One of the buds on my HJE900s can sound "clogged"?
Nov 30, 2010 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

wyager

Head-Fier
This seems very strange to me... One of the buds on my HJE900s will sometimes develop a "clog".  (I know it is this earbud because when I switched it from the left to right plug the problem persisted in this earbud). When I stick it in my ear, the sound sounds quieter than the other earbud. Normally, I would think that it was just a busted driver or something... but the weird thing is that A)I can fix it by jamming it further into my ear, at which point I hear a "pop" and the sound gets better again B)I think the "clog" is audible even when the headphone is unplugged, and ambient noise sounds quieter too. This leads me to believe that there might be a physical block inside the headphone (I can fix it the same way when unplugged). However, I am reserving the possibility that I might just be imagining this  (I've only ever tried testing to see if it quieted ambient noise one time). However, I am 100% sure that there is an effect on sound from the earbud itself.  Both the filter and the tip appear un-obstructed when visually inspected.

Is this something that I can fix on my own, or do I have to do a warranty exchange?

Thanks!

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 7
This is the same problem I had with mine before one of the drivers just completely went out. If you're still under warranty from the retailer you bought them from, id say try and get an exchange if possible (though if its from J&R I dont think they'll be able to exchange it ATM). If not, sending them to Panasonic is the other option. I just received a package from them today after sending my 900s in to Panasonic for exchange/repair two weeks ago and they sent me a pair HJE300s
angry_face.gif
....Going to call them tomorrow to try and make this right.

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 7
Dang... I'll request an RMA ASAP. I actually got them as a gift, but I'll ask where they bought them. Thanks.

EDIT:
Also, why can't J&R replace them? I'm not sure if that's where they were bought yet, but are they out of stock or something?

EDIT 2:
They are apparently discontinued... OneCall customer service was great, but it looks like I'll have to email panasonic. I'd rather get them replaced than refunded.

EDIT 3:
Panasonic CS was a PITA...  It took me a while to realize the only way I was talking to someone was by pressing zero a bunch of times, and it turns out their call center was closed anyway. I'm cutting it pretty close to the 30 day refund time, so I'll probably give panasonic a call tomorrow to see if I can reach them. Hopefully they'll still repair them, considering it looks like they're gone for good... They are no longer on any panasonic product lists. Kidcharlemagne, given your experience it may be wiser just to get a refund. :frowning2:

@Kidcharlemagne, will you let me know how it goes with panasonic when you call them tomorrow?

Dec 1, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 7
Hey kidcharlemagne, just letting you know that according to panasonic tech support there's a chance service for these phones is no longer available in the US even though they are under warranty. You might have gotten screwed over. 
angry_face.gif

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 7
OK, a little update... I hate posting 3x in a row but this might be important. I've found that the "clog" occurs when enough suction happens on the headphone. I can achieve the same result by sucking on the earpiece. By shorting the left and right leads, I can actually hear the impulses of whatever diaphragm is being pushed or pulled by the suction in the other earbud. In the "problem" earbud, the diaphragm doesn't always pop back into place without me blowing into it (hence the intermittent issue), but on the good earbud it always pops right back in to place (you can hear it do so). Any ideas?

I really have my mind set on NOT needing to send it in...

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 7
Just a  note to say I have this same problem...very disappointed that I can't go out and get this ficxed. I bought these headphones because I wanted something bulletproof that sounded good. I guess I got neither?

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
OK, a little update... I hate posting 3x in a row but this might be important. I've found that the "clog" occurs when enough suction happens on the headphone. I can achieve the same result by sucking on the earpiece. By shorting the left and right leads, I can actually hear the impulses of whatever diaphragm is being pushed or pulled by the suction in the other earbud. In the "problem" earbud, the diaphragm doesn't always pop back into place without me blowing into it (hence the intermittent issue), but on the good earbud it always pops right back in to place (you can hear it do so). Any ideas?

I really have my mind set on NOT needing to send it in...

sounds like the classic grado driver issue, after a while, the diaphragm doesn't pop back into place, the solution was to use a small piece of duct tape and stress the crinkle until it popped back into place, obviously it is at a much smaller scale in this case though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back