On a mission to like jazz
Aug 5, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #706 of 5,045
  I am a great fan of Coltrane. I had a strange occurrance of complete understanding, call it spiritual if you will, years ago when I listened to his somewhat underrated "Stellar Regions" over my headphones at like 2 am at night, unfortunately that was so far not repeatable ...

As for the Olatunji recording, I have to agree the sound is indeed atorcious, at least from the video.
It sounds like they are are trashing a trash can
eek.gif

My first time listening to the Olatunji concert was also in the wee hours of the morning one summer. It was already well into the next day, close to morning, and I can't say I wasn't tired and ready to hit the sack, but once I hit play I simply could not move from my spot before the last sound had died away. One of those truly transcendental or spiritual moments as you said. Many of Trane's late recordings have the same effect.

The video might sound bad, but trust me the actual CD itself is hardly much different. The engineering is simply all over the place.

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #707 of 5,045
Listened to these three last night:

The last one is more towards the prog rock genre, but there are some definite jazz influences in there.

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #709 of 5,045
On the subject of Joe Henderson here are two very, very worthwhile recordings featuring Joe Henderson.

The first is from Henderson's fantastic live recording from 1985 - "The State of the Tenor: Live at the Village Vanguard". This trio recording featuring Ron Carter on bass &  Al Foster on drums is pretty much the equal of another great tenor trio recorded live at NYC's famous Village Vanguard by Sonny Rollins back in 1957 - "A Night at the Village Vanguard". The Rollins recording has long been considered one of the top tenor trio recordings ever made, so the Henderson recording is no small feat.

The second recording is from McCoy Tyner's 1991 recording "New York Reunion". A quartet featuring Tyner on piano along with Henderson on tenor sax, Ron Carter on bass &  Al Foster on drums. Henderson's playing is outstanding throughout.

A 24bit/96kHz version of "New York Reunion" is available from HDTracks.com

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #710 of 5,045
  On the subject of Joe Henderson here are two very, very worthwhile recordings featuring Joe Henderson.

The first is from Henderson's fantastic live recording from 1985 - "The State of the Tenor: Live at the Village Vanguard". This trio recording featuring Ron Carter on bass &  Al Foster on drums is pretty much the equal of another great tenor trio recorded live at NYC's famous Village Vanguard by Sonny Rollins back in 1957 - "A Night at the Village Vanguard". The Rollins recording has long been considered one of the top tenor trio recordings ever made, so the Henderson recording is no small feat.

The second recording is from McCoy Tyner's 1991 recording "New York Reunion". A quartet featuring Tyner on piano along with Henderson on tenor sax, Ron Carter on bass &  Al Foster on drums. Henderson's playing is outstanding throughout.

Wow - 2 great posts ill be sure to check these out. 

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #711 of 5,045

I love the first one, I'll check out the second, thanks!
wink.gif

Aug 6, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #712 of 5,045
I'm really liking Paul Desmond's alto sax playing on "time out". Especially the track "three to get ready". Anyone know of other alto players that really shine on a record like that?

sorry that video is the wrong track - its listed wrong on youtube and for some reason. here it is¬

Aug 6, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #713 of 5,045
Also listening to these right now. I finally caught up on those Lee Morgan albums - I really like these 2. A lot of great players here. ¬

Aug 6, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #714 of 5,045
  I'm really liking Paul Desmond's alto sax playing on "time out". Especially the track "three to get ready". Anyone know of other alto players that really shine on a record like that?

Alto sax players:

The immortal Charlie Parker:

Any and all of his recordings for Savoy. For example:

The great Johnny Hodges (long time member of the Duke Ellington Orchestra). On this track, written by Billy Strayhorn and recorded by Ellington shortly after Strayhorn's passing, Johnny Hodges' alto playing embodies all the pain he and the rest of the jazz community were feeling for the loss of their dear friend. Absolutely tremendous and heart breaking.

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #716 of 5,045
I am always amazed how much great music is out there which I haven't even heard about.

As for saxophone, a true classic which might have been mentioned before but since there are so many crappy issues on the market, one that truely stands out :
LIMHD036-Large.jpg

And a little bit different but still Jazz, I think :
Arne Domnerus is also playing on the "Jazz At The Pawnshop".
Here in the unusual combination of church organ and sax.
61IXm6fNqoL._SX300_.jpg

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #717 of 5,045
  I am always amazed how much great music is out there which I haven't even heard about.

And a little bit different but still Jazz, I think :
Arne Domnerus is also playing on the "Jazz At The Pawnshop".
Here in the unusual combination of church organ and sax.
61IXm6fNqoL._SX300_.jpg

Just hit play just a minute ago on this one. It's on Spotify. Very interesting...

The way the sax is resonating around the church is cool in and of itself. Sounds pretty good on my nearfield speakers.

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #718 of 5,045
Thanks for all the alto sax help. 

Has anyone heard any of the Eddie Daniels Records? I know he played with Johnny Hammond on "higher ground" but i heard this track on a chesky records album called "tricotism" and was very impressed. I wouldn't mind finding more stuff like that. The clarinet playing is amazing on that track!

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #719 of 5,045
Hiromi and Chick Corea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back