On a mission to like jazz
Oct 20, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #2,086 of 5,063
Don't think there are as many jam sessions as there were (I could be wrong on this, though, maybe I'm just not up on them. There are some Village clubs like Smalls, think they do have it, and there are so many new places in Brooklyn, that weren't there when I was in Brooklyn, sigh...), Smoke actually does have one after the last set if I remember correctly, but I have to be in the office 8:30 tomorrow, too old for that kind of night life at this point.
redface.gif

Another club that bit the dust was, "The Bottom Line." I used to catch some contemporary electric jazz performances, ie., The Brecker Brothers, Jon Luc Ponty, etc.
The Landlord was NYU and there were issues with rent. I believe that now NYU holds classes there. Jazz was doing rather well in those days, however, now it's all T&A music and Hip Hop, not much for musicianship.

Oct 20, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #2,087 of 5,063
Don't think there are as many jam sessions as there were (I could be wrong on this, though, maybe I'm just not up on them. There are some Village clubs like Smalls, think they do have it, and there are so many new places in Brooklyn, that weren't there when I was in Brooklyn, sigh...), Smoke actually does have one after the last set if I remember correctly, but I have to be in the office 8:30 tomorrow, too old for that kind of night life at this point. :xf_eek:

Another club that bit the dust was, "The Bottom Line." I used to catch some contemporary electric jazz performances, ie., The Brecker Brothers, Jon Luc Ponty, etc.
The Landlord was NYU and there were issues with rent. I believe that now NYU holds classes there. Jazz was doing rather well in those days, however, now it's all T&A music and Hip Hop, not much for musicianship.

Still good venues to hear jazz in NYC (just don't have the time/energy at this point in my life, especially since I now have to commute from Jersey, to indulge in the night life), love The Jazz Standard (great music and great BBQ), lots of clubs in Jersey, Barbes is one I get to (not just jazz), when I can get to John Zorn's The Stone I like it, on the "cutting edge" there, many venues, maybe when I retire I'll get out more...

Oct 20, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #2,088 of 5,063
Still good venues to hear jazz in NYC (just don't have the time/energy at this point in my life, especially since I now have to commute from Jersey, to indulge in the night life), love The Jazz Standard (great music and great BBQ), lots of clubs in Jersey, Barbes is one I get to (not just jazz), when I can get to John Zorn's The Stone I like it, on the "cutting edge" there, many venues, maybe when I retire I'll get out more...

There's "The Jersey Shore Jazz and Blues Festival" I believe 3 of them per year. I think "The Jersey Shore Jazz and Blues Foundation" has a web site that lists other performances.

Oct 20, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #2,089 of 5,063

There's "The Jersey Shore Jazz and Blues Festival" I believe 3 of them per year. I think "The Jersey Shore Jazz and Blues Foundation" has a web site that lists other performances.

Cool, I checked it out, seems to be Summer Festivals there, all passed for this year, but I'll have to check it out next year. .

One place I went to once, in Pa, is Deer Head Inn (went there after a long 3 day bike trip, really liked it, though, I have one complaint with jazz clubs everywhere that isn't Manhattan, and even sometimes in Manhattan, but not as much, and that is NO ONE STOPS TALKING!!!! Gets me crazy!). Shanghai Jazz and Trumpets in New Jersey suffer from the same thing, people talking loudly to talk over the musicians (Trumpets not as badly as Shanghai Jazz), so, since they all involve travelling for me, I'd just as soon go to Manhattan generally.

Oct 20, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #2,090 of 5,063
Cool, I checked it out, seems to be Summer Festivals there, all passed for this year, but I'll have to check it out next year. .

One place I went to once, in Pa, is Deer Head Inn (went there after a long 3 day bike trip, really liked it, though, I have one complaint with jazz clubs everywhere that isn't Manhattan, and even sometimes in Manhattan, but not as much, and that is NO ONE STOPS TALKING!!!! Gets me crazy!). Shanghai Jazz and Trumpets in New Jersey suffer from the same thing, people talking loudly to talk over the musicians (Trumpets not as badly as Shanghai Jazz), so, since they all involve travelling for me, I'd just as soon go to Manhattan generally.

Yep, missed the summer festivals and as you said, there's next year. It's unfortunate that too many people can't be quiet and listen to the music. Why do these people bother to go to such a venue if they don't listen to the music? Sometimes you can hear the yapping in live recordings.

Oct 20, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #2,091 of 5,063
I don't get it either...the food at these places in Jersey is good, but not anything not available elsewhere. You can go to a better restaurant, not have to shout over the musicians, and probably have a better time. Makes me absolutely crazy! (I've said things to people at these places at times, though I usually just stew and don't enjoy myself).

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #2,092 of 5,063

I totally agree ! If you want to chat over a beer go to a "sports bar" where nobody cares. To go to a Jazz venue and talk during the concert drives me nuts, too. I am usually not a guy getting grumpy at strangers but in the Blue Note there was a table behind us chatting the whole time until I couldn't take it anymore and brashly said "Hey can you keep it down if you don't mind? Thanks!" Some people are either just plain stupid or totally ignoring that others might be enjoying this kind of music and paid money to attend the concert. In general Blue Note, Jazz Standard or Birdland and Village Vanguard do have an audience that comes for the music and not to chat during the performance.

The best place in this respect is the Kitano.
http://www.kitano.com/Jazz-Schedule
Before the show start proprietor Tony, IIRC gives the audience his polite "shut up" speech which works perfectly every time and then you can enjoy the concert with excellent acoustics. The loudest noise is the barkeeper in the background. 
wink.gif
They have Jam sessions on Mondays, as someone was asking earlier.

Oct 21, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #2,093 of 5,063
Show was great (not inexpensive, but the did was fine, ambience coop, music great)! Ben Allison's album based on Jimmy Giuffre/Jim Hall drumless trio music just released, bought a copy (vinyl, no less) at the club.

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #2,094 of 5,063
http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/shows/69139

Great radio streaming now, WFMU.org. Steven Bernstein guest hosting Bob Brainen's show, 9-1 Eastern time (shows are archived for later listening). Great so far!

Oct 23, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #2,095 of 5,063
I'm loving Ravi Coltrane and group, they are amazing in 2002's "Mad 6"

Took quite a few listens, but I'm now hooked.

Very highly recommended. ....phenomenal. Post-bop, smooth, full of texture and movement     ....very eloquent

....beautiful

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #2,096 of 5,063
Thinking outside the box: at least to me, interesting. Never heard of, but some pieces are really, really interesting!

Oct 28, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #2,097 of 5,063
Another great radio show (internet), Give The Drummer Some on the WFMU stream, Doug Shulkind does a great mix of jazz, world music, soul, blues, country, and anything you can think of (archived for streaming later, live in 10 minutes).

http://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/69227

Oct 29, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #2,099 of 5,063
Just saw these guys live - great show and a completely singular and strikingly modern band. Here's a track from their latest album, which is superb. 

Nice track!
(Like John Hollenback, the Big Band album is cool).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back