ONCE AND FOR ALL...DOES THE HD595 BENIFIT FROM AN AMP
Feb 14, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 595 sounds extremely good with the SP amps. The 595 also does ok with a good portable amp like the PINT. I like the 595 better with tubes but good SS works well. For tubes get something that can handle low impedence headphones like the SP SLAM's or the Extreme.
smily_headphones1.gif

i dont think the Woo3 is a good canidate, it fell on its face with a pair of Grado 325i, lots of distortion when pushed.

Feb 22, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 595 sounds extremely good with the SP amps. The 595 also does ok with a good portable amp like the PINT. I like the 595 better with tubes but good SS works well. For tubes get something that can handle low impedence headphones like the SP SLAM's or the Extreme.
smily_headphones1.gif

1st things 1st - whats an SP/SS amp?

secondly, im really interested in the amps whos primary function is to be used in a portable capacity and also has the capacity to be used with either a computer or a seperates amp/CD player.

Feb 22, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by bunsco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1st things 1st - whats an SP/SS amp?

secondly, im really interested in the amps whos primary function is to be used in a portable capacity and also has the capacity to be used with either a computer or a seperates amp/CD player.

SP = Singlepower .... SS = soid state

The Pint is an excellent portable I bought from a seller MisterX .... and highly recommended.

Feb 26, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #34 of 38
Hi,

I've just been reading this thread as I have just got some Senns HD-595s.

I was looking at some amps and I'm rather confused at which will go well with the headphones. The ones that I was looking at can be viewed here (its a thread I started but I have not got any reviews of people's experiences with the HD595s and the listed amps):

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226962

One reply said that tube amps are good with the HD595s. I do not know much about headphone amps. How long do the tubes last in tube amps? Are they expensive to change?

I would be really grateful if you could sum up the performance of the amps with the HD-595s, so I get an ideal of what would be best for what I can afford, or whether I should just save my money for a rainy day!

Thanks.

Feb 26, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #35 of 38
that reply is mine isn't it...

I use a Darkvoice THA332 - until I tried that I though hd595 would not benefit from amplification. Now I know that a tube amp of such class will provide what hd595 needs. I do not have experience with high end SS amps, but as I mentioned few other users use higher end tube amps than myself with hd595. I have no experience with cheaper tube amps than my THA332, my amplifier experience is summarized by Porta Corda, Bithead, EMU 1616's integrated amplifer and Echo Indigo is integrated amplifier. (EMU 1616 solidstate amplifier was also quite impressive with hd595 but it was still on the weaker side of bass).

Darkvoice 332 - costs $400 where I ordered (ebay retail seller), with $80 shipping to the united states. In a similar manner you can buy a Darkvoice 336i for $140 less although I am not familiar with anyone using that with hd595. There is also Little Dot 2++, but I have heard lots of complaints about heat issues of that amp.
There is also Xiangsheng 708B which one head-fier has made a whole thread about modding of. Apparently it is a well engineered amp, but the cheap parts (i.e. explanation of its low cost) leave wishing for better, so hence that is what the user did. ( I do not recall his name but I could always find the thread). It can be purchased for $230.
Singlepower Amplifiers start at 1 grand, and generally signify the top range of tube amplifiers, there are various moddles none of which I heard anything bad about. Singlepower is also nice enough to have its own neat website where you can do you homework =].

This is just a gist of whats available. I really value what 332 did with hd595, and am about to start putting in the new tubes that just arrived =].

Edit:
Quote:

One reply said that tube amps are good with the HD595s. I do not know much about headphone amps. How long do the tubes last in tube amps? Are they expensive to change?

In guitar amplifiers tubes are changed every 3 years or so...guitar amps ABUSE tubes (deliberate overdrive to cause distorted tones). With a headphone amplifier you can expect much better lifetime, and in the end replacement is not much of a worry. I just received two tubes that I paid total of 7 dollars for >.< Very little on comparison how much I spent on this hobby so far.

Feb 26, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #36 of 38
yes.

my cousin brought his 595 and plugged it in to my newly acquired emu 0404 usb and he was raving about how much the sound improved compared to directly plugging it to his soundblaster live, especially the once absent bass.

it also woke up my 555 and gave it new life. and of course, the 0404's synergy with the 650 is well documented already. i highly recommend this soundcard/dac/amp for any senn can, especially since its a much cheaper buy compared to the majority of hardware available.

Feb 26, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #38 of 38
Ili. Thats mostly because emu 0404 is a much much better DAC than the Soundblaster live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back