One way Sony EX700's beat Sennheiser IE8!
Feb 5, 2009 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

ZackT

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, just got the Sennheiser IE8! Best I've ever listened to (coming from UM2). Listened to it for hours on my iPhone and the music was just so engrossing. I love these IEM.

But one thing I've noticed is that in my lunch hour I go to the park and catch up on news podcasts. I've been using the Sony EX700 as my "traveler" phones up to now. They are so forgiving with poor radio-like recordings where the harsh sharp treble is emphasized. The Sonys are the only phones (including the UM2's and IE8's) that I can listen to this kind of quality broadcast on.

If you are like me and use your iPhone for podcasts or listen to the radio with your headphones I think you'll find the Sonys a lot less fatiguing.

For Aussies and Kiwis: Did you know that you can order the Sennheiser IE8 for a lot less that our American and English friends? Free delivery too. One and only time it's better off living in Oz (as far as headphones go. Killed me buying my UM2's) . Sennheiser IE-8 In Ear Headphones :: Audio Junkie - Sennheiser, Etymotic, Ultimate Ears, Klipsch Headphones, Earphones & Headsets

Hey. Can anyone suggest some alternative tips (buds) for my IE8's as I'm finding the fit not as good as my UM2's. They don't feel as secure in my ears and the seal keeps getting broken.

Thanks in advance.

ZT
k701smile.gif

Feb 5, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 33
Downside to anything in hifi audio is it is a double edges sword. Makes good recordings sound better and bad recording sound worse but I would not blame the ie8's for bring out the faults in the recording
wink.gif
. As for tips try the comply t-400 line they work great on the ie8.

Feb 5, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 33
Thanks hockeyb213. Will the comply tips you recommend will fit the IE8's without any adjustments? There are a few out there and I'd hate to order ones with the wrong sized holes. (Shudder).

Hey no criticism at all on the IE8's. The fact that they expose weakly recorded material's flaws only goes to show what a great phone they are in providing a truthful reproduction. I love them.

Will use my Sonys in the park and my Senns after dark!

Feb 6, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 33
Hey ZackT can you tell us about the difference between Ex700 and IE8 please? Since you are one of the few who has both of these dynamic driver pairs. AFAIK only two other members have both of these that have mentioned a bit in their reviews, hope I can see more since i'm still very interested in the EX700 :)

Thank you in advance!

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks hockeyb213. Will the comply tips you recommend will fit the IE8's without any adjustments? There are a few out there and I'd hate to order ones with the wrong sized holes. (Shudder).

Hey no criticism at all on the IE8's. The fact that they expose weakly recorded material's flaws only goes to show what a great phone they are in providing a truthful reproduction. I love them.

Will use my Sonys in the park and my Senns after dark!

t-400 series is rated by comply to fit the ie8 even the t-500 series I had for my triple fi's fits them nice it is a little tight so be careful but nothing will happen. also do not insert them all the way down they are best when you push em until they are 2 mm from the stem of the base may be even 3mm

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by vedye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey ZackT can you tell us about the difference between Ex700 and IE8 please? Since you are one of the few who has both of these dynamic driver pairs. AFAIK only two other members have both of these that have mentioned a bit in their reviews, hope I can see more since i'm still very interested in the EX700 :)

Thank you in advance!

No worries. Look, to be honest I've only just received the IE8's. Listened to them for a few hours last night and tried different tips. So, forgive me if my opinions change. But...

OK. The IE8's are much more detailed and involving then the 700's (that's why I said they wouldn't work for radio). Really stunned by the fun upbeat listenability of these guys.

The EX700's are warmer and gentler if that makes any sense. I guess the treble is rolled off quite a lot.

The Senns sound "bigger" to me. More realistic.

I could listen to the Sonys all day but would probably get bored. There's nothing boring about the IE8's.

Hope that helps. With the limited listening it's the best I can do.

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
t-400 series is rated by comply to fit the ie8 even the t-500 series I had for my triple fi's fits them nice it is a little tight so be careful but nothing will happen. also do not insert them all the way down they are best when you push em until they are 2 mm from the stem of the base may be even 3mm

Thanks for your help. I've ordered a pair from a place here in Aust. $31.85 Ouch!

Sure they're worth it though. Used to love my foamies back in the day (before everyone said they muffled the sound)

ZT

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #9 of 33
Feb 6, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #10 of 33
Yer, Australia gets it way cheaper!
biggrin.gif
Try minidisc though, you an get it free postage + -$1 when you match the price with audiojunkie.com
smily_headphones1.gif

Will. ^^

Feb 6, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordofbahamut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zackt have you tried sony ex700 tip on ur IE8? Ur the one of the only few people who has the whole set of ex700 tips. which tip size do you use for your ex700 ?

X2, I want to know how they sounds compared to the stock IE 8 tips. Please.
smile_phones.gif

Feb 8, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #14 of 33
I have sony MDR-ex700, to me it's perfect, as mentioned some of the High-end ones are too much detailed, sometime make it hard to listen for hours, I can wear sony ex700 listen music and fall in sleep but I've tried with UE and IE earphone, these just knock on you nerve...hard not to pay attention to the details but not the music itself...it's hard for me to explain.. but if you try ex700 on, you will know what I'm talking about. I bought 2 of sony ex700s, just keep one as a backup...that's how much I love the ex700...

Feb 8, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonicpath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have sony MDR-ex700, to me it's perfect, as mentioned some of the High-end ones are too much detailed, sometime make it hard to listen for hours, I can wear sony ex700 listen music and fall in sleep but I've tried with UE and IE earphone, these just knock on you nerve...hard not to pay attention to the details but not the music itself...it's hard for me to explain.. but if you try ex700 on, you will know what I'm talking about. I bought 2 of sony ex700s, just keep one as a backup...that's how much I love the ex700...

Sorry guys, spent the weekend beach-hopping. Left the IE8's burning with pinknoise wav since Thursday morning. Thanks for the tips and heads-ups regarding using the Sony ear buds on the Senns. I'll have to dig them out and give them a go if the comfy's don't work out.

As far as the above post goes I'll have to agree with you. There's something very soft and warm about the Sonys - a lack of harshness. Perhaps they're not as exciting as the Senns but I walked into Paddo (45mins) on Friday with the Sonys and they were just right for my mood.

If I had to use an analogy I'd say the Sony's are like being in a comfy café (not Starbucks) sitting on a well worn in chesterfield sipping a chocolate-tasting espresso. There's some f-off 1970's wooden speakers suspended from the roof playing new-age dub and you want to stay there for hours, or just curl up and go to sleep.

While the Senns... that's like being at your favorite live band, you're right up close to the stage and you feel like your chest is about to explode with excitement.

Sorry if this sounds corny - but it's the best I can describe it. I love them both. I'll use the Sonys to chill out to when I'm dong other stuff at the same time and for long periods and the Senns when I can give them my undivided.

Hope this helps.

ZT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back