old solder? Anything wrong with it?
May 8, 2009 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

nullstring

Headphoneus Supremus
I am just getting into DIY, and I've been looking for some 63/37 solder.

I found this for sale on ebay.

The price is good.. and it seems to brand was bought by kester.

63/37 SOLDER- ( 2) - 1LB ROLLS .020DIA PLUS OTHERS - eBay (item 300311386330 end time May-28-09 20:23:44 PDT)

I am thinking about seeing if I can get a lb of .025 and a lb of .032 diameter for the same price. (which I think is reasonable.)

before I do so.. is there anything wrong with old solder?

a lb is like $25 on markertek. This is 2 lbs for less than that.

thanks

May 8, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 14
Plain solder lasts forever. Solder with a flux core has a shelf life of about 2 years. Doesn't mean it turns rancid the day after, it just starts going out of spec slowly after that. You could use it many years later, especially if you use additional flux, don't mind the extra nasty smoke, and clean the board and tips properly. I have some that's nearly 20 years old and it works fine for some things, even if it doesn't flow very well. But consider that it may be misguided to economize on solder because the cost per project is so small, and one flow problem could easily damage something work more than you save on the solder. There's also different kinds of flux, and some might not hold up as well as others.

May 8, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 14
I bought some very old (decades) solder on ebay a few months ago.

seems fine, flows just as well as the other stuff. smoke smells different but they all seem to, each brand I get, anyway.

there was another thread about solder 'going bad' but I have not found a lot of non-vendor info about this; and somehow, a vendor telling me that its own product needs replacing more frequently than my experience says - seems fishy to me.

May 8, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 14
I haven't had any issues with old solder. I've bought dustly old spools from stores that look like they last stocked in the seventies. The flux was OK. That doesn't mean that every kind of flux will be, but I wouldn't hesitate to use an old spool.

As for solder smoke, be sure to open a window or two and run a fan.

May 8, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 14
sounds good.

thanks guys.

Might have to do it outside or something >_>

My parents would not be happy about the window open while the air is on.

May 9, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 14
I've a reel of solder that is around 8 years old, and have no problems with it. I only use my other stuff because it's much finer, and works better in more situations.

Use it, don't worry about it.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

May 9, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #7 of 14
The only problem is that it has lead in it, which is now prohibited in Europe due to the RoHS directive. As to why Europe passed the RoHS directive, it's mostly for health reasons, but there have been criticisms that it's overly restrictive, so just make sure you work in a well-ventilated area.

May 9, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 14
Since I began offering flux bottles in my shop, I've had the opportunity to observe flux over time. The picture currently on my shop page is of my own personal bottle, which was probably a year or so old at the time. The needle tip allows some air to get in there, and it's always kept inside my house. The gallon jug I bought to fill that personal needle bottle was kept sealed and cooler. When I began selling flux bottles to others, the fresh pours were much lighter than my personal bottle. When I ran out of that first gallon jug I bought, flux bottles poured from the fresh jug were a bit lighter still. I assume this darkening is due to breakdown processes, either due to air, heat, or a combination of both.

Rosin flux is an organic compound, derived from pine sap, so no surprise that it breaks down over time when exposed to air, and faster when exposed to heat. When trapped within solder wire, it probably breaks down slower, but you can't totally stop organic breakdown at room temperature.

Bottom line, only buy it if it's cheap enough that a total failure to perform is not a serious problem. If it does perform well, great; that's the only test that matters.

May 9, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I began offering flux bottles in my shop, I've had the opportunity to observe flux over time. The picture currently on my shop page is of my own personal bottle, which was probably a year or so old at the time. The needle tip allows some air to get in there, and it's always kept inside my house. The gallon jug I bought to fill that personal needle bottle was kept sealed and cooler. When I began selling flux bottles to others, the fresh pours were much lighter than my personal bottle. When I ran out of that first gallon jug I bought, flux bottles poured from the fresh jug were a bit lighter still. I assume this darkening is due to breakdown processes, either due to air, heat, or a combination of both.

Yes, the "darkening" is a result of the solvent evaporating.

Kester - Knowledge Base

Or from the datasheet:
Quote:

Flux Control:
Specific gravity is normally the most reliable method to control the flux concentration of rosin-based fluxes.
To check concentration, a hydrometer should be used. Kester 104 Thinner is an appropriate solvent for diluting
this activated rosin flux to the desired solids content and viscosity, and for restoring solvent loss through
evaporation.

May 9, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 14
That explains why Rat Shack solder flows like... ...well, it usually doesn't even flow.

May 11, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sounds good.
>

My parents would not be happy about the window open while the air is on.

don't go nuts.

what I open the window for: glue or paint or things like that.

what I don't open the window for: soldering. not ever. not once.

solder fumes don't last and I think a lot of us simply exhale or blow toward the place you're soldering to keep the fumes moving
wink.gif
then they go away. problem solved
wink.gif

I also have a/c and don't open windows for soldering.

in every hardware lab I've been in, at work, there has never been 'windows open' (or even the ability -to- open a window in corp office buildings).

May 11, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it flows fine for me and my ratshack solder is 10+ years old. i can't really tell a difference vs. my kester 44.

I recently discovered l old spool of Radio Shack solder I got in the mid-'70s, and it looked/worked just like new stuff.

I think I got it when building my first soldering project, an electronic thermometer kit. Brought back some great memories!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back