Olympus DSLR Appreciation Thread
Apr 1, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #137 of 159
I just got my E-410 a couple weeks ago with the 14-42 and 40-150 mm kit lenses from Futureshop.ca in Canada on sale. Brand new, it cost me 465 canadian after shipping and taxes - which is 365 USD at the current exchange. That price for a new SLR with two lenses sounds pretty damn cheap to me.

I'm just learning the ropes as it's my first SLR but here are a couple shots I took on my second day of owning it:

First one is with the 14-42 and the second is at full zoom with the 40-150.

Garden1.jpg

Squirrel1.jpg

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #138 of 159
Congrats on your new camera. I think Olympus represents the best value for the consumer/entry level DSLR market. Their kit lenses seem to be of better quality than those of their competitors too.

If you're thinking of getting any additional lenses, check out the 50mm macro. It's versatile enough that I use it as a walkaround lens more often than not.

I'm still waiting to see jpelg's shots with the 25mm pancake lens.

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #139 of 159
Apr 1, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #140 of 159
The I.S. certainly may be an advantage I'm not sure at this point if it's something I need, still it looks like a nice camera. I'm still humming and hawing about some new glass I guess I'm pretty happy with the 410 for the money.

puddle.jpg

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #141 of 159
Yeah, I find myself deleting a lot of my shots (mainly from inexperience) but it makes me wonder whether I.S. would make them consistently better. I guess in a way though, having a camera without it will force me to learn better than a higher-tech camera would - and when I upgrade, I'll be golden.

I'd love to have a 50mm macro lens but it's just damn expensive.

The 25mm pancake on the other hand, is a bit cheaper.

I'd like to own one of them just to have something that's better in low-light photography, I want a good lens for concert photos.

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #143 of 159
Just converted an old hexanon pancake lens to use on the 410 here are 2 shots from my first foray into the wild with it.
Just playing with it, it's a 1.8 40mm so it's pretty fast not sure about street shooting field of view with it but probably
would be nice for portraits. Different to focus with a much shallower d.o.f.

P4231234.jpg

P4231195.jpg

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #144 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still waiting to see jpelg's shots with the 25mm pancake lens.

Unfortunately, this gem was never really used these past few months, and is up for sale here.

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #145 of 159
Good luck with the sale. You didn't mention anything about a memory card in your for sale post.

I'm still really curious about the pancake lens.

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #146 of 159
wow didn't know there was a thread on olympus! Great to see some people appreciate the 4/3 over canikon
smily_headphones1.gif

I personally can't wait for the E-5 announcement

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #147 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You didn't mention anything about a memory card in your for sale post.

Thanks, erik.

It uses either CF or xD cards. No card included (doesn't come with one f/Olympus). Keeping what I have for use with my Konica/Minolta 7D, unless that sells first, in which case I'll keep the E420.

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #148 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5Zilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow didn't know there was a thread on olympus! Great to see some people appreciate the 4/3 over canikon
smily_headphones1.gif

I personally can't wait for the E-5 announcement

Unfortunately, a lot of the thread was me defending Olympus to the masses.

Glad to have you aboard!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #149 of 159
The Canon/Nikon crowd is rather defensive and quick to point out how vastly inferior the competition is. I feel that there are dSLR alternatives worth considering for those who don't want to spend thousands on the pro level Canon or Nikon systems. If you plan on earning a living as a photographer, I could see how you could justify the extra cost as an investment but for me as an amateur the differences in image quality do not offset the extra size, weight, and cost.

Oct 13, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #150 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Canon/Nikon crowd is rather defensive and quick to point out how vastly inferior the competition is. I feel that there are dSLR alternatives worth considering for those who don't want to spend thousands on the pro level Canon or Nikon systems. If you plan on earning a living as a photographer, I could see how you could justify the extra cost as an investment but for me as an amateur the differences in image quality do not offset the extra size, weight, and cost.

Each person has their balance point. ^_^
But, I'm still not convinced an Olympus setup is much cheaper than either a nikon or canon........

That's ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back