On the selection of HiRES open-back headphones.
Apr 29, 2023 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Maitre Renard

100+ Head-Fier
Hello !

I am looking for an open-back alternative to my lovely Denon ahd-7200. I would like something with the same resolution but with wide soundstage. I do not consider Sennheiser 6xx which sounds very dark in my taste. I have already had a pair of the AKG K712 or Fidellio x2, which sound abit darky as well.

Should I pay attention to magnetic driver headphones like HifiMAn Sundara (costs 270 euros at my place ) ? The other alternative might be the AKG k812 which costs 700 euros !!

Any other suggestions ??

Thanks in advance

Apr 29, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 5
The Sundara will sound veiled in comparison. You could move up to the XS, which will give the soundstage, but it won't have the low end of the D7200, not even with EQ.

For planars in this price range, I always suggest the Quad ERA-1, as I've not heard another sub $1000 USD planar that I like more.

Another option might be the Klipsch HP3, but I've not heard it yet.

Apr 29, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #3 of 5
The Sundara will sound veiled in comparison. You could move up to the XS, which will give the soundstage, but it won't have the low end of the D7200, not even with EQ.

For planars in this price range, I always suggest the Quad ERA-1, as I've not heard another sub $1000 USD planar that I like more.

Another option might be the Klipsch HP3, but I've not heard it yet.
Hey 👋 thank you very much for this suggestions! The XS costs around 450 euros on my side , so 200 euros more than the Sundara . I also noticed that the SR looks bulkier and probably heavy than the Sundara , which attracted me with its minimalist ( for planar magnet) design . So the XS would be a great option compared to the other models mentioned in my first topic ?

Apr 29, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #4 of 5
Hey 👋 thank you very much for this suggestions! The XS costs around 450 euros on my side , so 200 euros more than the Sundara . I also noticed that the SR looks bulkier and probably heavy than the Sundara , which attracted me with its minimalist ( for planar magnet) design . So the XS would be a great option compared to the other models mentioned in my first topic ?
If you want detail and an open airy sound, yes, the XS is well beyond the Sundara.

But coming from the D7200, the XS will lack bass.

Apr 29, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #5 of 5
If you want detail and an open airy sound, yes, the XS is well beyond the Sundara.

But coming from the D7200, the XS will lack bass.
Great, thank you very much!
Actually no problem for the bass , since I would appreciate more treble oriented open sound like in my Sennheiser hd 540 but even with better stage and more details..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back