On a mission to like jazz
Aug 9, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #721 of 5,027

And a little bit different but still Jazz, I think :
Arne Domnerus is also playing on the "Jazz At The Pawnshop".
Here in the unusual combination of church organ and sax.
61IXm6fNqoL._SX300_.jpg

Beautiful thing!

Aug 12, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #723 of 5,027

They are really great. 

Aug 12, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #724 of 5,027
I have the blue note sessions and brilliant corners by monk - what others would ye guys suggest?

Aug 12, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #725 of 5,027
  I have the blue note sessions and brilliant corners by monk - what others would ye guys suggest?

Love Monk. I think he might be the most genius composer we've seen in jazz. His play style was also truly unique.

Records I would wholeheartedly recommend include: Monk's Music, Thelonious Monk with John ColtraneThelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall, and Monk's Dream. There are countless others, but naming half of Monk's discography would render it pointless to compile a list in the first place, right? 
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #727 of 5,027

The Complete Live at the It Club

One of the best live Monk recordings available.

Positive ! One of my favorites, too.

A new album which I heard on my way to work :
Bobby Timmons Trio
A double album i.e. 2 LPs on one CD. Excellent mastering!
[Fresh Sound Records]
51KzFcOnpZL.jpg

Samples here :
http://www.amazon.com/Bobby-Timmons-Trio-This-Here/dp/B007QOKIQE

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #728 of 5,027
I have loved Jazz my whole life, having been born into it.
Probably would have been a good idea to read this whole thread before making suggestions, as they might have been made before. Oh well.
I like new experiences, new art, new music so what interests me most are the newest recordings.
Here are three of my most favorite, of albums I recently got.

1. Roy Hargrove: Earfood
2. Paolo Fresu Quintet: 30!
3. Lars Danielsson: Liberetto

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #731 of 5,027
Music only comes alive when you listen to it, a box of CDs , vinyl records (... or your favorite storage medium) - yes but a box of cards - are they kiddin'  :confused: .

Did you even read anything on the site? The cards, t-shirts, etc. are being sold to raise money for jazz education. Here in the US, the birth place and home of jazz, there is virtually no money being allocated by Congress or state legislatures for education, let alone jazz education so this effort should be praised, not mocked. Plus perhaps some of the cards may feature an jazz musician that you are not familiar with and lead you to learn about and enjoy some music new to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back