Olive Oil injected RCA cable...
Jan 13, 2010 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

sokolov91

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

I'm not really big with cables, but I noticed these on ebay, they were cheap and offered something different. Yes they are made in China, *GASP* but they are an interesting concept. My understanding of electronics is admittedly very limited, especially compared to people in this forum, but I know oil does not conduct electricity
biggrin.gif

Anyone think this is a good idea/ worth a try?

OLIVE - OIL Pure Silver Audio Cable RCA (1M x 2) - eBay (item 270513329987 end time Jan-13-10 11:07:26 PST)

Thanks

Jan 13, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #3 of 59
Pure man version of snake oil cables
smily_headphones1.gif
On the serious side, I suppose oil intended to protect wires from oxidizing. And it looks/feel cool and geeky.

Jan 13, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #4 of 59
Strange, this isn't the first time I've seen RCA interconnects like this. Another interesting concept is the ribbon RCA cable.

Jan 13, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #5 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the serious side, I suppose oil intended to protect wires from oxidizing.

Then you wouldn't want to use something that turns rancid like olive oil.

se

Jan 13, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #7 of 59
sounds like itll stink!

even though this reeks (pun intended) of bullsh!t, why couldnt they use mineral oil, which wouldnt go sour?

Jan 13, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #8 of 59
Definitely, definitely not. I mean, I thought the concept of expensive cables was far fetched to begin with, but this is just a new level of insanity. It doesn't even say what purpose the oil serves!

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #9 of 59
actually oil has been used with some dielectrics (mainly natural fibers like cotton or silk) for quite some time and not just snake oil type. I havent looked at that one, but one of my favorite wires is a silver foil in silk and yes mineral oil. the idea being that the oil draws moisture away from the natural fibres which would normally absorb it, meaning the surrounding dielectric is closer to the ideal ie: air. the main disadvantage I have found with this type of conductor is that its really willful, doesnt like to bend in any direction that isnt across the wide part. its fine for internal wiring in amps etc, but for any cable that has to move around or even at home in limited space its a bit of a PITA.

do you think its extra virgin olive oil?
tongue.gif
certainly is a strange choice of oil; cables that go rancid doesnt really appeal, I wonder what the used by date is? by the time it becomes burnt in it will have gone off
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #12 of 59
The official cable of Rachel Ray! Put some EVOO on that!

As a side note, oiled cotton is a fine dielectric.

Suspended in olive oil? I suppose static electricity would have a hard time building up. At $40 they are a steal, I could punch a hole in them if I got hungry and dribble a bit onto some delicious crostini.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back