One source many amps
Apr 8, 2008 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Faust2D

Headphoneus Supremus
I have an interesting dilemma. I have one good source CDP with DAC and a few amps and my problem is switching without loosing quality, or gaining unwanted coloration, between different amps.

I can just move the RCAs around, but it find this annoying. In my stereo system I have preamp with two outputs, but that turned out to be a suboptimal solution as well. The problem is that preamp works fine with a power amp but with my integrated amp I find that a get a bit of the preamp character in the sound and I don't think it make for such a great match with the integrated amp as a straight connection to the preamp from the DAC.

At the moment, in my speaker system, I got myself a hight quality RCA switch to see how that will work right after DAC. The problem with approach like this is additional interconnects that also influence the sound.
frown.gif

So my question is how do you deal with this issue? I know many people here have lots and lots of amps. Do you just bite the bullet and plug and unplug RCA cables? I am missing an elegant solution?
confused.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 12
How exactly would point to point interconnect switch and extra interconnect influence the sound? My understanding is that if it's not between your amp and your headphones/speakers (a circuit with lots of current and low resistance) then the marginal added resistance will not do anything. 1kOhm + 0.5 Ohm = not much difference to the source, and no audible difference. I think you're expecting to hear things happening that just aren't there. Pretty much every very high end preamp has a source switching system that's pretty much the same thing. Even if it was in the circuit with the speakers I doubt it would be a huge issue as long as the switches were of significant quality.

I think that you should just enjoy your switch and not worry about it
smily_headphones1.gif
If you are still concerned you could get a collection of high quality female-female connectors and use a pair of cable with slightly shorter cable length (to account for the switch/connector resistance) and then your source will be seeing the same load and you can just reconnect the connections in front without having to dig around behind the components.

Just my two cents.

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you are still concerned you could get a collection of high quality female-female connectors and use a pair of cable with slightly shorter cable length (to account for the switch/connector resistance) and then your source will be seeing the same load and you can just reconnect the connections in front without having to dig around behind the components.

Just my two cents.

The female-female connectors sounds like an interesting idea, but will still require my lazy ass to plug and unplug ****
tongue.gif
Thanks for your input.

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RCA splitter.

0060210000_102.jpg

Vampire RCA Splitters @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

I've done this before but I do warn you that if it does not include some sort of added resistance (I highly doubt it) then you've now got a lots less the resistance the source is seeing:

eg. two input stages with 1kOhm each acting in parallel = 1 500 Ohm input stage.

This means that the damping in the circuit will be smaller and should actually affect the response (well maybe not if the input resistance or each of the amps is large enough). This is scary to me and I'd say that the switch is likely a much better call. This is why I don't do this anymore.

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've done this before but I do warn you that if it does not include some sort of added resistance (I highly doubt it) then you've now got a lots less the resistance the source is seeing:

eg. two input stages with 1kOhm each acting in parallel = 1 500 Ohm input stage.

This means that the damping in the circuit will be smaller and should actually effect the response (well maybe not if the input resistance or each of the amps is large enough). This is scary to me and I'd say that the switch is likely a much better call. This is why I don't do this anymore.

Thats why I went for the nice switch, that and the fact that is has 4 outs
cool.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 12
The best solution might be to DIY a selector switch that's to your liking.

You can find high grade switches at Michael Percy Audio and add whatever RCA connectors and internal wire you like. A build is more tedious than difficult.

You might also want to look for a matrix switch. I recently grabbed one on eBay for $9.99. It was used for selecting sources and amps in a stereo store. It has illuminated pushbuttons and lets me choose between 10 sources and 10 amps. I need to find a rackmount case to put it in and add RCA jacks for everything, but it'll let me sort the source and amp collections.

Apr 8, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an interesting dilemma. I have one good source CDP with DAC and a few amps and my problem is switching without loosing quality, or gaining unwanted coloration, between different amps.

I can just move the RCAs around, but it find this annoying. In my stereo system I have preamp with two outputs, but that turned out to be a suboptimal solution as well. The problem is that preamp works fine with a power amp but with my integrated amp I find that a get a bit of the preamp character in the sound and I don't think it make for such a great match with the integrated amp as a straight connection to the preamp from the DAC.

At the moment, in my speaker system, I got myself a hight quality RCA switch to see how that will work right after DAC. The problem with approach like this is additional interconnects that also influence the sound.
frown.gif

So my question is how do you deal with this issue? I know many people here have lots and lots of amps. Do you just bite the bullet and plug and unplug RCA cables? I am missing an elegant solution?
confused.gif

I am currently using Tributaries Y-splitters (M to FF) to drive two amps from a single CDP source. If you need more than two at a time, you might want to look at something like the Manley Skipjack--not cheap, but shouldn't significantly degrade your SQ.

Apr 8, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #12 of 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back