On a mission to like jazz
Apr 5, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #391 of 5,029
Next up in my continuing series of jazz artists and groups deserving wider recognition is a great ensemble from that recorded from the mid 1970's through the early 2000s and was made up of some the best English and European jazz musicians: The United Jazz + Rock Ensemble

What made the UJ+RE unique was the way each group member was able to put aside their ego and work completely within the "group" concept. Various members provided the first rate compositions and arrangements that were the hallmark of this remarkable ensemble. Add in the fact that the playing was as good as, if not better than, the compositions and one begins to understand why the UJ+RE had and continues to have so many diehard fans.

I don't know how much of their music is available today since all of my copies of their records (yes, I have several of their LPs) and CD were bought many years ago but trust me, their music is well worth seeking out.

All Music link: http://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-united-jazz-rock-ensemble-mn0000289659

Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Jazz_%2B_Rock_Ensemble

Some cover art:

And some music:

As always: Enjoy!

Apr 5, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #392 of 5,029
  Next up in my continuing series of jazz artists and groups deserving wider recognition is a great ensemble from that recorded from the mid 1970's through the early 2000s and was made up of some the best English and European jazz musicians: The United Jazz + Rock Ensemble

What made the UJ+RE unique was the way each group member was able to put aside their ego and work completely within the "group" concept. Various members provided the first rate compositions and arrangements that were the hallmark of this remarkable ensemble. Add in the fact that the playing was as good as, if not better than, the compositions and one begins to understand why the UJ+RE had and continues to have so many diehard fans.

I don't know how much of their music is available today since all of my copies of their records (yes, I have several of their LPs) and CD were bought many years ago but trust me, their music is well worth seeking out.

All Music link: http://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-united-jazz-rock-ensemble-mn0000289659

Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Jazz_%2B_Rock_Ensemble

Some cover art:

And some music:

As always: Enjoy!

Yet more gold from Ralph! I'm running short on money these days because of you Ralph! 
wink.gif
===== 
beerchug.gif

Apr 5, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #393 of 5,029
  Yet more gold from Ralph! I'm running short on money these days because of you Ralph! 
wink.gif
===== 
beerchug.gif

I have some good/bad news for you - so far I've only scratched the surface of all the great jazz that I would like to recommend. There are literally hundreds of other musicians and groups that I could easily recommend:

Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath
The Don Pullen/George Adams Quartet
John Zorn's Masada
James Carter
David Murray and The David Murray Octet
The Mingus Big Band

But I'm getting ahead of myself and rather than simply posting a long list I much prefer to keep posting them one at time with a brief writeup, some cover art and music samples for each one. I would also recommend trying out one of the subscription music streaming services like Spotify so that you can listen and explore to your heart's content without breaking the bank.

Apr 5, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #394 of 5,029

Apr 5, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #396 of 5,029
Apr 6, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #397 of 5,029
Apr 6, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #398 of 5,029
This is a whopper of a performance, the piano player has a great touch - love the solo at 1.54. I think i will be buying her album. ¬

there is something about the drumming on this that i love but cant put my finger on. 

Apr 6, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #399 of 5,029
The drumming is is fantastic. He keeps the pulse while also fooling around with accents and suggesting different time signatures, all the while just keeping it all swinging in 4/4.
Actually the whole band is fantastic.Singer too, Ella, Sarah and Carmen McRae all in in one.

Apr 6, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #400 of 5,029
  This is a whopper of a performance, the piano player has a great touch - love the solo at 1.54. I think i will be buying her album. ¬

there is something about the drumming on this that i love but cant put my finger on. 

The drumming is is fantastic. He keeps the pulse while also fooling around with accents and suggesting different time signatures, all the while just keeping it all swinging in 4/4.
Actually the whole band is fantastic.Singer too, Ella, Sarah and Carmen McRae all in in one.

I listened to interview/show that posted video was taken from and learned that the drummer name is Lawrence Weathers, someone I'm not familiar with but it seems that Ms. Salvant knows how to pick drummers because on "WomanChild" Cécile McLorin Salvant's 2013 release the drummer is the great Herlin Riley. Riley is from New Orleans, the birth place and home of many, many great jazz drummers, and was the longtime drummer for Wynton Marsalis' Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra as well as the drummer on many of Wynton's recordings. Riley is easily one of the top five drummers working in jazz today and based on the video Mr. Weathers is not that far behind.

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #401 of 5,029
Any fans of the mid Sixties Miles Davis Quintet out there?
Miles Davis
Tony Williams
Ron Carter
Wayne Shorter
Herbie Hancock

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #402 of 5,029
Any fans of the mid Sixties Miles Davis Quintet out there?
Miles Davis
Tony Williams
Ron Carter
Wayne Shorter
Herbie Hancock

Are there people who aren't? I've never been the biggest fan of Miles David, but I do like me some E.S.P. I need to acquire it on vinyl actually.

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #403 of 5,029
Subbed. My dad has been into this stuff for forever and a day....Was thinking about exploring Jazz stuff today.

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #404 of 5,029
  Subbed. My dad has been into this stuff for forever and a day....Was thinking about exploring Jazz stuff today.

well, you have come to the right place. I'm enjoying some Julian Lage and Gary Burton at the moment ¬ 

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #405 of 5,029
I think this is the best cover of "John Henry" that I ever heard. Man she has bags of soul!! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back