On a mission to like jazz
Jul 28, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #691 of 5,045
My 2 favorite Benson albums ¬ 

Jul 28, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #692 of 5,045
Rory can really play. Some of the best jazz guitar I've heard in a long time

Jul 28, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #693 of 5,045

One of the best Miles Davis albums around IMO..One of those live performances where everythings falls in place.. bigtime

I agree about '4 & More'.  Miles released TWO albums from this concert, the other being 'My Funny Valentine'.  4 & More featured the more upbeat tunes while 'Valentine' is primarily made up of the ballads.  The thought just occurred to me that these 2 records, if seen together as one actual double album would historically, be Miles' 1st double!:wink:  Mixing up the cuts from the 2 albums, in a playlist set to 'random', makes for a helluva listen!

Jul 28, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #694 of 5,045
On the subject of jazz guitar I would be doing you all a great disservice if I didn't mention the late, great Emily Remler. Her story is rather tragic and you can easily read all about her by just a quick search. In any event while her bio is interesting her music is outstanding. Here are two videos - one is just a song from the album "Catwalk" - her fantastic quartet recording from August 1984. A really good quartet with John D'Earth on trumpet, Eddie Gomez on bass and the very creative Bob Moses handling all percussion.

The second video is an instructional jazz guitar video with Emily playing and speaking. I get a kick out listening to her voice since she just like so women I've known throughout my life (I have lived in the greater NYC area almost my whole life and went to college on Long Island, which is where Remler was from).

Enjoy!

Jul 28, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #695 of 5,045

I agree about '4 & More'.  Miles released TWO albums from this concert, the other being 'My Funny Valentine'.  4 & More featured the more upbeat tunes while 'Valentine' is primarily made up of the ballads.  The thought just occurred to me that these 2 records, if seen together as one actual double album would historically, be Miles' 1st double!:wink:  Mixing up the cuts from the 2 albums, in a playlist set to 'random', makes for a helluva listen!

I bought the Seven Steps to Heaven box few years ago especially for this stunning NY concert. The whole concert is on this box, complete and in the right order..

They really should release this concert complete as a 2 cd set..way overdue

Jul 28, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #696 of 5,045
  On the subject of jazz guitar I would be doing you all a great disservice if I didn't mention the late, great Emily Remler. Her story is rather tragic and you can easily read all about her by just a quick search. In any event while her bio is interesting her music is outstanding. Here are two videos - one is just a song from the album "Catwalk" - her fantastic quartet recording from August 1984. A really good quartet with John D'Earth on trumpet, Eddie Gomez on bass and the very creative Bob Moses handling all percussion.

The second video is an instructional jazz guitar video with Emily playing and speaking. I get a kick out listening to her voice since she just like so women I've known throughout my life (I have lived in the greater NYC area almost my whole life and went to college on Long Island, which is where Remler was from).

Enjoy!

I have come across her before - she has some really good tutorial videos that helped me a lot when i was trying to figure out chord voicing's for jazz guitar. But I have never heard any of her albums. 

Thanks for posting

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #697 of 5,045

Enjoy!

Thanks for posting this. Absolutely amazing.

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #698 of 5,045
Still on the subject of jazz guitar here is another MONSTER of the electric guitar: Sonny Sharrock

Sonny Sharrock was so unique that words alone cannot even come close to doing him and his music justice so I will just let the music speak for itself.

First here is the complete recording of Sharrock's "Ask the Ages", the album that many, many Sharrock fans consider to be his best:

Next here is a track from Sharrock's most accessible recording "Highlife". While many fans dismiss this album as too commercial I still find quite enjoyable and as always Sharrock's guitar cuts through all the slick gloss like a beam of pure white light. As always: ENJOY!

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #699 of 5,045
Here's a couple incredible performances recommended to me by YouTube today.

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #700 of 5,045
I just got a DSD of Dave Brubecks "Time Out" - its sounds wonderful. Other than the "Time Out" album what do you guys think are his best? I plan on buying 4 or 5. All suggestions are welcome. Love the drumming on "Time Out" by the way! 

Jul 31, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #701 of 5,045
  I just got a DSD of Dave Brubecks "Time Out" - its sounds wonderful. Other than the "Time Out" album what do you guys think are his best? I plan on buying 4 or 5. All suggestions are welcome. Love the drumming on "Time Out" by the way! 

I should get the Analogue Productions 45rpm 2LP at some point…

"At Carnegie Hall" is one of my favorite live albums of all time so that is definitely my recommendation as far at The Dave Brubeck Quartet goes.

Edit: I should add I greatly prefer "At Carnegie Hall" to "Time Out". Not that there is anything wrong with "Time Out", of course. One of the best-sounding records committed to tape for sure. I'm not interested enough in The Dave Brubeck Quartet and cool jazz to have listened to any of their other records, apart from Brubeck's solo record "Brubeck Plays Brubeck" recorded by Brubeck himself as I seem to recall. Didn't think it was anything to write home about, but some of the songs were "nice".

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #702 of 5,045
Hey guys great thread!

Brubeck...
Jazz Impressions of Japan and London Flat, London Sharp are a couple of my favorites along with Time Out and Time Further Out.

I'm a Chet Baker fan myself.
:beerchug:

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #703 of 5,045
Live at Carnegie Hall, and Time Further Out are both good as well. Live at Carnegie Hall is a really really good album. Good music, good performance, and it's recorded very well for the most part.

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #704 of 5,045
Here's finally one of my absolute favorite albums of all time, from my favorite artist of all time: the Olatunji Concert, John Coltrane's last recorded live performance. The sound quality is perhaps the most atrocious I've ever heard, but in this very rare case I feel it only adds to the experience. If you can dig it, hey, I salute you. If not, that is kind of sad, but understandable I suppose. Keep listening to music and perhaps one day you'll get it. Listen to all kind of music, folk, classical, hip hop, blues, world, ambient, metal, pop, drone, electronic, rock, and keep returning to this one occasionally. I believe eventually the music will open to you.

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #705 of 5,045
I am a great fan of Coltrane. I had a strange occurrance of complete understanding, call it spiritual if you will, years ago when I listened to his somewhat underrated "Stellar Regions" over my headphones at like 2 am at night, unfortunately that was so far not repeatable ...

As for the Olatunji recording, I have to agree the sound is indeed atorcious, at least from the video.
It sounds like they are are trashing a trash can
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back