On my visit to 32 Ohm Audio, and how my mind subsequently got blown.
Mar 29, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #16 of 41
That is kind of a weird connection.
Compared with the AD700s, the recabled K701s are rich and full. I didn't listen to the AD700s after auditioning and buying the 701s; they're in their box now, ready to be sent to a Head-Fier in Canada. The 701s are almost like a dessert you feel guilty about consuming, except that this dessert provides a lot of vitamins and nutrients, and in some cases is healthier than the main course. I thought I had found pretty good-sounding music before, but I found out that the DT990 Pros were a little too bassy, and a little too extended in the treble regions. The AD700s just feel kind of anemic, recalling my experience with them. NOW I know what music sounds like. Coming from the DT990s, they sound less bassy, but all the impact and presence is still there, and combined with the killer soundstage, it sounds vastly superior. Compared to the AD700s, there's more bass, more authority in the lower registers, but it's very tight, well-controlled, and deep. The mids are that much richer. I can say that this is probably the closest I've gotten to speakers for my head, except the K701s win with detail, intimacy, and soundstage.

Mar 29, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #19 of 41
What types of music do you mainly listen to?

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #20 of 41
I would describe my mainly listened-to music (eesh, that was a crappy phrase) as acoustic folk rock. I used to be pretty big into classic rock, but I've mellowed a bit in the six years since graduating from high school. I have a lot of film scores, but that was more a thing of the past, as well. Some indie-type stuff, too, I guess, although I hate that term. With the advent of the K701s, though, I'm planning on buying more music, just to listen to music now. Everything sounds wonderful. I bought a 2-disc set of classical music yesterday. I'll probably continue to stay away from rap and country, though.

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon7s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now you got me wanting to have my K701s recabled
biggrin.gif
- I think I'll wait a while before seeing about having that done though (I certainly don't trust myself to do it, in any case).

I bought my K701s already recabled with Moon Audio Black Dragon cable, so I'll won't know what the stock cable sounds like (if that matters).

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #22 of 41
Ceek OBH-11 is rated for 30-300ohms headphones and its power output is a confusing >10mw into 30 ohms and 300ohms loads.

Creek Audio - OBH-11 Headphone Amplifer

But it seems like a low power output amp and as I have said many times here, K701 does not need a lot of power, it just needs the right amount, so it seems this amp is another one which has a good synergy with K701.

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #24 of 41
atta way, Marximus. 32 Ohm and Ken and Curtis definitely deserve the appreciation !!! and another happy head-fier !!!

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marximus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went back there today. I didn't like the HD800s, nor did I like the HD650s (these were very short auditions, though). They didn't sound right, after listening to the K701s. Which is probably why they're no longer there. They're sitting right next to me now
smily_headphones1.gif
. They're perfect for me.

I've listened to several headphones including the 600/650's and I'll echo your sentiment, the 701's are the perfect headphone for me and mine aren't even re-cabled. I'll have to wait on that expense.

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #27 of 41
Interesting. What is a possibility is that one of the pairs were fully burned in and the other was not. Not to say that I don't believe in cables, but I don't believe in expensive cables.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back