online shops like them have two ex700s listed, one $3xx, the other $4xx. I can't see why and it makes me worry if i buy the cheaper one :frowning2:

Luckily I happen to have a trip planned to the HK next month. I'll pay a visit to the sony shop there! (should be around AU$3xx too).

Feb 9, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif

X2.

i tried listening to Radio on my IE7 today..and man..half of the stations played that pop music which i cant tolerate.

also..tried listening to 128 kbps tracks..and man...its highly disappointing..such a dull sound.

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #27 of 33
He didn't buy his Ex700 & IE8 for podcast. Just that he also listens to radio & podcast.

Feb 10, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #28 of 33
I've tried my sony ex700 with many different player like IPC, Rio Karma...seems sony is being picky about the source component, When I tried with IPC it's great but when I plug in Karma the sound quality is much less. I think everyone will agree Karma is a better player. but in this case it got a white flag. I've notice sony products always will work better within the same name brand. BTW I bought mine around 250 USD in New York. this sony earphone is very popular in Asia but not so much in US or Europe. Maybe the type of music Asians listening will go little better with the sonys.

Jul 2, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #29 of 33
i wonder how will the ex700 stack up against the ie7 because they both retail at $299

Sep 24, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonicpath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried my sony ex700 with many different player like IPC, Rio Karma...seems sony is being picky about the source component, When I tried with IPC it's great but when I plug in Karma the sound quality is much less. I think everyone will agree Karma is a better player. but in this case it got a white flag. I've notice sony products always will work better within the same name brand. BTW I bought mine around 250 USD in New York. this sony earphone is very popular in Asia but not so much in US or Europe. Maybe the type of music Asians listening will go little better with the sonys.

You are right. My ex700 sounds awesome on sony RH1 MD player. I think it works better on sony player. I come from asia, ex700 is very popular there. I like the bass(the right quantity and good quality) when listening pop music. As for classics, sounds a bit worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back