Olympic Games 2008 thread - Sports only!
Aug 20, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #136 of 160
^ Grumpy, grumpy, grumpy. Bah humbug.

--

Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah!!!! First medal to Israel in Beijing 2008
biggrin.gif

Bronze Medal to Shahar Zubari (windsurfer) :]

Congratulations to Israel.

Aug 20, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #137 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Grumpy, grumpy, grumpy. Bah humbug.

OK then tell me why, knowing that each substracted fractions of seconds have a price tag, I should respect a champion who almost crossed the line walking during the 100M? Did he offered his very best? The answer is no. Why? Please find me an answer to that simple question that can be respectfull of the Olympic ideal.

To become a new sport idol, gees I hate this word, he had to offer his very best and not conduct himself as a business man. Yes it's probably me but I'm inclined to like people with integrity and not ulterior motivations.

Amicalement

EDIT: Just as a side note. Many years ago, Ben Johnson (Mr. Steriod) coach went completely crazy when he saw the result of Ben after a canadian event. He stormed the officials because they were giving a much too good result to Ben. Yes what a tragedy for their business plan....

Aug 21, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #138 of 160
genetic,
the olympic goal is to win, to be the world's best in that discipline. bolt not only did that (twice, in an astounding way), he also broke the world record (twice, in an astounding way), making him the best sprinter ever (with the possible exception of emperor nero, who won over 1800 competitions, some without even attending.)

conducting himself like a businessman?
if that is your attempt at setting the world record in bad comparisons, well done
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #139 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
genetic,
the olympic goal is to win,

The Olympic Creed:

Quote:

"The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well."

The Olympic Oath:

Quote:

"In the name of all the competitors I promise that we shall take part in these Olympic Games, respecting and abiding by the rules which govern them, committing ourselves to a sport without doping and without drugs, in the true spirit of sportsmanship, for the glory of sport and the honour of our teams."

Anyway, he's got a bright future ahead of him!

Aug 21, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #141 of 160
It seems that I'm not alone in my severe judgement of Bolt conduct:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/210820...c-s-rogge.html

BTW I desagree in part with the orientation that Rogue took in his evaluation. Sportsmanship is so hard to show in the few seconds folowing a sports where you have to build a monstruous ego only to survive. Also, obviously Bolt has probably not reach yet the same level of understanding of his place in the Olympic history. In that regard Phelps (about the same age as Bolt but chances are that he got a lot better coaching/guidance team) would merit medal # 9.

My point remains intact: I dont like seeing an individual, who the last time I checked was running not for himself but for his country, put the brake in public just to make a point. He placed himself before Jamaica. If he had acted like he did in the 100m outside the Olympic I would have said nothing.

Amicalement

Aug 21, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #142 of 160
British nitpicking about sportmanship and general conduct in sports. It is almost as hilarious as listening Russians whine about how everybody else is picking on them - all against Russia. Reminds me Duggeh's thread here about Terry Pratchett and his illness. Sour grapes I tell ya.

Aug 21, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #143 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by argentum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
British nitpicking about sportmanship and general conduct in sports.

OK.....what about American nitpicking....?
tongue.gif

''He is also apparently not subjected to particularly stringent antidoping standards at home.
Jamaica does not have an independent out-of-competition screening program, considered the only reasonably effective way to catch drug users. Some of the Jamaican Olympic performances have raised eyebrows, with great leaps in a sport in which improvement usually comes by hundredths of a second.''

From this source:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/22/sp...22longman.html

Amicalement

Aug 21, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #144 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems that I'm not alone in my severe judgement of Bolt conduct:

Bolt must show more respect for his rivals, says IOC's Rogge - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

BTW I desagree in part with the orientation that Rogue took in his evaluation. Sportsmanship is so hard to show in the few seconds folowing a sports where you have to build a monstruous ego only to survive. Also, obviously Bolt has probably not reach yet the same level of understanding of his place in the Olympic history. In that regard Phelps (about the same age as Bolt but chances are that he got a lot better coaching/guidance team) would merit medal # 9.

My point remains intact: I dont like seeing an individual, who the last time I checked was running not for himself but for his country, put the brake in public just to make a point. He placed himself before Jamaica. If he had acted like he did in the 100m outside the Olympic I would have said nothing.

Amicalement

So? A stadium of 90 million enjoyed it, his other competitors were in awe, Jamaica is in rapturous celebration and the rest of the world applauds him. We were captivated by both his performance and the joy he brought in his celebration. He's good for the sport and its fans - stop complaining like an old geriatric with nothing better to do.

Aug 21, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #145 of 160
Quote:

OK then tell me why, knowing that each substracted fractions of seconds have a price tag, I should respect a champion who almost crossed the line walking during the 100M?

Oh I'm not big into who should respect who. That's up to the individual. I don't necessarily disagree about Bolt's actions either. However I do wonder what positive there is to hammering the point. We get it. Now let us decide for ourselves. That's the last I'll say about it.

--

I watched Brazil play the United States in women's soccer this morning, and WOW, what a match. How the U.S. won is beyond me. It seemed the Brazilians dominated possession and had more quality looks. I'm no soccer expert though; only watch during the Olympics and World Cup.

Also, not to be too red, white, and blue (the U.S. wins more than its share) but tip-o- hat to our women's volleyball team who beat nemesis and unbeaten Cuba for a chance at gold - first time in 24 years IIRC. Good job ladies. Logan Tom, you're my hero!

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #146 of 160
Quote:

Oh I'm not big into who should respect who. That's up to the individual. I don't necessarily disagree about Bolt's actions either. However I do wonder what positive there is to hammering the point. We get it. Now let us decide for ourselves. That's the last I'll say about it.

In two separate occasions (posts) you acted as a wiseguy and attacked me. What you see as ..hammering is in fact responding to someone who post and play ''hide and seek''...

I simply asked you this:

Quote:

OK then tell me why, knowing that each substracted fractions of seconds have a price tag, I should respect a champion who almost crossed the line walking during the 100M? Did he offered his very best? The answer is no. Why? Please find me an answer to that simple question that can be respectfull of the Olympic ideal.

But you prefer avoiding to answer my main questions. Yes you missed understanding the Olympic ethic even here....
wink.gif

Quote:

Oh I'm not big into who should respect who. That's up to the individual.

See????? When they are on the podium they represent their country not themselves. So at the end (and during) an event they have to act with an higher norm of conduct.

Amicalement

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #147 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTRacer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So? (...) stop complaining like an old geriatric with nothing better to do.

Can you feel the love....
tongue.gif

EDIT: I should go and find the Floyd Landis thread where many posters were insulting other members who were ''crazy enough'' to doubt Landis honesty...

Aug 22, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #150 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Olympic Creed: ...
The Olympic Oath: ...

well, yes, that's the watered-down modern olympic spirit
biggrin.gif

i was talking about the original olympic spirit, which was: win the laurel - or be forgotten. the old greeks weren't much interested in second place, or in records.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back