ONCE AND FOR ALL...DOES THE HD595 BENIFIT FROM AN AMP
Feb 9, 2007 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

bunsco

100+ Head-Fier
I'd like to know one way or another, once and for all -

WILL THE HD595'S BENIFIT FROM AN AMP, AND IF SO - BY HOW MUCH.

I know they sound pretty good straight out of the ipod as there pretty easy to drive being low impedence (well they do to me)

but i've heard a lot about how highend phone shine through an amp.

perhaps using a budget amp like the GoVibe is the perfect compromise, i dunno.

Anyway - any thoughts on the core question?

Feb 9, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 38
How much is subjective. Try it for yourself, no one can tell you how much of an improvement an amp will bring.

Feb 9, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much is subjective. Try it for yourself, no one can tell you how much of an improvement an amp will bring.

ofcourse your correct in saying that, though im sure there are many out there with the HD595 + amp combo OR those who used to have the combo and im interested on what their thoughts on the improvements (or lack off) were and what i tended to bring out of the amp (eg. better low/mid/high end performance.)

Feb 9, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 38
Yes and no...

If you pick an amp that synergizes favorably with those cans then the result will leave you
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Pick an amp that doesn't team up favorably and it will leave you
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Amps color the sound as much as they amplify.

Feb 9, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 38
Personally, I don't enjoy a "warm" sound. I enjoyed my HD595's with my Corda Aria. It cleaned up some of the bass and refined the higher frequencies. I can't say it was worth the ~$350 I paid, but as I added a second and third can to my arsenal, the Aria became very worth it (once I got my K701's). The Hd595's benifited from an amp, but not enough at the cost of the Aria for me.

If you're looking to add a little warmth to the Hd595's to closer match it's brethren, the HD580 and HD6x0's, then an amp is very worth it.

If/when Davesrose responds, he'll tell you it was definitely worth it. You should search for his posts of his HD595's paired with his DAC1 and Singlepower PPX3 Slam and Musichall Maverik CDP. He details the improvements he experienced with that setup as well as a few other people at a meet he went to.

Feb 9, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 38
yes, it benefits from an amp. enough to make something like the H5 worth it.

Feb 9, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My HD595's did not benefit much from Hornet or LDM+ amping.

x 2.

The sound of the HD595 will only improve if you plug it into something with much coloration, like a tube amp!

Feb 10, 2007 at 11:34 AM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x 2.

The sound of the HD595 will only improve if you plug it into something with much coloration, like a tube amp!

thanx for all the contributions so far guys.

as i mentioned at the start, im using the HD595's through my ipod so its primarily a portable options im interested in even though i use it with my G4 tower as well.

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by bunsco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as i mentioned at the start, im using the HD595's through my ipod so its primarily a portable options im interested in even though i use it with my G4 tower as well.

Well even switching to the line-out on the bottom from the headphone out on the iPod will have an impact. And you need an amp for the former. While I tend to recommend other phones when used with an amp, the HD595s scales up even with quite expensive amps (some of the Singlepowers for instance). It's just the jump isn't as large as some other phones.

Feb 10, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #15 of 38
The 595s (120 Ohm) significantly improved IMO with my Aria. They also scaled up with sources rather nicely. In that respect they were one of the more revealing headphones I've had for source changes changing more than the 271s, 225s or 600s.

Ant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back