OMZ 2.5A DAC just arrived
Feb 13, 2008 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

mrwinick

100+ Head-Fier
I haven't even had ten minutes to listen to it yet, but I've been looking forward to this upgrade for a long time. I upgraded from EMU 0404 USB. I'll take more time for a real comparison after I've had more time to listen, but so far I would describe the OMZ as having a substantially wider and deeper soundstage (huge difference), tighter bass and better clarity. I'm using an Imac G5, apple lossless thru VLC media player, optical input to OMZ, rca to MPX3, to HD600.
I can't believe the difference in soundstage. I am blown away. After I've had some time to compare there will be an EMU 0404 available for sale........

Feb 14, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrwinick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Latest version. Made Last week. I'll get some pictures tonight and figure out how to link to them.

I just got mine back today, also v4.1. Fedex didnt deliver until well after 7:00pm. I want to let the unit warm up, from freezing to room temperature, before I use the dac. So, I will not have any impressions until tomorrow.

Feb 14, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #8 of 28
I'm very interested in any info on the OMZ -- especially compared to 0404 USB (which I am using know, and am learning the limitations of).

Quick question: does the version that just shipped to mrwinick and sacd_lover (or any others) have a functioning toslink input? I emailed Ori and he said that starting from v4 of the DAC, there is optical toslink and coaxial.

Feb 14, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question: does the version that just shipped to mrwinick and sacd_lover (or any others) have a functioning toslink input? I emailed Ori and he said that starting from v4 of the DAC, there is optical toslink and coaxial.

Yes, there is a functioning toslink input on the current models.

Feb 15, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrwinick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am blown away.

you could be led to believe the 0404 USB is the greatest thing out give its recent hype, truth is there is much better... had a similar reaction going to the OMZ from a stock Zhaolu

somehow I'm sure that there is something better. but i don't and my wallet certainly doesn't want to venture there
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you could be led to believe the 0404 USB is the greatest thing out give its recent hype, truth is there is much better... had a similar reaction going to the OMZ from a stock Zhaolu

I think that price was the main consideration for those claims... One could buy four 0404 USBs ($125 from music123) and still have money left, versus the price of one OMZ D2.5A ($529 direct). It's no wonder the OMZ D2.5A sounds better--it should, given the price difference.
smily_headphones1.gif

The two are entirely different beasts, including different DAC chips, analog output design, and purpose. I'd be very surprised if they sounded similar at all, and I'll bet most people would find the OMZ to be a significant upgrade.

Feb 15, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that price was the main consideration for those claims... One could buy four 0404 USBs ($125 from music123) and still have money left, versus the price of one OMZ D2.5A ($529 direct). It's no wonder the OMZ D2.5A sounds better--it should, given the price difference.
smily_headphones1.gif

The two are entirely different beasts, including different DAC chips, analog output design, and purpose. I'd be very surprised if they sounded similar at all, and I'll bet most people would find the OMZ to be a significant upgrade.

of course, but pricing aside there are prachers that it's the greatest EVAR!!11!!1~

Feb 15, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Well my cheap-o-receiver with worse dacs sound better than the 0404 usb so price is not a given for quality sound.

Feb 15, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee
of course, but pricing aside there are prachers that it's the greatest EVAR!!11!!1~

I think that was just the OP of that one thread... But it did kind of read like the "all wire is the same" argument; "if something is a good value, it must be the best!" Or something.
biggrin.gif

IMO, most people shouldn't end their ultimate audio quest with the 0404 USB. It may be the best for the money, but certainly not the best compared to all possible choices. Both you and the OP of this thread made that discovery.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well my cheap-o-receiver with worse dacs sound better than the 0404 usb so price is not a given for quality sound.

Good point. Specifications don't tell the whole story, either, but they're a start. Given the amount of work Ori puts into these modifications and the R&D he must have done to arrive at the final product, I imagine he has reason to be proud of his efforts. So in this case, much of the cost is in labor, which is where it should be, and that justifies the price increase (and should make for better sound quality).

Feb 18, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #15 of 28
I have been busy so I didnt get the OMZ V4.1 hooked up until yesterday. I can say I find this version an improvement over my previous version. The sound has more transparency but still retains a nice warm tone. I liked the sound better immediately. Removing the processor in this version also seems to improve the dynamic contrasts slightly. The other advantage is I am having absolutely no trouble getting signal lock like before with the V4.0.

I am using a Sacdmods 555ES as the transport feeding an Enigma Audio coax digital IC > OMZ V4.1 > stock PPX3 SLAM > MS2i with flat pads .... the sound is all most people would hope for and I am definitely impressed.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back