One or more home amps?
Dec 23, 2008 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

orkney

Headphoneus Supremus
Just a quick survey for those of you with multiple home amps for your headphone setups. Why have more than one? Would you able to scale down if absolutely necessary or are amplifier "flavours' as noticeable/desirable/ addictive as their HP counterparts?

best,

o

Dec 23, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 12
I use my RT-6P13P when I want a more reference and analytical sound and I use my Figaro when I want a more fun and tubey sound for rock and such. Its just different flavoring,I could live without one or the other but its nice to have choices.

Dec 23, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 12
I use my dynamic for dynamics and my E-stat for... well, you guessed it
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #5 of 12
I could scale back, but enjoy the different flavors too much. I only have room for two at the moment, so I switch between the Zana and the Si2A3. The 2A3 tubes on transformers give a dreamy, magical sound to vocals. The OTL Zana is punchier and brighter. I've got a DIY OTL (with a very different tube lineup) going online in January, as well as another transformer-coupled 417A amp going together shortly thereafter. I love listening to the different tubes and topologies - it's as much fun as mixing it up with different headphones. If you have the money and space, try out a collection of amps.

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 12
One for office

One for Bedroom

One for family room

One for workshop

And the rest for grins
wink.gif

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #7 of 12
one for home office (main rig)

one for bedroom

one for work office

Dec 23, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #8 of 12
These responses are distinctly encouraging! I'm trying to justify my two on the basis that their combined size is far smaller than the desktop amp they have replaced. We'll see how that goes.

best,

o

Dec 24, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One for office

One for Bedroom

One for family room

One for workshop

And the rest for grins
wink.gif

x2, especially the last comment is so true

Dec 25, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #11 of 12
Different headphones different amplifiers. Especially electrostatic vs. dynamic headphones...
wink.gif

Dec 25, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #12 of 12
For my main rig, it's in a small room so I believe in one amp due to space issues and simplicity. But the amp I use is a versatile quality tube amp that can drive speakers and headphones and K1000 very well and I am very satisfied with the one amp solution as long it's a quality amp.

However, in my bedroom I do enjoy laying down on some occasions and listening to IEMs. So I have an additional smaller headphone amp for this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back