ONCE AND FOR ALL...DOES THE HD595 BENIFIT FROM AN AMP
Feb 10, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they do improve w/ an amp and even the lowly ldm+ gives them a noticeable improvement

Is this really an improvement or simply a change?

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #17 of 38
I find the HD595s are often mistaken to have a limited soundstage. Out of my G1 iPod shuffle, Audigy2, and AV-710 (unamped) I feel that the soundstage is restricted. Out of the Total Bithead, it opens up and everything sounds just right. I would say an amp does make a significant difference.

Feb 10, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #18 of 38
The HeadFive went well with my HD595 - a bit warmer with a sweetened mid range. The difference was subtle, not night and day.

Feb 10, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well even switching to the line-out on the bottom from the headphone out on the iPod will have an impact. And you need an amp for the former.

I can understand why people say "it depends" when it comes to the amp you choose ... I'm not sure there isn't anything that a tube amp can't improve. But I agree with the above in that just going line-out would seem to lead to a big improvement.

Feb 10, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I don't enjoy a "warm" sound. I enjoyed my HD595's with my Corda Aria. It cleaned up some of the bass and refined the higher frequencies. I can't say it was worth the ~$350 I paid, but as I added a second and third can to my arsenal, the Aria became very worth it (once I got my K701's). The Hd595's benifited from an amp, but not enough at the cost of the Aria for me.

If you're looking to add a little warmth to the Hd595's to closer match it's brethren, the HD580 and HD6x0's, then an amp is very worth it.

If/when Davesrose responds, he'll tell you it was definitely worth it. You should search for his posts of his HD595's paired with his DAC1 and Singlepower PPX3 Slam and Musichall Maverik CDP. He details the improvements he experienced with that setup as well as a few other people at a meet he went to.

Warm sound depends on the used tubes...you can use tubes that almost sound like solid state(better body and better detail as the lush tubes) or tubes with a warm lush sound(mostly less detail as solid state like tubes but even more body and musicality)...this is a great advantage of a tube amp, you can match the tubes to your sound. If you wanna change sound of a solid state, you have to replace the capacitors. With tubes it seems that if you want more detail, you'll loose more body and lushness.

Practically the same as with solid state...if you want detail they can sound thin...if you want more body in solid state you'll losse body and musicallity...only expensive solid state amps have both...

Feb 10, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by db597 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HeadFive went well with my HD595 - a bit warmer with a sweetened mid range. The difference was subtle, not night and day.

Well, I suppose everything in audiophilia is subtle, but I can say that the Headfive matches very well with my HD595. I went from the PA2V2 to the Tomahawk and finally to the Headfive. The Headfive wins hands down with the 595's.

Feb 10, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #23 of 38
Yes .... especially if if the amp is a good tube amp.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes .... especially if if the amp is a good tube amp.
very_evil_smiley.gif

x 2.

But if it's for portability, don't bother getting a portable amp for it, it will sound fine out of your ipod or mp3 player.

Feb 10, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by bunsco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WILL THE HD595'S BENIFIT FROM AN AMP, AND IF SO - BY HOW MUCH.

This much, accurate to +- one "-"

[-----------------]

Feb 11, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #26 of 38
In my experience they definitely do: I was very close to sell them to cover the expenses of my recent upgrade (HR-2 & HD650), but after listening to them in conjunction with the HR-2, I haven’t been able to sell them, actually the idea was erased from my head thanks to the HR-2.

Feb 12, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #27 of 38
it seems pretty split here so far.

considering the bass performance of the HD595's being an engergetically argued point, from the point of view of the "pro" lobby, how much is bottom performance enhanced, and in what way is it enhanced

Feb 12, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #28 of 38
Amp if you are using the line out of the ipod. and do not use anything less than at least a headfive because anything less will not really improve them much. I like the meier crossfeed too. I still flip it on and off here and there to hear more separated detail but find that i prefer to leave crossfeed on with my 595s most of the time. Hey maybe a singlepower or something of that nature will kick arse with the 595. Haven't heard the combo though

Feb 14, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #29 of 38
anything else to add peeps, i know theres a ton of hd595ers out there wanting to know these things.

Feb 14, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amp if you are using the line out of the ipod. and do not use anything less than at least a headfive because anything less will not really improve them much. I like the meier crossfeed too. I still flip it on and off here and there to hear more separated detail but find that i prefer to leave crossfeed on with my 595s most of the time. Hey maybe a singlepower or something of that nature will kick arse with the 595. Haven't heard the combo though

The 595 sounds extremely good with the SP amps. The 595 also does ok with a good portable amp like the PINT. I like the 595 better with tubes but good SS works well. For tubes get something that can handle low impedence headphones like the SP SLAM's or the Extreme.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back