Ollo audio: Pro headphones from Slovenia
Sep 5, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #91 of 164
Yes they told me that they weren’t happy with the new version of the closed back they were trying to develop. They said they’re not gonna release a new version of the S4R until they have a better version of it. They said it might be a year from now before they come out with a new closed back. So if you want one, you better get it. I ordered three.

Sep 5, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #92 of 164
Yes they told me that they weren’t happy with the new version of the closed back they were trying to develop. They said they’re not gonna release a new version of the S4R until they have a better version of it. They said it might be a year from now before they come out with a new closed back. So if you want one, you better get it. I ordered three.
interesting! The S4R is very, very good! Combined with the S4X pads it's a darn good and comfortable closed back.

Sep 6, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #93 of 164
A closed-back as great as the S4X would be something else!

Sep 19, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #94 of 164
Does the S4X headband fit on the S4R? Thinking of upgrading. I do plan on getting the S4X pads.

Nov 2, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #103 of 164
Well, since my local (Québec) distributor has them on sale, I took the plunge on the S4X. Hopefully they'll be the open back headphone I'm looking for to complement my Aeon Flow Closed RT.

Nov 8, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #105 of 164
Well, I've received them this Friday and I've been using them on and off since then, both enjoying the music and testing them against my other headphones. Here are a few impressions:

- BASS is well extended and present, with great texture (I can hear the bass string on certain songs). And it is not bloated as other headphones, nor does it overpowers the rest of the frequency range.

-SOUND is mostly neutral, as they claim. The mid-range and vocals are well represented. Treble, while it is there and well defined, is a bit behind the bass however: songs that are bass heavy (I'm listening to REVEREND BIZARRE right now) can sound dark and closed in because of this.

-ATTACK and DECAY seem to be very good on the S4X: I can really feel the pressure from the drums and it does give the S4X a very lively sound, compared to my other headphones (Hifiman Sundaras, Mr Speakers/DCA Aeon Flow Closed RT, Koss ESP/95x with Vesper Audio pads, Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-2). That said, none of my other headphones have excellent bass extension. On the other side, the decay of the treble notes appear very natural: you can really hear the strings on songs that are quieter, as well as slight difference in different notes.

-TRANSIENT response seems very good: I'm playing songs with several instruments (RUSH, PORCUPINE TREE, METALLICA) and they do not get congested, unless the song is very bass heavy. They are quite revealing, and some songs that are less well mastered (80s metal on vinyl) do sound pretty terrible on the S4X.

-OPEN, these are not. They are at best semi-open, and pretty close to, well, closed headphones. Putting my hands on the back of the cups doe not affect the sound, unlike the Sundaras or the ESP/95X. There is not that much soundstage to speak of, but instruments are well separated and you can pinpoint the instruments when the song calls for it (such as in RUSH - Tom Sawyer).

That said, I do not know if I am keeping them at the moment. As much as I like the sound, there is the matter of:

-COMFORT, or lack thereof. The pads are small, even smaller than the Sundara's (which I already find too small), and they quickly become uncomfortable for me and my (admittedly on the large-side) ears. I am constantly shifting them around, never finding a spot where they are completely around my ears. I am trying to wear them slightly on-the-ear (just on the tip), and that seems to work... for a while. My girlfriend does find them comfortable enough however.

All-in-all, I'd say they are worth a listen at the very least: the sound is quite well balanced and well-defined. They have remarkable bass extension for a semi-open headphone and they do reveal some sounds my other headphones seem to miss in some songs (especially in quieter passages). They work very well with Progressive Rock albums and do work well with other genres, even Metal, as long as the songs are well-recorded and mastered. If they are not, they will sound terrible on the S4X.

If anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to answer them if I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back