On a mission to like jazz
Oct 6, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #2,057 of 5,049
I am getting deeper into Count Basie. I have always loved his music, the dynamics, horns, upbeat rhythms...now I realize just how well most of his stuff was mastered. And how many of his songs that I love. I highly recommend the Story double CD, so much win!

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #2,058 of 5,049
  I am getting deeper into Count Basie. I have always loved his music, the dynamics, horns, upbeat rhythms...now I realize just how well most of his stuff was mastered. And how many of his songs that I love. I highly recommend the Story double CD, so much win!

you're right lush mastering work i'm listening now to the remaster of that album that's on spotify

Oct 6, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #2,059 of 5,049
So I'm watching For Love Of Country The Arturo Sandoval Story, acting is Andy Garcia but the story is what I'm after. Now Pacquito and Arturo are here who I'm familiar with but so is Dizzy Gillespie.

So now I ask you guys, which albums are good to discover Gillespie with?

Easier to do this from home later, but there are too many.
For starters, the recordings from the 40 of Bird and Diz (lots of this stuff has been released and rereleased on multiple albums...I have vinyl copies at home, I'll post album names when I get home tonight).
There was a reunion with Bird in the 50's, with Monk, also a great session.
There were sessions with Sonny Rollins and Sonny Stitt in the 50's, was released as a twofer album on vinyl, great stuff.
•1959: Have Trumpet, Will Excite! (Verve) is a great album (there are so many)
•1955: with Roy Eldridge Roy And Diz (Clef)
Many more, should be a good start, I'll get home late, but I'll try to flesh things out a bit later.

Oct 6, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #2,060 of 5,049
Easier to do this from home later, but there are too many.
For starters, the recordings from the 40 of Bird and Diz (lots of this stuff has been released and rereleased on multiple albums...I have vinyl copies at home, I'll post album names when I get home tonight).
There was a reunion with Bird in the 50's, with Monk, also a great session.
There were sessions with Sonny Rollins and Sonny Stitt in the 50's, was released as a twofer album on vinyl, great stuff.
•1959: Have Trumpet, Will Excite! (Verve) is a great album (there are so many)
•1955: with Roy Eldridge Roy And Diz (Clef)
Many more, should be a good start, I'll get home late, but I'll try to flesh things out a bit later.

I will check those out. The sessions suggestions would be great in discovering, I have Spotify which allows me to look at what's available for the artist but finding sessions with other artists is a bit more tricky. I'll most likely be getting CDs of the albums I find enjoyable to add to the catalog.

Oct 6, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #2,061 of 5,049
OK, got to my Dizzy vinyl...most of this should be available on CD (a good source for LP's or CD's is Discogs, here's Dizzy's page
btwhttps://www.discogs.com/artist/64694-Dizzy-Gillespie )

Anyway, Dizzy Gillespie and his Sextets-Groovin High(Musicraft), historical, the 40s groups, with and without Charlie Parker)
John Birks Dizzy Gillespie-The Development of an American Artist (Smithsonian). 2 LPs of 40's Dizzy
Diz and Roy[Dizzy Gillespie and Roy Eldridge-Verve 2LPs (a Twofer reissue, separate issues released earlier)
One Night in Washington Diz and Orchestra (Elektra Musician), not great sound, a live recording, but great music
For more Dizzy Big Band, Dizzy Gillespie, World Statesman (Verve) will provide some fine listening.

Discogs lists 227 albums (some are repackaging of the same album), I haven't heard most of them (and I've heard many of them, have about 25-30 but Diz recorded for a long time. Didn't get to the Pablo stuff from later in his career, but the early stuff and the Verve stuff is what I've listened to most). The Afro-Cuban material, with Machito, is also great stuff.
Anyway, this is enough to keep you busy for a while...:)

Oct 7, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #2,062 of 5,049
Hello Pierre,

I agree with most what you said. Nevertheless, I think a little differentiation has to be done. Cultural events in general, being classical concerts, jazz concerts, theatre, etc., has become affordable, for everyone. Where things get really expensive are the so-called big festivals. Go and book tickets for the main concerts at Montreux Jazz Festival. They tend to be very expensive. I know many who refuse to pay such tickets. Take the world leading classical music festivals like Bayreuth, Glyndebourne, Lucerne Music Festival, etc., and the prices become exorbitant, and even if you want to get tickets, very hard to get. The English speaking countries might be a little more moderate, but continental Europe has lost all measures. But tickets during the regular concert period can be quite moderate. I remember a breathtaking concert conducted by Lorin Maazel six or seven years ago at the Concergebouw in Amsterdam where I got one of the last seats in the back row for 50 Euros. But I gave up getting tickets at the Lucerne Music Festival when he still conducted. Prices were around 300 Euros. And THAT is not affordable for everyone!

An important differentiation indeed, thank you. I must say that I don't have much experience of these festivals simply because I can't afford them but reading through the programmes in jazz magazines when I was young used to make me dream. Also in France it's rare that one has to pay that much money, even the historical festivals such as Nice Jazz Festival, Jazz à Juan-les-pins, Jazz à Vienne, the Opera festival in Aix-en-Provence, Marciac are still accessible, and many festivals are free like the Jazz Festival in Toulon. That's the advantage of having a nanny state that puts a lot of public money into these things, even if it's less and less. I have only been in the UK for 4 years but there seems to be a excellente web of music festivals as well. The last one I have been to was in Newcastle at the Sage, I saw Jack DeJohnette there and discovered Marius Neset, it was a great evening. I have been to the Hull Jazz Festival too, which happens twice a year and is very good.

Oct 7, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #2,063 of 5,049
I will check those out. The sessions suggestions would be great in discovering, I have Spotify which allows me to look at what's available for the artist but finding sessions with other artists is a bit more tricky. I'll most likely be getting CDs of the albums I find enjoyable to add to the catalog.

It's sad that Gillespie doesn't get as much love and recognition as, say, Miles Davis, the reissues have been erratic and with many records now in the public domain in the EU it can be difficult to make sense of his discography. Doctorjazz already provided lots to listen to, I'd just like to point to my favourites.

The RCA-Victor recordings, gathers sides recorded in the 40s, there's Cubana Be Cubana Bop written by George Russell which is a landmark, as well as Manteca..
http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/the-complete-rca-victor-recordings-dizzy-gillespie/0078636652825

Sonny Side Up with Sonny Rollins and Sonny Stitt which is set up like a jam session, a very energetic one.
http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/sonny-side-up-sonny-rollins-sonny-stitt-dizzy-gillespie/0073145214262

The concert at Massey Hall was a mess but it produced some great music.
http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/the-quintet-jazz-at-massey-hall-original-jazz-classics-remasters-charlie-parker-dizzy-gillespie-bud-powell-max-roach-charles-mingus/0088807233722

There's a "complete" version too but I don't know it: http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/jazz-at-massey-hall-the-quintet-of-the-year-bonus-track-version-charlie-parker/0887845633644

The concert in Paris at the salle Pleyel is a great one as well: http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/the-fabulous-dizzy-gillespie-pleyel-jazz-concert-1948-jazz-connoisseur-live-dizzy-gillespie/0886445914320

Afro with Chico O'Farrill: http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/afro-dizzy-gillespie/0073145170522

An unusual setting with Bernard Purdue and Toots Thielemans for a concert at Montreux: http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/digital-at-montreux-1980-dizzy-gillespie/0002521868822

Finally the little known Perceptions with a band led by Gunther Schuller and written by JJ Johnson. It has been reisssue in the 1990s, the one in the link is not released by Verve but that will do.
http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/perceptions-dizzy-gillespie/8718564797848

Sorry for the qobuz links but that's the easier way for me, maybe I should try to do a Deezer or Spotify playlist. Happy listening!

Pierre

Edit: here's a Deezer Playlist: http://www.deezer.com/playlist/2300429742

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #2,064 of 5,049
Fine choices indeed. Dizzy did get noticed while he was around, but seems not to be so much in view since he passed.
Cubana Be, Cubana Bop is a classic, didn't specify it in the Afro Cuban pieces, but definitely check it out.
The Stitt/Rollins dates were released in many forms, I have them on LP twofers, great stuff.

On a side note, I'm a TIDAL user, but don't love it. I use it because of the high resolution, cd quality aspect of it. I tried Qobuz at one point, which is high resolution, but found it even harder to navigate than TIDAL. Deezer I've read about, but my understanding was that they have a high resolution service, but to get it in the US, (the Elite, I believe), you had to have a Sonos system, which I don't have and don't want to buy more stuff. Any thoughts?

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #2,065 of 5,049
Fine choices indeed. Dizzy did get noticed while he was around, but seems not to be so much in view since he passed.

Cubana Be, Cubana Bop is a classic, didn't specify it in the Afro Cuban pieces, but definitely check it out.

The Stitt/Rollins dates were released in many forms, I have them on LP twofers, great stuff.

On a side note, I'm a TIDAL user, but don't love it. I use it because of the high resolution, cd quality aspect of it. I tried Qobuz at one point, which is high resolution, but found it even harder to navigate than TIDAL. Deezer I've read about, but my understanding was that they have a high resolution service, but to get it in the US, (the Elite, I believe), you had to have a Sonos system, which I don't have and don't want to buy more stuff. Any thoughts?

I use the free-tier of Deezer, and might try Spotify as well, as a way to discover new music or listen first to albums that I'm interested in and then if I want to buy them I do it on Qobuz of HDtracks (by the way did you try Qobuz through a VPN? Because I didn't know it was available in the USA). I tried the Hifi streaming offer on Qobuz but decided that it was a waste of money for the moment because I don't really have time to take full advantage of the subscription. I'm loyal to Qobuz as a download platform although they are not perfect, because I've used their services from the beginning and also because it's French. I haven't tried Tidal yet and refuse to use Apple Music, even try it (and I'm a Mac fan). The streaming market is still in its infancy and I agree that it's quite difficult to find a completely satisfying service. Have you tried Spotify Premium? 

cheers, Pierre

Edit: Spotify doesn't stream in cd quality, duh! So, please, ignore my question :)

Oct 7, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #2,066 of 5,049
Yeah, Spotify doesn't do CD quality, so I don't (though my 2 daughters would love if I did...they are actually the ones who do almost all the streaming, I generally listen to LPs, CD's, or computer ripped versions of the Lps and CD's.

I was able to do a trial of Qobuz a while back, didn't seem to be any issue, though, as I said, I found it even worse than TIDAL to navigate.

Oct 9, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #2,067 of 5,049
Talking of Dizzy check out "An electryfying evening with Dizzy quintet" if you haven't. Fantastic show. The man was a pure virtuoso if ever there was one.

Spotify not doing CD quality is so strange to me. At least make it an option. I don't agree with the price point of Tidal, but I also think Spotify premium is too cheap, tbh.

Oct 10, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #2,068 of 5,049
Just listened to a wonderful pairing of Stan Getz and J.J. Johnson. Outstanding! Added to this is Oscar Peterson's trio. A delight!

Oct 10, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #2,069 of 5,049
HAPPY THELONIOUS MONK BIRTHDAY!!!!

WKCR in NY always does all day birthday broadcasts, here's the link...
https://www.cc-seas.columbia.edu/wkcr/story/thelonious-monk-birthday-broadcast

Oct 10, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #2,070 of 5,049
HAPPY THELONIOUS MONK BIRTHDAY!!!!

WKCR in NY always does all day birthday broadcasts, here's the link...
https://www.cc-seas.columbia.edu/wkcr/story/thelonious-monk-birthday-broadcast

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back