OMG what have I done
Aug 31, 2007 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

anadin

Headphoneus Supremus
To cut a long story short I purchased a pair of SENNHEISER HD600's last week and absolutley loved the sound quality in every way from these cans.

But I kept getting this voice inside my head saying if you think these are good can you imagine what the SENNHEISER HD650's will sound like.

In the end I buckled and returned the HD600's and the shop agreed to exchange them for a pair of HD650's.

I have had the HD650's for around 3 days and to be perfectly honest I hate the sound that is coming from these cans.

The highs are so excruciating to my ears that I cringe at almost every note.

I keep taking them off just to see if anyone has stuck cotton wool into my ears, I know understand why these cans are tarnished with the "veil" trait.

They sound truly dire to my ears and in my opinion the SENNHEISER HD600's are sooooo much better in every way.

It looks like ebay will have a new pair of HD650's very soon.

I want my HD600's back and fast
frown.gif

Aug 31, 2007 at 9:13 AM Post #2 of 58
A hard way to learn that the bigger the model number =/= the better 'phone.

Aug 31, 2007 at 9:24 AM Post #4 of 58
Well, you learned the hard way!
tongue.gif

Higher model number don't always mean higher sound quality (to your ears).

Aug 31, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #5 of 58
It has certainly taught me a lesson.

I have them on as I type this, they are running through a X-CANv3 amp, I cannot understand how anyone can enjoy these cans they are torture to my ears, I keep thinking that the shrill and the "veil" will disappear but after 3 days nothing has changed, something incredible will have to happen to the SQ for me to keep these.

The HD600's sounded wonderful after around 3-5 hours burn in through my X-CANv3.

Aug 31, 2007 at 9:31 AM Post #6 of 58
I've heard a lot of people say they prefer the 600. Take em back to the shop and ask to return and buy 600 again, if not then a straight awap will still sound better to you. Even if you lost money to find that out, it was a learning experience.

Aug 31, 2007 at 9:46 AM Post #7 of 58
Quote:

I cannot understand how anyone can enjoy these cans they are torture to my ears, I keep thinking that the shrill and the "veil" will disappear

Wait a minute. You're saying they are shrill AND veiled? I've heard several people say that the HD650 is harsh, and I can sort of understand this, but both harsh and veiled at the same time? Which is it? They are kind of mutually exclusive.

Yet another thread where people find huge difference in two cans that are closer to being identical than any other two sets of headphones. I'll never understand it...

Aug 31, 2007 at 9:50 AM Post #8 of 58
Well maybe "shrill" was the wrong word, harsh maybe a better description.

What I hear with the HD650's is a good can that is locked up and can't get out.

There is a blanket of sound that I hear, almost like cotton wool is embedded in my ears.

None of that probably makes any sense but one thing I do know is these are not the cans for me.

Give me the HD600's any day.

Aug 31, 2007 at 9:53 AM Post #9 of 58
Quote:

They are simply not for me, no burn in is going to change these cans.

Well, I certainly won't argue with you about the burn-in comment.
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #12 of 58
Did you try going back to the shop, and seeing if they still had your old HD600's there, and switch them back?

Aug 31, 2007 at 12:10 PM Post #13 of 58
Head-Fi syndrome!!!

Me I love the phones I bought, I have no inclination whatsoever to buy another headphone amp or anything. I just browse here comes I think the forum community is really great.

Man that really blows, I hope you get your 600s back. If you love the sound, why change it?

Well I hope someone here is reading this topic thinking, Man I want my 650s back, these 600s blow.

The shop you exchanged your phones, they didn't let you try the 650s before you exchanged them?

Aug 31, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #14 of 58
Quote:

But I kept getting this voice inside my head saying if you think these are good can you imagine what the SENNHEISER HD650's will sound like.

I think we can all relate to the 'voices in the head' syndrome
icon10.gif
Even when I've been really happy with something, there's always the "Hmmm, well if THIS sounds good. . ."
Now I've learnt to be happy with 'really really good' instead of yearning for more, mind you, it's taken a while
frown.gif

Aug 31, 2007 at 12:27 PM Post #15 of 58
how much u wan to let ur hd650 go?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back