On a mission to like jazz
Mar 29, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #376 of 5,030

ECM is well-known for their sound, which not everyone likes, and very distinctive album artwork. The only Tord Gustavsen album I have so far is Being There, which I listened to again only a week or so ago. It's a great album, deeply emotional music. If you haven't gotten around to listening to Keith Jarrett yet, one of ECM's biggest names, his Köln Concert is one of my top ten albums of all time and I remember hearing somewhere it might also be the world's best-selling solo piano album as well. I don't know if there's any truth to that, but the music is the most heavenly thing on Earth.

I'm not sure how anybody could not like it. All of these albums sound very clear and very well produced to me. I'll be stopping by an FYE later today, so if I see any of the Keith Jarrett I'll probably grab it. 

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #377 of 5,030
Earlier this week the new recording by The Bad Plus, a New York city based piano trio, "The Rite of Spring" was released. The Bad Plus have been performing their version of Stravinsky's masterpiece in concert for over a year and have received tons and tons of rave reviews. Well after listening to the new recording all I can say is "Wow!". But don't take my word for it, check it out for yourself.

Typical rave review: http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/music/2014/03/24/album-review-the-bad-plus-the-rite-spring/rZtmtdQAxpFknqTGT4S5aP/story.html

Album cover:

Video (really just still photos with the entire recording playing):

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #378 of 5,030
  I'm not sure how anybody could not like it. All of these albums sound very clear and very well produced to me. I'll be stopping by an FYE later today, so if I see any of the Keith Jarrett I'll probably grab it. 

Some people prefer a bit warmer and perhaps slightly less spatial, more intimate sound. Some ECM records might be a bit too "cool" for those people's tastes. I think those individuals are in the minority, though. You do see people who have a distaste for the "ECM sound" here and there from time to time, however. I'm not sure if those people are the same who absolutely can't stand any music released by ECM for whatever reason, but there seem to be those kind of people around as well who simply loathe the whole label. I personally own several great ECM releases and would have even more if they weren't typically sold for such a premium price. The availability in my town is also an issue so I often have to turn to order stuff online. Given the huge size of their roster, however, there are of course some mediocre releases among the good ones, but that's to be expected.

Edit:
The aforementioned Köln Concert sounds phenomenal, by the way. It was recorded using a pair of Neumann U-67 mics, if I'm not mistaken.

Mar 29, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #379 of 5,030
6 more:

As for the ECM debate, I don't consider them to be cold, I just consider them to be crystal clear. The biggest thing that sticks out to me is just how clear the drums are recorded, the cymbals in particular. 

Mar 30, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #380 of 5,030
As for the ECM debate, I don't consider them to be cold, I just consider them to be crystal clear. The biggest thing that sticks out to me is just how clear the drums are recorded, the cymbals in particular. 

Oh Jack Johnson is a good one. I also have Third Quartet but can't stand it nowadays after hearing it too many times. Just doesn't have the long-term replay value for me I guess. All the tunes just sound too familiar to me and I'm sick of them.

I do know what you mean. I don't ever remember having an issue with the sound of an ECM release. There is more to sound than clarity, however. Much more. Sometimes it can even be an unwanted thing. Depends entirely on the case.

There are some modern jazz records out there where I'm really not a fan of how they were recorded. Most recent example that comes to mind is Pat Metheny's The Way Up. I can see why many audiophiles would likely drool over the sound quality on the record, but I have serious issues with it personally. Everything sounds so analytically and clinically clear it's just lifeless to me. The biggest thing is the cymbals, which sound WAY too crisp for my taste – it's like the equivalent of watching an over-sharpened digital image. The mix, however, is one of the best I've heard in a looong time. And just based on hearing it through headphones. It's a truly phenomenal mix.

I'm sure painstaking work went into the engineering, but the sound of that record is not a thing that appeals to me. It is not a question of sound quality but "sound". I have however not heard the CD through my speakers yet, so I might still revise my opinion. I don't really care, though, for the music itself left me unimpressed. On first listen it was okay, but on consecutive listens it got progressively worse. Of all the players on that session, only the piano player really appealed to me. I might have to take a look at his discography at some point.

As far as modern jazz records go, Hiromi's albums on Telarc sound exceptional. The SACDs have some of the best sound quality I've ever had the pleasure of coming across. Michael Bishop knows what he's doing. If you like well recorded drums, those discs are the s***.

Mar 30, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #381 of 5,030
The drummer on the latest Hiromi discs is Simon Phillips, used to be in a band called Toto. I'm a huge fan of his work. Coincidentally, I just picked his latest record yesterday! Protocol 2 is an instrumental Rock/Jazz recording that truly smokes!!

Mar 30, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #382 of 5,030
  Earlier this week the new recording by The Bad Plus, a New York city based piano trio, "The Rite of Spring" was released. The Bad Plus have been performing their version of Stravinsky's masterpiece in concert for over a year and have received tons and tons of rave reviews. Well after listening to the new recording all I can say is "Wow!". But don't take my word for it, check it out for yourself.

Typical rave review: http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/music/2014/03/24/album-review-the-bad-plus-the-rite-spring/rZtmtdQAxpFknqTGT4S5aP/story.html

Album cover:

Video (really just still photos with the entire recording playing):

I was introduced to the Bad Plus about 3-4 years ago through a jazz documentary I saw.  They have been one of my favorite trio's since.  I love all of their stuff.  Unfortunately they have yet to make their way through Utah and it isn't one of the stops on their upcoming tour so I haven't seen them live.  Great stuff though.  If someone hasn't checked them out yet definitely give them a listen!

Mar 30, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #383 of 5,030
  there aren't that many that can beat this - ¬   One of the very best, and it sounds incredible also. 

In a very similar vein, if not the exact same vein, try Marcus Roberts 1990 release "Deep In the Shed"

and the opening track:

As always - enjoy!

Mar 30, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #384 of 5,030

In a very similar vein, if not the exact same vein, try Marcus Roberts 1990 release "Deep In the Shed"

and the opening track:

As always - enjoy!

im on it, cant wait to hear. I am away from my rig because of my sisters wedding but i will give it a go when i get back. 

By the way that Claudia Quintet album - "what is the beautiful" has become one of my favorite albums of late, thanks again for that 
beerchug.gif

Mar 31, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #386 of 5,030
Next up:

A really great 2005 release from a jazz "super" group that went by the name "Gold Sounds" and released this one self titled recording:

As you can see from the above image the group consisted of

James Carter - reeds
Cyrus Chestnut - keyboards
Ali Jackson - drums
Reginald Veal - bass

The recording is made up entirely of jazz covers of songs by the rock group Pavement and amazingly works much better than you would ever expect. Here's the group doing the song "Platform Blues":

The rest of the CD is just as good and highly recommended, of course.

Enjoy!

Apr 4, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #388 of 5,030
The Bad Plus "Rite of Spring"  & "Give" and
Bill Evans & Jim Hall "Undercurrent" have been shipped ... delivery in a couple of days.
Can hardly wait to spin these, great recommedations in this thread.
THANKS a lot folks !
beerchug.gif

Apr 4, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #389 of 5,030

and the opening track:

As always - enjoy!

He's gonna be in Birmingham, AL in a few weeks working the jazz groups at my school. Can't wait!

Apr 5, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #390 of 5,030
  The Bad Plus "Rite of Spring"  & "Give" and
Bill Evans & Jim Hall "Undercurrent" have been shipped ... delivery in a couple of days.
Can hardly wait to spin these, great recommedations in this thread.
THANKS a lot folks !
beerchug.gif

Listening to Rite of Spring right now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back