omg i love my new monoprice 5" studio monitors!!
Aug 28, 2015 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

zentg

Aka: Beztis, Darien
hey guys i asked for a while what speakers and stuff i should get but i finally got my monoprice speakers setup today, and i was blown away!! i was actually stressing that they wouldn't sound as good or would sound the same as my logitech z323 2.1 speakers cus they dont have a sub LOLOL - they sound better than anything i have ever bought and the base on them alone is perfrect imo. im listening to my songs and am hearing sounds i have never heard before!! they sound better than my logitech g35 7.1 headset too!!!!

it was weird cus i listened to them for bout 20 minutes and felt blown away with awe.....hearing all the little sounds in songs i never heard before and the music felt like an invisible movie that wrapped around my whole body! then I went for a walk, and i could feel my ears popping like when you get on an air plane, is that my inner ears evolving into audiophile ears?

for comparison, heres the old logitech next to the monoprice

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 17
Interesting.  I wonder how they compare with similarly priced speakers like the Fostex PM0.4n?

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 17
  Interesting.  I wonder how they compare with similarly priced speakers like the Fostex PM0.4n?

i dont know much about fostex but before buying these I had a bunch of people tell me on these forums and other places online that monoprice is an excellent bang for buck in sound quality and can compete with many speakers at twice the price range. I will say I was very impressed and happy with the build quality and finish of these speakers as far as how they feel and look a lot more expensive then they are. also the pic doesn't come close to doing it justice lol, its cloudy here today and dark in my room D: and thank you guys for recommending the monoprice, they are 100% EXACTLY what I was looking for :)

listening to beatles now, omg they never sounded so good in my living room!! 

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 17
Did you get a DAC?

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #5 of 17
  Did you get a DAC?

no i didn't get the dac yet, but a couple people said i probably wouldn't notice much difference also I do have a gigabyte motherboard with a pretty decent onboard sound card (With latest windows 10 drivers) (my computer is a pretty good gaming computer that i bought parts and put together myself), and even When I play the music loudly I am not hearing any interference or beeps from my computer so I think I should be ok. I may buy a portable dac later for my sennheiser headphones though.

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 17
  No I didn't get the DAC yet, but a couple people said i probably wouldn't notice much difference also I do have a gigabyte motherboard with a pretty decent on-board sound card (With latest windows 10 drivers) (my computer is a pretty good gaming computer that i bought parts and put together myself), and even When I play the music loudly I am not hearing any interference or beeps from my computer so I think I should be ok. I may buy a portable DAC later for my Sennheiser headphones though.

What model and revision # is your gigabyte motherboard?

Aug 28, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #9 of 17
  GA-970A-DS3P Revision 1.0

Audio: 
  • Realtek® ALC887 audio codec
  • High Definition Audio
  • 2/4/5.1/7.1-channel
  • Support for S/PDIF Out

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4591#sp

Here are some used Sound Blaster Z sound cards, current bids are around $30 (shipping is $8-$12).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291546965408?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171905789861?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They come with the CS4398 DAC chip, should be better then the Gigabyte's DAC feature.
and they have a separate amplified headphone jack, as well as the line-output jack for the speakers.

Aug 28, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #10 of 17

Here are some used Sound Blaster Z sound cards, current bids are around $30 (shipping is $8-$12).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291546965408?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171905789861?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They come with the CS4398 DAC chip, should be better then the Gigabyte's DAC feature.
and they have a separate amplified headphone jack, as well as the line-output jack for the speakers.

cool thanks, would that be better than the fiio e10k usb dac? i had my eye on the e10k and would rather buy that if its better.

Aug 28, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #11 of 17
  cool thanks, would that be better than the fiio e10k usb dac? i had my eye on the e10k and would rather buy that if its better.

Nothing wrong with getting the E10K.
The E10K is external, so will not be effected by any electrical noise that might be inside the computer case
and it's headphone amplifier has a much lower output impedance :)
The >1-Ohm output impedance of the E10K's headphone jack is more desirable then the SB-Z's 22-Ohm impedance of it's headphone jack.
So go for the E10K.

Aug 28, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #12 of 17
for comparison, heres the old logitech next to the monoprice

Not surprising it sounds very good to you. Congrats :)

And now you've learned that tiny driver speakers like those Logitechs rarely complete well with decent larger ones.

Monoprices's cloned speaker designs have a reputation for being very good. For instance, their surround speaker set that is based on the Energy Take Classic design (the 2nd gen, not the 1st gen that probably was the Energy Takes components rebranded) is reported to sound as good, but is cheaper than the Energys.

Aug 30, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #14 of 17
hey i dont know if this was happening yesterday, but im noticing them today....when i dont have any sound coming from my computer and my computer is on i constantly hear a slight buzz from my speakers - is that because i dont have a dac and am using onbaord sound card? would getting a dac resolve this?

also is this buzz damaging my speakers in the time i wait til my dac comes in the mail?

update: i just unplugged the 3.5mm cable to my computer in the back and plugged it back in and now the buzzing is gone...should i be ok now?

Aug 30, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #15 of 17
hey i dont know if this was happening yesterday, but im noticing them today....when i dont have any sound coming from my computer and my computer is on i constantly hear a slight buzz from my speakers - is that because i dont have a dac and am using onbaord sound card? would getting a dac resolve this?

also is this buzz damaging my speakers in the time i wait til my dac comes in the mail?

update: i just unplugged the 3.5mm cable to my computer in the back and plugged it back in and now the buzzing is gone...should i be ok now?
it's not going to damage them. It's just the noise floor of the gigabyte motherboard outputs. The fiio should put an end to all of that though. Nothing to worry about, it's just kind of annoying when you don't have anything playing :)

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back