Ollo audio: Pro headphones from Slovenia
Jan 15, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #121 of 164
Received the Ollo S4X via DHL. Super fast shipping even with the customs hang-up in Slovenia.
20210115_192714.jpg20210115_192723.jpg20210115_192732.jpg

No fuss packaging is simple and not much else to talk about.

The build quality and design is quite good considering the product is from a boutique company. Included cable is nice, with red rubber sleeve above the splitter, and braided sleeving below. It's a good length and while some may find it tacky, I like the custom cable feel. The only negative is the loud ringing from the metal headband, and the suspension system gets quite loud when making adjustments.

Comfort is quite good (for me) despite the smaller pad size and lack of vertical swivel. while they take some time to get into a comfortable position due to the pads smaller inner opening, once securely in place, it's quite comfortable without noticeable hotspots. At 350g, weight isn't terrible considering the wooden earcups.

Now quick first impression........

Upon initial listen out of Topping's D90/A90 stack, and all technicality aside, these have the best tonal balance out of all the HPs I currently own. This is the closest thing (that I own) to a speaker setup in a treated room. I'm not talking about the stereo imaging, but rather how balanced they are across the FR. This will definitely be my new 'reference,' and sit pretty darn close to my definition of 'flat.' Timbre is on point for me as well. With that, it's possible some may find these boring or veiled, but for me, they are immensely enjoyable. Will need to spend extra time before passing judgement regarding soundstage, resolution, imaging/separation, transient response, and etc. And finally, these can be easily driven from almost any source.

If you are "conditioned" to HPs with colored or extreme sound signature (v-shaped or otherwise), you may not appreciate these initially, and may require extra time to get readjusted to the sound.

All in all, extremely pleased.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #123 of 164
Wrote Ollo S4X review: link.

DSC09763.jpg
Thank you for your review! This is a good example of how a good review should look like.

I really like your reviews, so keep doing what you are doing! Your writing style is very enjoyable and you know how to express yourself well =)

Jan 17, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #124 of 164
S4X is the epitome of neutral/natural/flat/reference/balanced... or just on point.
For me, it's tonal balance is what makes the S4X a great set.

Consequently, this is a perfect set of headphone for acoustics, jazz, vocal, instrumental, slower genres and intimate recordings in general. Drums and acoustic guitars sound so good.

And I would say these are more semi-open than open.

But they can't all be good news right?
It is definitely no slouch, but I do feel like the drivers sometimes lag behind slightly on busy passages, heavily layered or fast-paced tracks.

I'm genuinely surprised these don't gain much traction, but I guess they don't fit the audiophile snobbery standard, so makes sense.

I'll be patiently waiting for their next closed-back endeavor.

Feb 22, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #125 of 164
Hey guys! Here's my in-depth review of the Ollo Audio S4X Reference-tuned headphones with some insight into the world of reference tuning, measurements and pro use. Have a read and let me know if you have any questions for me. Cheers! :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #126 of 164
Jun 16, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #127 of 164
Mmmm. Should I try these?

Jun 16, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #129 of 164
So far:
Beyerdynamic(5)
Meze
B&W
Grado(2)

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #130 of 164
So far:
Beyerdynamic(5)
Meze
B&W
Grado(2)
Good Job.
Take the Journey, as that is the end game.
Its the journey. The fun is the journey.
My latest are the HEKSE, and the Audio Tech ADX500, and i think 4 more in the last month, including some audeze.
I'll post for you a partial list of Can's ive owned or still own, as ive been on this journey for a while.
This is about 60% of my Journey, as i kinda got tired of posting to my bio here, ..
check this out.
-
Aeon Flow-C

Audeze EL-8o

Audeze Sine

Audeze XC

Audeze LCD-X

Audeze LCD - GX

Audeze LCD-2

Audeze LCD-3

Audio Technica A-1000Z

Audio Technica ATH-R70x

Audio Technica MSR7gm

Audio Technica ATH-AWKT

AKG NC60 (wireless)

AKG K371

AKG K551SLV

AKG 702-65th

AKG K712-Pro

AKG K857

AKG K267 Tiesto

Blue Mofi

Blue Ella

BANG & OLUFSEN BeoPlay H6

B&W P7

BeyerDynamic DT770

BeyerDynamic Lagoon ANC

Bose Quiet Comfort 25

Bose Quiet Comfort 35 II

Dan Clark Audio Aeon C

Dan Clark Audio Aeon v2C

Dan Clark Audio Aeon X

Focal Elex

Focal Spirit Pro

Focal Clear

Focal Radiance

Focal Clear MG

Fostex TH-500RP

Fostex T50RP-Mk3 ( Quality value)

Final Audio Design Sonorous IV

KEF M500

German Maestro GMP 435 S,

Grado PS-500E

Grado GW100-v2

Grado RS2

Grado Hemp

HifiMan HE-400

Hifiman HE-400i

Hifiman HE-400s

Hifiman HE-560

Hifiman Edition S

Hifiman Sundara

Hifiman Ananda

Hifiman Arya

Hifiman Edition X v2

Hifiman HE1000

Kennerton LSA - HP1

Kennerton LSA-HP2

Master & Dynamic MW65

Master & Dynamic MW40

Meze Empyeron

Mountblanc NC

Mr Speakers Alpha Prime

NAD Electronics VISO

Neumann NDH-20

OLLO 4xs

Philips X2

Phonon SMB-O2

PSB M4U 1

Quad ERA-1

Rosson Rad - 0

Sennheiser HD1

Sennheiser HD-560S

Sennheiser HD-598

Sennheiser HD-600

Sennheiser HD650

Sennheiser HD-630VB

Sennheiser HD-660S

Sennheiser HD-700

Sennheiser HD-800S

Shure SRH1840

Sony MDR-MA900

Sony MDR-7520

Ultrasone Pro 550S

Ultrason Edition 14 Hex

Ultrasone Edition M

Yamaha Pro 500

Yamaha HPH-MT8

ZMF Atticus

ZMF Aelous

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #133 of 164
It might be easier to list the ones you haven't owned yet :wink:

Susvara & HEKv2 and Sennheiser HE1 and most of the "5" series Senns, tho i reviewed the HE560S.
Have not tried the most expensive Abyss, but i use the 1266, and its getting me pretty close.

Its been a great ride.
I started with a Set of Pioneer Cups, the big plastic closed ones, and i forget the model.
They originally belonged to my stepmother's Dad, who bought them in the '70s.
From there i bought a set of HD600s and that was when i really started to pursue this joyful journey.
I was hooked.

Reader.....If you want to be happy being a headphone audiophile..., and get the most out of it, then stop trying to concern yourself with finding the "best".
This does not exist universally, tho each maker has their Totl., so that is THEIR best, .....but will it be the best for you does not matter. What matters is if you hear it.
Thats the journey.
So, just get away from that "best" concern, and instead just enjoy the process of hearing the next one and the next one.....
Find your joy in that journey, and you're never wasting your money.
Or, if you have a set or two or three that make you happy everytime you hear them, and this gives you a satisfied heart, then, you are good to go.
No need to chase the journey if you are happy with your gear.... Save your money for a house or a Volvo.
But if you need to know.......then, off you go.

Currently my favorite is the HEKSE.
And one of the reasons i enjoy it so much, is because it produces a musical experience and a detail retrieval experience.
Generally these Totl gears give you a specific "what we do best" "is why we cost so much".
The HEKSE, is analytical and offers pure listening enjoyment that i find very immersive.
Im sure the Susvara offers slightly more detail overall, but enough reviews find it warmer than the HEKSE, and so, i dont need warmer.
I look to Empyreans for that listening aspect.

Have fun., as that is the end game.
I posted a long list of headphones, and ive owned a lot more, and i never pursued this journey to be in a competition..., i only pursue it out of love.
I LOVE TO LISTEN. Its an obsession for me.
I have 3.

1. Acoustic Guitars
2. Cameras
3. Headphones

"have FUN" as Headphones get you high and you dont need to take a drug.
Its a way to be alone and receive the most "legal" enjoyment.
Headphones offer a contact high, and that is their magic discovered, again and again.

Also.....*protect your hearing* as you'll need it later on.

How do i do that?
I always wear ear-plugs if im out.
Really.
If, Im in a gym, im wearing earplugs, as they play the music too loud.
Earplugs prevent hearing loss, and you should have some available all the time, ....in case you end up in a sustained "loud" situation that you can't control.
They are not going to turn it down, so, you turn it down with earplugs.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #134 of 164
Not sure if the my next pair is ollo,DT 1990,sundara or another Grado

Users who are viewing this thread

Back