Older 3V Airhead vs. New 4.5V Total Airhead
May 12, 2002 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jpelg

Needs a regular fix of 'Fi
'06 Nat Meet Co-Coordinator
The very week after I returned my 4.5V Total Airhead to Headroom, I stumbled upon a fellow head-fier selling an older 3V Airhead for forty clams. Not having the financial resources just yet to get the amp I really want for my AKG 501's, and having read in posts here that the older Airheads did not exhibit some of the annoying traits I found in the new model, I decided to give it a whirl. After it arrived in the mail today, I put it thru a few quick preliminary paces. I thought that some poor soul might be interested in reading my observations. Keep in mind that the older 3V model I have now is just an Airhead, while the 4.5V model I had purchased from HR was a new Total Airhead.

Build quality -
---------------
It is here that HR's cost cutting measures to sell the new models at lower prices are immediately apparent. The outer shell of the older model (3V) was obviously made with greater care then the new model (4.5V). The black coloring of the casing has no variations as seen on the 4.5V. The fit and finish of the top and bottom portions on this 3V seem to have closer tolerances between them as well. The battery compartment cover fits perfectly flush with the rest of the case and snaps closed with authority, all unlike the 4.5. Also the battery clips inside seem to be of better quality on this 3V too (HR's address info is also silkscreened inside too on this one, while the new ones are stark white inside).

On the 3V, the AC adapter input port is well-integrated with the side of the casing, while the new 4.5V model simply has a small cut out around which were large, visible scratches on the outer casing on the 4.5V I received (presumably from the manufacturing process, not sure). The top half of the case on the old 3V has a nice raised Airhead logo and other icons as part of the plastic mold, while the new 4.5V simply has a sticker on the top of the case. The 3V has slightly larger power & crossfeed-filter switches than the 4.5V. The volume pot on the 3V is much thicker, giving a more solid feeling and easier to grip with your thumb. The only nicety lacking on the older model is a power LED present on the 4.5V.

Sound Quality -
---------------
Many of you may say that all of the above cosmetic differences and small details are not important, especially if the tradeoff is better sound quality. All I can say is that the sound coming out of my current 3V model blows away the 4.5V model I had. After my unpleasant bout with the 4.5V, I was almost ready to sell my AKG's to a good home with a proper amp. Thank goodness I waited.

First of all the volume pot is absolutely SILENT! No crackling, nothing! Also the crossfeed filter has a much more noticable effecton this one. I can easily discern when it is on or off with this 3V model, while I was not with the 4.5V model. I am still trying to decide if the frequency cutoff is worth the increased spaciousness. So far I do. If this is "lower-fi", I will take it anytime, thank you.

Running on two AA's, this 3V model clips at the maximum volume setting, particulary on demanding classical tracks with low bass. But I never listen that loud anyway - settings between 5-9 (out of 10) are perfectly fine for any music type. I have not tried it yet with an external power supply. I don't recall if the 4.5V clipped mostly because it was so unlistenable with the crackling volume pot.

Conclusion -
---------------
Well I now have a solution that will tide me over for a while until I get the money for a really good home amp. It is clear that the AKG's respond with each increment of amp quality that is thrown at them. My advice is, if you want a portable commercially produced amp and want to stay within the US, try to find an older 3V Airhead or TA model from someone trading up. At around one-sixth the cost of a new TA with shipping, it is an undeniable value.

May 12, 2002 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 14
The crackling pot on the new TA is supposedly a design tradeoff that allowed better sound when you're not turning the volume knob
confused.gif

I can see that this wouldn't work for me either--as I turn the pot so much during music that you can consider me to be using it as a 'manual dynamics compressor'
eek.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 12, 2002 at 6:14 AM Post #3 of 14
The switches, pot, external power connector, headphone jack(s) and the case are identical on the (old) 3V airhead, and all of the new family of airheads.

May 12, 2002 at 11:58 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by danny
The switches, pot, external power connector, headphone jack(s) and the case are identical on the (old) 3V airhead, and all of the new family of airheads.

This is absolutely impossible. The inclusion of the power LED on the new models show this to not be true. Everyone at HR has already acknowledged the different pot design. Did I imagine that big, gaudy, gold Headroom sticker on the top of the 4.5V TA case? I don't think so.

The decription of my experience with both models is absolutely true. I have nothing to gain whatsoever by stating these facts. My transaction with Headroom is over, and water under the bridge. My only concern is for the poor bloak who is, in all probablility, buying most of these products sight unseen, and cannot afford to do Headroom's QA testing nor subsidize FedEx in the process.

I have no desire to rekindle a shouting match in this forum. Very few people have actually had both models in their possession, as I have. Again, everything I described from my experience is true. Headroom cannot deny that (well they can, they'd just be lying). Either the 4.5V I had was severely defective (in more ways than just the volume pot) and should be acknowledged as such, or my observations stand as true for all currently produced models as well. HeadRoom cannot have it both ways. What readers here do with this information is their business.

May 12, 2002 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 14
I don't know how old your used TA is, but I did own both the 3v and 4.5 TAH versions at the same time, which I believe you did not. I bought them brand new about 3 weeks apart, returning the 3v before the 30-day window expired. The ONLY outside structural difference I saw was the addition of the LED indicator. I had them side-by-side and if I covered the LED I could not tell them apart. And I totally disagree with your evaluation of the battery clips (the only part of the inside I could evaluate). Both were of the same very high quality clips, just made for different battery sizes. I also tried them both for several days because I had to decide which one to keep, and I liked what I heard from the 4.5 more. Either you have really bad luck and keep ending up with lemon version of products or you are really not a very objective reviewer. And that is what those “poor bloaks” you refer too need to understand as well.

May 12, 2002 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 14
Personally, I'd have a hard time believing that the case is any different, and I'd have a hard time believing that Danny is lying about those other components. For one thing, Headroom doesn't even manufacture that case, so if you have any problems with its construction then don't blame HR.

May 12, 2002 at 5:40 PM Post #7 of 14
After June 12, I will have the new Headroom 4.5V Total Airhead, the Jan Meier Porta Corda, and a JMT-built Altoid CHA47 amp. Hopefully I will either be able to borrow or buy, if necessary, a 3V Total Airhead to compare... I'll tell everyone what my own impressions with the Ety ER-4S and Senn 600 will be.

May 12, 2002 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Build quality -
---------------
It is here that HR's cost cutting measures to sell the new models at lower prices are immediately apparent.

I have to agree with the more haphazard fit of the battery cover, although I think it may have something to do with the new battery holders (I liked the old battery clips, too, but I'd rather the money was spent elsewhere). However, I don't believe that the case has changed at all. In fact, after I took apart my two TAH's for a geek gander, I put the new cover on the old amp before realizing that I couldn't fit the old cover on the new amp (there's no hole for the LED). It fit perfectly, except for the empty hole, of course.

If you want the raised HeadRoom logo, just remove the gold sticker. My first 3V AirHead (not a TAH) amp did not sport a sticker, but the 3V TAH I bought soon after did. I admit that the sticker is a bit tacky and would look better if it were flush with the rest of the case, but then they'd have to redesign the top with a rectangular impression. Cosmetics.

Like DeanA, I had both the 3V TAH and 4.5V TAH's side by side for a week or two (as well as the 3V AH). I think Danny is right about the external parts (switches, pots, etc.) being the same, although I cannot of course confirm it. The only noticeable difference is that the pot on the 4.5V TAH is harder to turn; this is great, since I used to have problems with accidental volume changes. BTW, the pot is not to blame for the crackling; rather, the noise is due to the new underlying electronic design

Quote:

Sound Quality -
All I can say is that the sound coming out of my current 3V model blows away the 4.5V model I had.

I guess this is subjective. The pot doesn't crackle, sure, that's been discussed ad nauseum. The new 4.5V TAH has a more extended treble (i.e., flatter), and is ever so slightly more forward. I MUCH prefer this with my HD600's: together with the Cardas cable, the headphones are now agreeably less laid-back. It has much tighter and less full bass, also to the HD600's benefit. Finally, the crossfeed is less flagrant in the mid-bass and bass. This was particularly noticeable with female vocals or pretty much anything in the center of the image. For example, the CD's in my collection that suffered most from the old crossfeed were Diana Krall recordings. This was actually the reason I upgraded to the 4.5V TAH.

May 12, 2002 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by DeanA
I don't know how old your used TA is

The model I have now is just an Airhead. Not sure when it was manufactured.

Quote:

Originally posted by DeanA
Either you have really bad luck and keep ending up with lemon version of products

No bad luck except for the first TA I purchased from HR. All of the bad construction points I cited are true on my sample. The regular Airhead I have now is built better and suits me just fine, especially for what I paid.

As far as sound comparisons, you may prefer the new models. To those that have actually heard it, I can respect their decision to make the tradeoff. I simply found those tradeoffs to be unsatisfactory.

May 12, 2002 at 9:42 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
For one thing, Headroom doesn't even manufacture that case, so if you have any problems with its construction then don't blame HR.

Neruda -
If you buy a computer from IBM/Compaq/Dell/fill-in-your-choice and have a problem with a part or two, do you go to IBM/Compaq/Dell/... or do you go to Intel/Matsu****a/fill-in-your-choice-of-component-part-manufacturer? Who's in charge of quality control here?

May 12, 2002 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by James
BTW, the pot is not to blame for the crackling; rather, the noise is due to the new underlying electronic design

Acknowledged.

May 14, 2002 at 1:57 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
Quote:

This is absolutely impossible. The inclusion of the power LED on the new models show this to not be true. Everyone at HR has already acknowledged the different pot design. Did I imagine that big, gaudy, gold Headroom sticker on the top of the 4.5V TA case? I don't think so.

How is what Danny said "impossible?" He mentioned the pot, switches, power jack, headphone jack, and case. I can see what you're saying about the LED -- gotta be a hole somewhere, right?
wink.gif
But a sticker is not part of the case. The switches are the same. The power and headphone jacks are the same. And while you've mentioned the volume pot several times, remember that it's not the pot making the "noise" -- it's what is happening inside the amp when you turn the pot.

So Danny, did you guys drill holes for the LED?
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2002 at 2:32 PM Post #13 of 14
Actually, the holes magically appear overnight. We think the good elves are doing it, as the milk and cookies we leave out are always gone in the morning. Rather amazing actually. It is the real reason we redid the airhead, as we had to put something in the hole.
In fact, the Democratic party has sent several teams of people to investigate the phenomenon (sp). We aren't sure why, but they were muttering about someone named Chad. Of course, we turned them away, as they were all lawyers, and therefore not sonically superior. (We tried to sell them a BlockHead, but they said they already had a surplus, and did not need any more)
I have to go now, as I live in Big Sky Country, and someone told me it was falling. (The sky that is). But it is probably just snow again.

May 14, 2002 at 4:08 PM Post #14 of 14
LOL!
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back